October 4th, 2010

Verizon's $50 million in "mystery fees" investigated

Verizon said it incorrectly charged 15 million consumers

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has confirmed it is investigating a reported $50 million in "mystery fees" charged to mobile phone users by Verizon Wireless.

A defect in Verizon's phone software caused at least 15 million wireless customers to be charged data fees, even if they didn't subscribe to data plans, Verizon said in a statement Sunday. Most customers received false charges of $2 to $6, which will be credited to customers' bills in October and November.

The refund is said to be one of the largest in wireless network history. READ FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Technology
  1. About time REGULATE THEM!

Need to regulate the mobile phone industry. This service is necessary for there is no other alternative availble since phones are a thing of the pass. Have people paying differently for the same service. Why do have to $200 for cell and landlines is $36

October 4, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Angry customer

Just got overcharged on my text messaging again, this is second time in two months! Starting last month, I have been receiving and sending duplicate messages, but the customer support lady from verizon wasn't helping (eventhough she mind-washingly telling me she is helping me many times throughout the call), basically she just repeat the same thing over and over to me, and gave me a bunch of information that would not solve the problem. Only thing she kept telling me was to move up to a higher text messaging bundle, I repeatedly telling her the problem is not I need more usage, the problem is they have a problem to fix on the technical side, but she ignores and keeps telling the same thing again. And the best part of all she was emotionless like a robot, and you feel like you are talking to a machine that have no idea what your problem was. She was a simple machine knows nothing but the policy. I finally told her my only solution is to do without the text messaging and have that canceled. Well, you got better idea than I do?

October 4, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobert bra jack

this is gay okay

October 6, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • bobert bra jacks sister mary me jack

this is gay go at&t yeahh

October 6, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. ang

That's a joke right? The company overcharge a lot more than they say...there must be something that can stop these monster companies...and that's truth you call them to get answers or solutions, you won't get any,from them...
    something must be done, until then, they'll keep on doing it.

October 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kimberly

Verizon customer service is useless they give you the run around and the bottom line is they don't help I've spent hours on the phone with no result. I think that's their agenda so you get frustrated and just hang up on them.I got rid of them and went to sprint a lot better customer service and a lot less time and aggravation on the phone with them. Are they doing the same with their cable internet services,just a question?

October 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kcrow

What about the intertest?

October 4, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ChevyDJ

Wow!! Glad I'm with T-Mobile

October 4, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Canuck

These companies are killing us in Canada and nothing is done. Crooks, damn straight!

October 4, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. duke

This should be classified as a crime!
    If you work in the bank and you take 5cent from every account everyday,
    Your going to jail!
    This is part of the reason for corporate hate,they probably invested all that stolen money in verizon stock then sold those shares right back to themselves and in the end paid SOME of what they really stole.

October 5, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. MaLiQ

Can anyone say American Greed !?!

October 5, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. sueannpastelslee

This conversation is going no where. It’s lacking the place of a good leader to head the things to come out on conclusion
    ***********************************
    sueannpastelslee
    <a href="http://www.compensation-personal-injury.co.uk&quot; rel="dofollow"No Win No Fee Solicitors

October 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. nandrolone

I will really love for you for guests posting on news.blogs.cnn.com

December 1, 2011 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |