October 7th, 2010

Water ice found on second asteroid this year

Researchers who showed the first evidence of water ice and organic molecules on an asteroid in April have found a second instance.

Scientists have found evidence of an asteroid carrying water and organic molecules for the second time this year, bolstering the theory that the building blocks of life on Earth came from an asteroid, according to the authors of a new study.

Researchers from the University of Central Florida who announced in April the first evidence of water ice and organic molecules on an asteroid have discovered the same material on the new asteroid, 65 Cybele.

“This discovery suggests that this region of our solar system contains more water ice than anticipated,” said University of Central Florida Professor Humberto Campins. “And it supports the theory that asteroids may have hit Earth and brought our planet its water and the building blocks for life to form and evolve here.”

Both are located in the same region of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Cybele has a diameter of 290 km (180 miles), compared with the  asteroid 24 Themis – the subject of the teams’ first paper - which has a diameter of 200 km (124 miles).

Using infrared spectral imaging, Campins said researchers found enough structural evidence to identify water ice and organic material on the asteroid, which was found closer to Jupiter than Mars.

Campins will present the findings Friday at the 42nd-annual Division of Planetary Sciences Conference in Pasadena, California.

Post by:
Filed under: Space
  1. JC

Anyway, back to the subject at hand – science, especial astronomy is fascinating, isn't it? Seems that the old line is ringing true, at least in our solar system – "Water, water, everywhere!"

Good day people!

October 8, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. phil

So explain how, then, centuries before science deduced that the earth wasn't flat after all, the bible described "the eath is a sphere hanging on nothing."

October 8, 2010 at 8:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. phil

@religion is evil....I doubt myself or Osirus could have penned "happy are those concious of their sopiritual need sine the Kingom of the heavens belong to them" or "continue to love your enemies and pray for your enemies." Are these the words of an Egyptian god?

October 8, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. phil

Are these the words of an Egyptian god: "You heard that it was said 'thow shalt not commit murder'...however I say whoever remains wrathful at his brother will be held accountable to the court of justice" Doesn't sound egyptian to me.....and there is no way you nor I could have made these words up.

October 8, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. phil

"thou" rather

October 8, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. phil

Did Egyotian god's write "Stop storing up for yourselves treasures that moth and rust can consume, and where thieves can break in and steal." or "All things that you want men to do to you, you must likewise do to them." How could anyone think these are the words of an Egyptian god, unless someone lied to them and they believed it?

October 8, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Religion is Evil

I never said that the words made up by some guys claiming "Jesus" said them were the words of an Egyptian god. Be truthful at least if you are going to try and have a discussion.

October 8, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. repsycler

I'm really surprised by the comments posted here. Seems to me no one can answer the questions of creation correctly because we know so little. And yet you have to explain this in terms of human knowledge which is quite limited. No one really knows for sure how the universe was created . It all comes down to our own ideas or theories. Creation is a puzzle with a lot of the pieces missing. Theologians say it was a divine being. Scientist say a chemical reaction. It can neither be proven or disproven but does have a true answer that eludes us at this time in history. It's senseless to argue over an enigma, but quite human to insist your ideas are the right ones.

October 8, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. phil

Asking "who made God" is like asking where the universe ends. It doesn't end, and God wasn't made. We think along narrow lines that have both a begining and an end. Human history, for example, or even our very lives have a begining and an end. So it's hard for us to grasp that there was something....even before the "big bang".

October 8, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Religion is Evil

Sorry it is Horus, not Osiris – Osiris is Horus' son. @JC why would I want to read the Bible?

October 8, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. whitekong78

The Bible is actually a collection of books compiled into one catalog. There are books and stories that never made it into The Bible. I'm a biochemistry student and I believe in God. The universe is so huge and wondrous that in my mind it could not exist from nothing. There are laws in place defining how things work such like physics. I don't picture God to be some dumb moron deciding our fates. If God has infinite wisdom then why wouldn't that wisdom include chemistry, math and physics? I think some scientists and skeptics pretend to know more than God. Not all scientific theories can be proven yet the skeptic will take theory as fact while at the same time disregarding God as a theory. In my view the big bang is more theory than fact. Something out of nothing?

October 8, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. JC

RIE, for the same reason you would want to study ancient Egyptian mythology – because it is interesting, and you might learn something that you did not know before.

October 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nik

Hey JC,

I am a university student, and deeply interested in the relationship between faith and reason. My interest in science has taken me here, where I was a little shocked and dismayed to see so many irrelevant comments (this, combined with the fact that this post is a few days old, make me feel not so bad about adding to the irrelevance here). You seem to be one of the few among these trolls and ignorants with a level head, so I was wondering if we could set up a connection somehow to discuss a few questions.

Hopefully you get this – if you do, e-mail me at sliced_sublime@yahoo.com or respond on this reply.

Thanks!

October 11, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Religion is Evil

I could care less about Egyptian gods – my point is that Jesus is a fallacy. And I have read enough of the Bible to know that religion is evil and science and reasoning make a heck of a lot more sense.

October 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. phil

@religion is evil....you did in fact state that the story of Jesus originated in ancient Egypt. By qouting Jesus' words I was simply showing that there is no way ancient Egyptians would, or could come up with such loftly words.

October 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Religion is Evil

@Phil – yes, the story of Jesus and his words are two different things. I am saying that his story is a rip off of the egyptian gods. Next, his words, which were recorded almost 70 years after he died, could have been written by anyone. That was my other point. And written by anyone to create a fear based movement to follow Christianity – just like every other religion.

October 10, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzy Pooh

Whatever I dont care I hate this class Baker is stupid

March 17, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. devon shumpert

so if an asteroid hit we can survive under water if some animals survive from being under all we going to need is something to help us breah...............

March 17, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • devon shumpert

so if asteroids hit the earth then we can survive under the water because some animals survive from this so why can we

March 17, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |