October 6th, 2010

For last shuttle mission, send your face up in space

CNN Miami Bureau Supervising Producer Kimberly Segal tried out Faces in Space and her photo will be headed up with STS 133 and STS 134.

People from all over the world are signing up to fly on one of the last two scheduled space shuttle missions.

No training is necessary to be a virtual member of the STS- 133 or STS-134 crew.

"The general public has supported us through all of this, the good times and the bad times and we wanted a way to have them be a part of the last scheduled mission," says NASA's Debbie Byerly.

Byerly came up with the idea that is known as Faces in Space.  Anyone can go to the website, where you are instructed to upload a picture.

"We're digitally sending them up on the orbiter and they will be there with the crew, and then they'll bring it back down," Byerly explains.

Once the mission is completed you can return to the site and print a certificate. The certificate is signed by the Commander and says that the participant took part in the space shuttle mission.

1. Dingle

Waste of bandwidth.

October 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • :::::::::::::::::::: www.DomainersGate.com ::::::::::::::::::::

NOTHING can replace the Shuttle fleet! ... surely NOT the "commercial space"!

October 6, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pat H.

Hey Dingle Berry you are a waste of bandwidth. Kids would think it was cool.

October 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NotWanted

"We're digitally sending them up on the orbiter and they will be there with the crew, and then they'll bring it back down" Wow, that's just dumb. Sounds like the digital images will just fly up as stored data and nothing else will be done with them during the flight. I'd rather have something physical which flew on the mission, like a commemorative stamp or something.

October 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jay

You know what would be cooler is if they could somehow display all the photos up there, even if just for 1/100th of a second on a tiny screen, with a little camera snapping in shuttle surroundings at 1/100th of a second in sync. You could find a photo of your face on the shuttle. Charge $1 and raise money for charity.

October 6, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Donald P

I really wish they would have had better coverage of shuttle missions and Space Station on HDTV. With all the money that our tax money affords the nasa missions, we should be able to have young people be able to virtually ride along with 24 hour online HD space station cameras and such. I have directv and the nasa station shows mostly reruns and its still non HD in my area. The freakin shuttle program is almost done and I never got into it, even though I love the shuttle missions. But rerun footage and non live broadcast soured me.

October 6, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • AstronomyGuy

About one half of one percent of the federal budget goes to NASA. You make it sound as though they're swimming in extra cash. That is not the case.

October 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Christine

I just love this idea! I'm fascinated with the whole space thingy. Very cool.....

October 6, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Loren

Okay, so it's silly. But I've given them my picture. Why not?

And if they launch on schedule, I'll finally get to see a launch. :) And I got to see Discovery land after STS-26, the "Return to Flight" mission after Challenger, so I guess I've got a bit of a fond spot in my heart for her. I've been fascinated by space since I was growing up and watching the Mercury and Gemini missions. Best use of my tax dollars, as far as I'm concerned.

October 6, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DP44022

I took my kids to watch a launch this year and at first they weren't excited about waiting to watch it launch, but once they did they didn't stop talking about it for weeks, they loved it! I'm sending their faces into space, what a fun idea. I do like the suggestion of charging money for having your photo taken of the photo in space, I'd pay for that!

October 6, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hoss

Lets find another way to waste federal money. because the country is doing so well right now

October 7, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |