September 26th, 2010

Hyundai recalling 140,000 Sonata sedans

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Sunday that Hyundai is recalling nearly 140,000 Sonata  sedans.

The recall announcement is due to a possible steering column defect on vehicles manufactured between December 11, 2009, and  September 10, 2010.

Filed under: U.S.
  1. tonyS

Defects are everywhere. Every manufacturer. Fact of life.

September 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jason

Thats my mom-in laws car!!!

September 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • andy

You saying you're gonna skip the recall on this one???

September 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

...I wish we could all be so lucky.

September 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. N

Is it American-made?
    It's American-made.

September 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kim

Awww, don't hate on the mom-n-law. LOL

September 26, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. amy

Hi, I just had a belt replaced for the steering wheel as I was driving it locked up making it hard to turn the wheel. I know just found out that the power steering line/hope has a leak due to a most recent whining noise. What should I do contact the nearest dealership? I have a 2001 sonata.

September 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

That whining noise is you! Just kidding.that's the sound your power steering pump makes when it's low on fluid. Replace the leaking line. If yer still whining...replace the pump!

September 26, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim Brieske

Brakes on Toyota
    Steering on Hyundai
    Both non union and 2 of the 3 automobile namebrand sales destroyers.
    I expect Nissan to have exploding gas tanks soon.
    jim

September 26, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Masta1

Toyota was tested to have no problem but user error. People are just trying to take down the giant. However, Toyota quality has dimmed down without those breaking or accelerator issues. They've tested it, it's the user that wants money.

February 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. monte

cheap rat wagons! this is to be expected of under trained, under paid and under qualified non union workforce.

September 27, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jim Brieske

Yeah. They need $30 an hour and a bar on their property within a 100 feet of their employee front entrance in middle of their nearest two employee parking lots. Also comfortably positioned half way between their employee front entrance and their furthest employee parking lot located across the street. That way everybody has about the same walking distance to the bar after parking. Plus they can get in that bar during breaks and return before the line starts back up. That's the GM Assembly Plant, in my hometown, that recently closed after 92 years.
    I mean, come on! You give a union so much power that a bar can be on the property! Why not just put a den of ill repute out there too. Actually that bar has nothing to do with it.
    It's God taking away their cash cow. He then gave them a 100 year flood. Next comes the day of tornados.There's a few buildings that deserve to be leveled.
    That's next year though.
    jim

September 27, 2010 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. phil

Not to mention armageddon.

September 27, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. Iknewit

I never cared for these cars, always knew they were overrated. People are so stupid for buying one, glad I have a Nissan. Hyundai is just a piece of junk and so are the Kia's. People go out and buy them in droves and yet when something goes wrong, its always under covered. This is a conspiracy to me. The news never says anything negative about Kia or Hyundai as if they are perfect cars, give me a break. They are a piece of crap. LOL. I know ya'll gonna get mad cause all of you are driving one but I dont care, they are just junk to me. Thats my opinion. No wonder they sold so many because customers are stupid enough to buy Kia'a and Hyunda vehicles. Risk of fire and sterring wheel coming disengaged while driving, sounds pretty serious to me,. Glad Im not making payments on either one of them. They are just ugly and over-rated to me. In five years when all the problems come from undr the rug, customers will start trading them in for better cars and laughing at you all for buyin them LOL. They are a joke!

September 27, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Changed1MG

You've proved you're the smartest one in the room.
      Do you feel better about yourself now?

I own a Mazda, and I've had more problems with it than with any other vehicle my family has ever owned. Oh, and my Mazda's never had a recall. I would have appreciated it if Mazda had actually issued a recall to address the problems they knew were common in their vehicles.

The Sonata is still on my short list for my next car – I might wait for next year's model, though.

September 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Masta1

Korean cars in general, first hand experience, has bad transmission, bad power steering feed back. With GDI engine, direct injection, the injector head with the exhaust of pistons will have carbon build up and will be terrible for maintenance also. The car is nothing like what it is commercial and promised. I start to wonder, is it really a step up that much, or do people get deceived by the looks and the performance of the GDI. Honda made much more powerful GDI engine 15 years ago, 2.0 liter, 274 horse. They stopped because of the maintenance headache. Again, I never trust somebody without experience. It's like kids recently graduate from college. Sure they learn new tech along with people in the industry, but they'll never match the experience.

February 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |