September 30th, 2010

Police riot in Ecuador over bonuses and promotions

Disturbances broke out Thursday on the streets of Quito, the capital of Ecuador, as national police protested the government's cancellation of bonuses and promotions, images on the official Ecuador TV showed.

The broadcast showed mobs on the streets and clouds of black smoke coming from burning tires.

Rank-and-file police took over their headquarters, Ecuador TV said.

"We work 14 hours a day," a uniformed officer said. "We are the ones who never protest."

Said another: "One hour without police. Let's see what happens."

Post by:
Filed under: Ecuador
  1. Matt

They already have had 3 bank robberies in Quito in the past hour.

September 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Tonya

5 banks robbed ,3 high schools in Portoveijo

September 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Me

I´m about to travel to Quito on Tuesday, now i´m a bit worried... :(

September 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ricky

If your traveling to Ecuador on Tuesday make sure you are aware that currently the airports are closed, Nothing gets in Nothing goes out.

September 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samuel Fierro

Dont worry our friendly and beautiful country will receive you better than you probably deserve... just mind the cops... anyway they are a minority and well sort them out ... you`ll see

October 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marco

That is what happens when you have a President who does not listen and is closed to any dialogue. In Ecuador, when we get mad, we get rid of politicians who are out of touch with the people. If he does not fall this time, next time we will be more effective.

September 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jess

Totally agree with the President! It's stupid to give bonuses to people that don't do anything! They just get corrupted by the minute! However, the few that are not corrupted and do work long hours they should get promoted and receive and incentive to continue to work the way they do.

September 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • David Jimenez

Jess you obviously have not been to Ecuador and if you have, you have never been to a police officer house. Please do not comment on issues that you have no knowledge. I would restraint my self from saying anything more if you can tell me the Ecuadorian police salary and when you do please make sure that you mention that is a MONTH and that they sometimes have buy, their own bullets because this government like the ones in the past are so corrupted. Not to mention that they are putting their life in the line everyday to catch criminals, just to see how a corrupted judge let’s then go free.

September 30, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samuel Fierro

Well Mr Jimenez, and sorry Jess for starting at your space but is where the comment I will start refering to first appeared, It seems that it is you who has never been to a police station or been harrased by an officer... probably your economical status or influences have prevented you from experiencing such distressing event, known to most ecuadorians who ever drive or walk the streets of Ecuador. But when you are not white rich boy in my country you see a chapa and run... that you learn in public highschool parallel to throwing rocks at them.
      This is the first time than more than 65000 weapons and vests were given to the force in decades and I remember joking about that saying it made me more scared than ever... I see my joke was not far from the truth
      You talk about buying bullets and my answer is that more of them are selling guns and I also know this for a fact.
      are you so close sighted that you cannot understand the seriousness of a police riot against their highest authority in the chain of command and the democratic president of a nation and jeopardizing the well being of all people in a country with their insubordination if possible their should all be fired and put in prison for life for treason to the country they attacked not a goverment but the people (central actor in a democracy) with their action... you should probably get a dictionary and learn the difference whenever you are done tanning. look for democracy you might as well get a clue of what was put a stake (the social structure and the whole idea of the stability of the state... yesterday for several hours our whole democratic order was torn based on ignorance and disrespect towards everyone there) And under that situation there is protocol... as in war, and part of that protocol is to secure internal and internal communication, is not a question of freedom of press its a question of reacting to a nation wide serious emergency...
      I don't know where you lived all these years but I was in Ecuador, and I saw decades of social unjustice for the benefit of priviledged fellows such as yourself at the expense of lives of the poorest (cause you dont get no social help when you are poor in Ecuador you starve to death literally... oh wait now with this president you do get a hand!)
      You really need that dictionary bro... revolution implies change and going back to the control of the priviledge who raise to power by steping on the lives of the poor and exploiting them and giving nothing back to the soiciety they exploit. I guess the world where you live was built with the price of the sacrifice of others and thats what you want back.

October 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ma. Carmen Cabrera

I really don't think it's fair to listen only one side of the story. I just arrived from my work and when I turn on the tv the only thing I could hear or see was the goverment's channel. All other independent channels are blocked!!. I do not accept that our president's policy to have all the control.

September 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ma. Carmen Cabrera

I really don't think it's fair to listen only one side of the story. I just arrived from my work and when I turn on the tv the only thing I could hear or see was the goverment's channel. All other independent channels are blocked!!. I do not accept our president's policy to have all the control over the media.

September 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Rafaela Auz

Correa dice "respetemos la Democracia"... Cuál democracia? Correa ha bloqueado todos los canales con una cadena nacional donde solo pasa noticias del canal del gobierno... de qué democracia hablamos??... aquí hace rato dejamos de tener libertad... Totalmente de acuerdo con el reclamo de la Policía... Basta de quedarnos callados!

September 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. corrupted

Go policia, the government gets good salaries meanwhile the police get crap.we give billions of dollars to educador enough to pay cops well and feed the poor.sounds corrupted to me

September 30, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. David Jimenez

It is a shame to see what is happening in Ecuador. Regardless of who is responsible I would like to point out that the real crime here is being done to the Ecuadorian people and their right to freedom of speech. It is outrages that the Ecuadorian Government has shut down all independent media for an unlimited time. Image for a moment that during September 11 the USA government would have shut down all independent media like NBC, CNN, ETC, this is what the Ecuadorian people are facing now. Only one channel is allowed to broadcast all the news and is from the government. I wonder what excuse he is going to offer to the Ecuadorian people and the international community other than using the government channel to keep him self in power.

I kindly request CNN and all International media to call on to all Ecuadorians to use all available technology to broadcast the realty of the country from emails with photos to videos and to finally give another voice to this crisis.

David Jimenez

September 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. David Jimenez

Por que nadie le ha preguntado a la policia por que reacionaron de esa forma tienen miedo de escuchar la verdad.
    La verdadera revolucion empezo hoy dia. Donde esta la prensa.

September 30, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. clayton

yahoo!

September 30, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. philipe eduardo redondo medina contreras

Media blackouts don't work here in the USa like in other countries. What works here are federal judges banning particular shows from airing. (what happened to connie chung) Also American's just change the channel when video of a missile hitting the pentagon is shown, so the media here dosn't bother showing it. Plus just using the term "blackout" might get you pegged as a racist.

October 1, 2010 at 4:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. translator

I will translate the last spanish comment: Correa says people should respect our democracy?what democracy? When Correo blackout all the cable stations except one and it is owned by the government. We lost liberty a long time ago,and the cops were the enforcers for the Correa regimne.we dont have freedom of speech

October 1, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply