September 28th, 2010

Eiffel Tower reopened after bomb threat

[Updated at 3:12 p.m.] A CNN cameraman on the scene says the bomb threat at the Eiffel Tower appears to be over.

Police are letting people return to the tower.

[Updated at 2:15 p.m.] The Eiffel Tower was being evacuated Tuesday after a bomb threat made by telephone call from a phone booth in the vicinity of the tower, police told CNN.

It is the second time the landmark has been evacuated in about two weeks.

The 1,063-foot (324-meter) tower was the subject of another bomb threat on September 14 that police later said was bogus.

The threat closed the tower and a nearby metro station. About 2,000 people were evacuated from nearby homes and businesses.

Post by:
Filed under: France
  1. RM

Why are people arguing over trivia like burqas ? And ponder which holy book proscribes what womens' fashions? Who cares? The issue is bombs, death and blood, my friends, not head-rags!

September 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pat - NJ

I was in Paris France the week of 9/14/10 with my daughter. She was at an international conference. I was at the Eiffel Tower, riding the Metro etc. No one knew of any threats. We only found out about the "woman who was wearing a bomb strapped to her body" was running around the city. Very scary when I got home and found this out. The public was not informed over there of the threat. I would have appreciated knowing so I would have been on my guard. In this country we know everything immediately

September 28, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. thesaint

September 28, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bill

Hate these time wasters, because all it does is anoy, only good thing is no one is hurt the bad thing is total disruption of the area

September 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chicagoK

I think most people know that the threat came from the French trucker union, but are afraid to make this public. EU labor unions are about to destroy the EU and send the countries back to the 19th century.

September 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lee

Someone is having a blast (no pun intended) calling and claiming there is a bomb just to laugh their backsides off when everyone starts running. Absolutely Ridiculous! Probably a bunch of punks with nothing better to do.

September 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jonboy

I had a crazy thought, what if this is some photographer who is trying to shoot a surreal picture of the tower without any people around in modern France? Keep your eye out for the first guy to set up a camera after the threat was called in.

September 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. George

It could not have been a Muslim, because Islam is a religion of peace.

September 28, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Michelle

Maybe they will call back with another bomb threat when the flying boat they stole from Iran has had a chance to refuel with coca cola and pop rocks and can make the 2nd half of the trip...

September 29, 2010 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. cesces

where is the rest of the story about the two brits and eight germans they busted that were in this terror plot leading al-qaida it was on my local news station ksl channel 5 headlined its official germans and brits behind terror plots!!!!

October 1, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |