October 4th, 2010

Monday's intriguing people

Louise Brown

When Louise Brown got married in 2004, a scientist named Dr. Robert Edwards attended the wedding. He was also one of two men present when Brown was conceived in 1977.

Due to the work of Edwards and Dr. Patrick Steptoe, Brown was scientifically conceived in a laboratory then implanted as an embryo in her mother's womb. She became the world’s first test-tube baby when she was born on July 25, 1978.

On Monday, Edwards, now 85, received the Nobel Prize for medicine for his work on in vitro fertilization, or IVF. Steptoe passed away in 1988. He would have shared part of the $1.5 million prize as well if he were still alive, reports say.

"It's fantastic news, me and mum are so glad that one of the pioneers of IVF has been given the recognition he deserves," Brown told the news agency Agence France-Presse. "We hold Bob in great affection and are delighted to send our personal congratulations to him and his family at this time."

Brown, 32, reportedly lives a low-key life with her husband near Bristol, England. The two have a son conceived naturally who was born in 2006, reports say.

CNN.com: 'Father of test tube baby' wins Nobel Prize

AFP: Father of the 'test tube baby' Edwards wins Nobel Prize

The Washington Post: Robert Edwards wins 2010 Nobel prize in medicine

The Guardian: Louise Brown, first test tube baby, is pregnant

Sean and Julian Lennon

Their father would have been 70 this week had he not been gunned down by Mark David Chapman outside his New York apartment building in December 1980. Yet half brothers Julian and Sean Lennon have long let go of the past.

In an interview with CBS News’ “Sunday Morning,” Julian Lennon said that despite previous conflicts with John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, he and Sean Lennon have been close for a number of years.

Julian Lennon, now 47, had pop hits of his own in the 1980s. And it was he not John who taught Sean how to play the guitar. “The truth is Julian was like my hero. He still is,” Sean told CBS. The two have remained close, with Julian even going on a two-week tour with Sean, who will soon be 35.

Today, the older Lennon has launched a career as a photographer. In September, he held his first gallery opening. His mother, Cynthia, John's first wife, as well as Sean and Yoko Ono attended. It is believed to be the first time all four had been photographed in public. Julian Lennon said any issues with Ono over his father’s estate are now over.

“If I hurt Sean's mother, then I hurt Sean,” he told CBS. “It's a roundabout way of thinking about things. But because I love Sean so much, I just don't want to hurt him."

CBS News.com: Julian and Sean Lennon come together

Emily Naslund

She’s 27, a Minnesota native and a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute. Capt. Emily Naslund is also commander of the Marine Corps' first “female engagement team,” which was sent to Afghanistan on a seven-month deployment. The team’s mission? To interact with Pashtun women who are culturally forbidden to engage with men outside their community.

Naslund and some of the other 39 women of the patrol are featured in a recent article by The New York Times’ Elisabeth Bumiller. They patrol various areas, including Marja, Afghanistan. “You’ve got 19- and 20-year-olds walking around in the world’s most dangerous place, knowing what could happen to them, and they’re willing to do that anyway, and they’re willing to do that with passion,” Naslund told the Times. This mission, she added, “is going to be the highlight of my life.”

At the same time, the women have had to tread carefully as military law forbids them to be in combat. They’ve had to shoot back when attacked. One even was the first to treat a fellow Marine killed by a sniper. “The current policy on women in combat is outdated and does not apply to the type of war we are fighting …,” Naslund wrote in an e-mail to her parents, friends and the reporter in July.

The New York Times: For female Marines, tea comes with bullets

1. Phyllis Poole

Are Sean and Julian Lennon stepbrothers , as the article says, or half-brothers?

October 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • maxtoo

Half-brothers.

October 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • RC

Half-brothers. Same father; different mothers.

October 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mcq

If you re-read the article, the author correctly refers to Julian and Sean as half brothers.

October 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lindsay

Sean & Julian Lennon are not stepbrothers but half-brothers.

October 4, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sally

yeah, the author got it wrong, they are half-brothers! Same father, different mums!

October 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Sam

I see others caught the mistake of the Lennon boys being half brothers not step. lol

October 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Stephanie

Does no one read w/any comprehension ? The article states – half brothers !

Nice article.

October 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quirkydude

It originally said step-brothers. Comprehend that?

October 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Stephanie, the funny thing about online news articles is that they can be edited after they're published. Imagine that?

October 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Whaa?

Why do articles still publish MDC's name? Just refer to him as the stupid a**hole.

October 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jondoe888

I agree. I think all killers should just get a number. If you can't remember their name in an article, just look it up. It's like glorifying their memory when their names are used. And there are so many, who can keep track! I would rather they not be remembered by name. Maybe the numbers should start with SA-H...

October 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. yankeetexan

How about we skip the "step" or "half" and just say they are brothers. That's what John would have said I think.

October 4, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. usaObama

Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play. The long and winding road. I’m looking thru you, what do I see. Strawberry fields, tangerine tree’s and marmelade skies. Follow her down by a brook by a fountain where rocking horse people eat marshmellow pies. I want to hold your hand. Closer let me whisper in your ear. Before this dance is thru you know I’ll love just you, I’m happy just to dance with your. Hold me tight, tell me I’m the only one. Come together, come together yes you got to come together. He wear no shoe shine, he got monkey finger, he shoot coke a cola. Oh no what can I do, baby’s in black and I’m feeling blue. Tell me oh, oh oh what can I do? He’s a real nowhere man living in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody. We can work it out. Life is very short and there is no time for fussing and fighting my friend. Let it be. Whisper words of wisdom, let it be. Love, love love. Girl, All you need is love.

October 4, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jenny Simmons

OF COURSE...Vatican condemns this. Does ANYBODY care a horses rear side what the Vatican thinks about ANYTHING, ANYMORE? No one with a brain larger that a peanut.

A Vatican official has said the awarding of the Nobel Prize for Medicine to British IVF pioneer Robert Edwards is "completely out of order".

October 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Limniade

Actually, I think they would be both step- and half-brothers, would they not? Same father, different mothers, but the wife of your father is your step-mother even if she's not your biological mother. In any case, it's nice to see that the two are close and have found their own way in life despite not only losing their father so tragically and publicly, but all the drama surrounding Lennon's legend. It's odd to think of John being 70, but then my own parents are near that age and I'm near Sean's age, so there it is, I guess. Life goes on despite everything.

October 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jim Brieske

The current policy for women in combat is not outdated. Time and time again if women were fighting alongside men, the men would do everything possible to protect the women. It is genetic. God designed women to be mothers. Men to be protectors and food providers. Killing brings out human's basic instincts.
    You can say, okay we will have all women fighting platoons. That is possible. But when the women are killed or captured and held captive, every man those women have come in contact with and befriended will potentially be rendered not suitible for combat.
    jim

October 4, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. phil

I personally do not like the idea of women sacrificing themselves to the god of war, but whatever crumbles your cookie is fine by me.

October 5, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse | Reply