October 4th, 2010

Townsend: 'Unspecific' travel alert frustrates tourists

Frances Townsend

President George W. Bush's former homeland security adviser, Frances, Townsend, says she thinks tourists and officials want details on the travel alert.

CNN contributor Frances Townsend, the former White House homeland security adviser, told "American Morning" on Monday that the U.S. travel warning on Europe is frustrating tourists and some officials.

The U.S. State Department issued the alert for U.S. citizens in Europe, based on information suggesting al Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks. Americans are warned to be aware of their surroundings and protect themselves, especially when they are at tourist sites, in airports or using public transportation. The alert does not warn U.S. citizens against travel to Europe.

Townsend said the alert is based on "unspecific, but credible threats," and she thinks tourists and officials would like to know more specifics.

"You don’t want to unnecessarily frighten people. On the other hand, you feel like you ought to give them enough information so they understand there’s a heightened threat environment," she said.

"Talking to officials now, they have been very clear with me about just how serious the threat is.  But I don’t think they have the specifics that you’d like to see in these kinds of warnings. And I think they’re also frustrated.”

1. Katy Hill

Americans are frustrated at anything that inconvieniences them. They are the rudest, loudest travelers in the world. They whine and snivel over every little thing it is so embarassing.

October 4, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Numbaoneballa

I'd say the French are worse.

October 4, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Texan

Katy, stop with your whining and sniveling already....

October 4, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Numbaoneballa

The boogeyman terrorists are out there and they're gonna get you!!!! Republicans = fear. Their main tactic is to frighten old people, it's truly pathetic. I'm not afraid of terr

October 4, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. hunter hogan

wow i never thought that this would happen

October 4, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. hunter hogan

heyy my sister is missing and she is middle aged now and was last seen in california her father is jerry hogan he is located in north carolina

October 4, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jim Brieske

The problem is, (if in fact an elevated terrorist threat does exist and it's not a politically motivated crisis created in attempt to gain votes for democrats), one can not gain specific information from a captured terrorist by simply asking What' your plan? This will result in laughter from the terrorist and him asking What do you think I'm stupid? Then saying, If you give me the chance, time and a sharp knife I will cut the head off of every American including women and children.
    You must torture and use Mao torture methods. Because it's your innocent civilians or them. Morality has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of ridding the world of terrorists forever. If that is not accomplished the future could become non existant for everyone.
    jim

October 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mehdi General Dr Bad

hmm she must not of got the memo,
    Any American Anywhere Can now be asinated . no trial no charges.
    Any american Anywhere Can Be arrested and Held With NO Charges.
    Any American anywhere can now Be Tortured.
    and Where The Fuk Is My M.I.A. Army Nurse?

October 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mehdi General Dr Bad

C.N.N Once was MY Favorite News. Then They Hired Nancy Grace and Glen Beck.
    To Whom I now owe My Thanx Becuse yes, in Fact I do now own Ted Turenr. AS Well AS Beck.
    I Take the Time and actully read All post By Service members as well as their Families.
    One of The mothers said Her Son Loved HIs JOb and asked if I – WE Loved ours.
    As I said To Her, I hate Most of My Job. All These pesky Rules and Laws I have to Follow.
    BUt There is a Small Part Which makes up for it.
    Such as When I get To Make an example out of You.
    Did YOu Fire Nancy Grace yet?
    Stilll Think you got it covered do you?
    Still want to play games and waste my time and words?

October 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Im NOt asking YOU C.N.N.
    I am telling You.
    Go Hire Back Sanzhez and Lou Dobbs.
    Or get your asses up and get the fuk out of MY Company.

October 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jim Brieske

I will explain it further. You must do whatever it takes to prevent terrorists from achieving a successful attack. At the same time be engaged in constant killing of them where they sleep while chasing other terrorists whereever they flee. But if a successful terrorist attack is achieved, the terrorists gain a victory and that victory leads to more terrorists being recruited by them.
    So it is imperative to stop victories by them from obtaining information any way possible. Now you can say, they will retaliate for torturing them.
    Hogwash. Individuals who would do something anyways, do not have the word retaliate in their ideology.
    jim