September 27th, 2010

Mountain-top removal protesters arrested

More than 100 people protesting mountain-top removal coal mining were arrested Monday outside the White House for failing to obey an order to disperse, the U.S. Park Service said.

All 114 people arrested at the protest against mountain-top mining were later released pending a court date, according to the park service.

The protesters, most from the Appalachian coal-mining states, had a permit to gather in front of the White House, but some failed to follow rules set out in the permit, according to a park service spokesman.

The protest capped a three-day event called "Appalachia Rising" in the nation's capital. Residents of states in the coal mining region - West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee - first came together for a weekend conference called "Voices from the Mountains."

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Coal mining • Mountaintop removal • Protest
  1. mad

I will write my elected officials,greed always ruining the environment.kill the world when we start dying at the age of 20yrs old from cancer.

September 27, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • scpenny

Thank you for your support. The representatives of coal states have been bought by the coal companies. Even locals fight over jobs versus environment eventhough each site provides very few jobs compared to tradtional mining. This practice is harming everyone downstream including those on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. I was one of the supporters at the rally on Monday. We also stopped at the EPA and PNC bank which still finances mountaintop removal. They failed to mention that in the article. They wouldn't want to upset a possible source of income. Please share this with everyone you know. Since the WV/TN/KY/VA congressmen won't support bills currently in the House and Senate we need as many people from other states as possible to pass this important legislation. I'm from SC and have already contacted my Congressmen.

September 28, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim Brieske

The protestors should not have been arrested. Their argument is a valid one.
    We as Americans are bombarded with looking beautiful. Advertisements, movies, television shows, the media, internet, school, work, going out etc etc etc it's all beauty this beauty that. Yet, we allow the beauty of mountain tops and valleys be turned ugly.There's no make up, plastic surgery or nice clothes to ever make them beautiful again.
    So that type of coal mining should not be allowed.
    jim

September 28, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. jerry

please whqat is more important resuing people or some mountain top please dont people have anything better to do with their time

September 28, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • William

First off Jerry, try proof reading and spell checking what you write and maybe everyone out there will have half a chance to understand what you are actually saying. Number two, it took nature millions of years to create something as beautiful as the Appalachian mountain range. It will take man just months to destroy it because they still refuse to accept that there are alternate fuels and energy producing systems out there in the world that can help wean the country off of fossil fuels. Maybe not completely but, considerably more than where we are right now.

One day people who just don’t give a damn about the environment will be standing looking out at a wasteland and wondering how, and why it became that way. It’s summed up in one word, Jerry. Greed.

September 28, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Apeman

Are you truly that uneducated or just high.....put it down while you're trying to type your incoherent thoughts......but alas, you probably can't even read what I just wrote....

September 28, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. phil

There is no need for US to burn coal nor oil. The US sits atop the largest known natural gas reserves on the planet and we could run virtually everything off of it. NG burns clean as in zero emmissions. So why don't we? Our goverment won't allow it.

September 28, 2010 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • termlimits

How about the folks that don't want any drilling? You still got to drill for gas, just like oil. Personally we need more drilling and more use of ALL our natural resources including nuclear.

September 28, 2010 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jimbo

How is it that protestors get arrested for failing to obey an order to move their bodies, while the coal companies they are protesting against are allowed to completely destroy our natural heritage, and entire ecosystems?

September 28, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
    • termlimits

We've come along way in the USA since the days of "...allowed to completely destroy our natural heritage, and entire ecosystems?" You can go find plenty of enviromental disasters and use this cause in communist china if you'd like, but we probably wouldn't hear from you again, ever. China, India, Vietnam and places like them are where the major problems are. Here in the USA you enviro and ACLU nuts just help the lawyers make a fine living on taxpayer money.

September 28, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
    • scpenny

You go to Appalachia and see what these mountains look like after they are mined. Minimal, if anything, is done to "restore" them the way the law says they must do.
      Go to http://www.ilovemountains.org to see pictures and this still doesn't show the true scope of the problem. People below the mining operations frequently are unable to use their own land and seldom have good drinking water because not only is the mountain top removed but it is shoved down into the valley below leaving heavy metals on top of the pile to wash into the watershed. All of the east coast from Appalachia south drinks this water. It's just less concentrated once it reaches the Ohio and Potomac rivers. This is not some ficticious thing happening in some remote country but something that is killing people in our own country. Just because this is a poor area doesn't mean that the people should be put in dangers way just for a buck and cheap energy. I was raised in the heart of mining country and will be buried there when the time comes. I'd like for there to still be a mountain for me to rest on.

September 30, 2010 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. David

The freedom to assemble is in the First Amendment. Infringing it has become too commonplace for my taste. I'm sorry, but I have the right to peaceably protest on public property wherever I choose.

September 28, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. MajorTom

Wow.the people commenting need to do more self educating.

September 28, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodrigo

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came acrsos this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to offer something again and help others like you aided me.

August 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shelly Jo

The government doesnt care what the people want anymore, that was shot out of the water years and years ago.

September 28, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Gary Nelson

Mountain Top Removal (MTR) is destroying our mountains for coal. MTR also pollutes our water, and is killing our citizens with carcinogens, WV State and Federal politicians have been bought by the coal companys. to stop MTR the change must come from the Federal government. What is the Obama admistration waiting for to stop MTR???

September 28, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nikith

Mark & Lori, Just wanted to tell you Thanks again for all your hard work. You guys were ceriatnly drained at the end of the night I could tell. But when I seen the results of our photos you took I could see why. Tonya started crying after looking through just the first few. They were amazing!!!! I never thought we were going to be so delighted as we were. Words can not express our thanks to the both of you. I promise you that if we need anything more I will let you know and we would ceriatnly pass your name along to anyone who mat be looking for a professional photographer(s). Absolutly amazing!!! Thanks again! Hope to stay in contact with you over the years to come. I may need your help when it comes to photos for my websites as well.

August 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |