September 28th, 2010

Suspected University of Texas-Austin gunman dead

A suspected gunman fired shots inside a library at the University of Texas at Austin on Tuesday morning before shooting himself, university spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon told CNN.

The gunman died, Weldon said. No one else was hurt.

On its Facebook page, the university police said they were searching for a possible second suspect.

Weldon said it was not known whether that second suspect was armed.

Students and others on campus were advised to remain indoors with their doors locked.

FULL STORY

KXAN: Second shooter reportedly at large

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Carlos

The story doesn't promote thier biased agenda, no need to report

September 28, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Clint Eastwood

Do ya feel lucky punk?

September 28, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. Michel

Very worry that CNN change,i will switch to better fresh news= facebook

September 28, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rick Shore

Just wondering, how many students on campus actually get the alerts, does the system really work that well? Do people miss it because it's sitting in their spam folders? Just wondering, from students currently there!

September 28, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • UTStudent

I've gotten all of the messages. Students really do pay attention to them. I got all of the University messages about it, the ones directly from the president, and all of the housing ones. They've been very helpful in letting us know what's going on and keeping us calm.

September 28, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Austinlonghorn

Yes the system works very well actually. A text messge alert goes out. I've received 3 already as well as an email. The sirens have been going off, too.

September 28, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Adrian

I was in class and we all received texts at the same time...even the professor. And as far as I know everybody gets the e-mail and some get two.

September 28, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David M.

Why is it always an "suspected" shooter or whatever?? When it's a fact, the question is removed and there is no longer a need to say the alleged or suspected shooter. Let's see....he was the only on in the library with a gun, shots were fired, he's dead. Did he allegedly die?? Or are we pretty certain about that?

If I rob a bank and they have me on surveillance video commiting the act, I'm not an alleged bank robber. I'm simply a bank robber. It's no longer a question of guilt or innocence, only a question of how much time in prison. But of course, in a sue happy society, I guess you have to cover all bases.

September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • UT Staff Member

Officials are trying to determine if there is a second suspect at large. Some eyewitness reports don't match the description of the "suspected" shooter. It's a confusing situation.

September 28, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. stillin

Should have been breaking news...minimizing the story, violence on campus's is BIG BAD news, isn't that what news sites love to show?

September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Patriot82

Top story for CNN. Aliens throw snowballs at polar bears... Seriously CNN sucks...

September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Manuel Rivera

I have a sister that goes to UT. She told me that the gunman got out of a blue car after being honked at by a taxi. The gunman fired several shot and entered the library. He got to the 5 floor and apperantly shot himself. She said it appeared to be an AK47.

September 28, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jesse

I hope the police are reviewing security cameras to identify the second suspect. Why do I have to think of everything?

September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. 2nd amendment

Criminals have a government guarantee their victims will be unarmed on campus. The law only stops law abiding citizens, not criminals, from having guns on campus. Legally this guy was not supposed to have a gun on campus. Yet he had one anyway. People who have a concealed handgun license legally cannot take their guns on campus, guess what, they don't b/c they're law abiding citizens. So the law only keeps the goods from having guns on campus. Thanks politicians for things worse for us.

September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Adrian

Ya but how would the police ever catch the correct gunman with 10000 armed people running around???

September 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. UT '77

WHICH library? Doesn't look like to tower from the photos? Ransom library? Law Library?

September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • VW

The shooting took place in the Perry-Castaneda Library.

September 28, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • CG

it's the PCL, across from Jester.

September 28, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. VW

I find it hard to believe that it took CNN over an hour to even post an article regarding the "shooting". I was able to find articles on this on all of the local news station websites. I refreshed my page SEVERAL times and there was never a "BREAKING NEWS" article posted about this. Get it together CNN, seriously. Also, et's not speculate on what could have caused him to kill himself. Instead let's wait until the shooter is identified and a little bit of background information comes out to shine a light on what could have caused this unfortunate incident to occur. I have several friends at UT and I will continue to keep everybody on campus in my thoughts.

September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. djunior

HE PROBABLY STILL WAS UPSET ABOUT TEXAS LOSING TO UCLA SATURDAY LOL.

September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lee

Ok, a shooting at a major university and we're getting reports from Facebook??? Wow...

September 28, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Johnny

As a UT student, interested in learning more about the shooting, nothing could be more frustrating than having to watch an ADVERTISEMENT before I can watch a video reporting on the shooting. What is wrong with you people? You need to rethink your priorities! Maybe the new Steven Seagal show on A&E is not as important as the school shooting?

September 28, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |