October 8th, 2010

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes Costa Rica

A 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck 26 miles from San Jose, Costa Rica, on Friday night according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Journalist Djenane Villanueva in San Jose felt the earthquake and said it was very long but that she has not received any reports of damage or injuries as yet.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake
  1. gantz

it was very long eatrhquake 5.9 nera to zarcero there is no damage reports but some things droped out

October 8, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Your Tweet said Chile, but the website says Costa Rica. Which is it?

October 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gantz

is costa rica

October 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. no earthquake - sorry

Sorry, guys. That was me farting. I didn't think anyone would notice.

October 9, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sally

I was at home watching TV here in Costa Rica (not Chile) when I felt it, all my neighbors were quickly out of their condos, a little nervous and making calls to loved ones. I have lived here for 5 years and this one is the closest to home I have felt (I live 3 miles south of the city of San Jose) It was strong and lasted quite a while. I am a native Californian, am used to rocking and rolling but this one I really felt! Nothing fell as a result of the movement.

October 9, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. jerry

mathew#24 for all those who think the BIBLE is a book of make believe and for those people who think that GOD is not real this i proof how many earthquakes have happened in the last couple of years i suggest you read this passage of scripture prophesy being fullfilled right before your eyes

October 9, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nat

Jesus said the end will come like labor pains...each time getting stronger...not making light but i think right now we are just having braxton hicks...

October 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. La Piovra

That is the Caribbean plate shifting again. Thank God it was not Chile – not when the miners are so close to rescue. Nonetheless, there appears to be an upsurge in tectonic activity. Seismology is not my field, but it seems to me that if the atmosphere and the oceans are both warming, so too must the crust, if only minutely, and even minuscule expansions could cause the plates to push and slip. Still gotta smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette?...

October 9, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phil

No doubt earthquakes are on a rampage as never before. I've never seen any of the anti-God scientists looking into what happens when billions upon billions of oil are pumped out of the earth relating to siesmic activity. What happens when there is a void where there was oil/natural gas under tremendous pressure? Imagine how huge these voids could be. And I'm not just referring to empty space here when I say "void" . The formations that have for eons been under high pressure have been bled down to a low pressure. Surely this has at least something to do with seismic activity. (granted, not every oilwell leaves a physical void)

October 9, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. La Piovra

In fact, the Deepwater Horizon was drilling into the Sigsbee Deep, which appears to be part of a triple junction involving the Mississippi Embayment, a failed rift in the North American Plate, and the border of the long-dormant Florida Plate. I don't doubt that could set off something, but I'd expect it closer to home. Meanwhile, I don't see what being pro- or anti- God has to do with it, since whether or not one assumes God made the laws of physics, there is no reason to assume God would suspend them. I just think it might be prudent to quit heating up the planet and poking holes in the Sigsbee Deep.

October 9, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Brieske

phil. I believe they put water back in the space from which they pump oil. I'm not positive about it, but I think I heard that on television somewhere.
    Costa Rica does have alot of Californians. Surfing is great this time of year.
    jim

October 10, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. phil

@La Piovra....I said "anti-God" scientists because of all the exoense our scientific community invests in trying to prove there is no God, yet won't spend a dime investigating seismic activity related to drilling operations.

October 10, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. jerry

people spend all there lives trying to prvethat there is no GOD and the die and they meet HIM face to face but by than its too late amazing isnt it

October 10, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. phil

@Jerry...yeah, it is. I think it's because people enjoy lifestyles prohibited in the bible, and admiting God would be like admiting their life was for nothing. Even the 80% of US claiming to be Christian...most only know what their preacher or priest tell them, and have a poor personal knowledge of scripture. These religious leaders twist God's word, making it appear that these contrary lifestyles are OK w/God, to the delight of their listeners/contributors. To tell them otherwise would cost them their jobs.

October 10, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • jerry

@phil amen preach it brother

October 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. La Piovra

Myself, when young, did eagerly frequent
    Doctor and saint, and heard great argument
    About it and about, but evermore
    Went out by that same door wherein I went –
    Omar Khayyam, The Rubaiyyat
    I doubt anyone is investing research in the non-existence of God, because it can't be proven, let alone how God is or what God wants. Khayyam nailed it. Let us take care of what is in our human scope, which is considerable on our planet, slight on the Moon, and virtually nonexistent beyond.

October 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • jerry

when you go outside and look around at the sky at the stars at the universe that my friend is GODS handywork the air we breath the fact that people like you who say that GOD is fake are still alive if GOD wanted to HE could wipe out humanity as we know it because of our sinlfullness but HE choses not to because of HIS LOVE for HIS creation

October 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |