October 8th, 2010

Killer on Texas death row gets temporary stay of execution

The Supreme Court has issued a temporary stay of execution for a man convicted of the 1988 murder of a Dallas, Texas, convenience store security guard.

Gayland Bradford is scheduled to be executed Thursday.

His lawyers say Bradford is mentally disabled with an IQ of about 68. The Supreme Court has banned executions of the mentally disbaled but has established no clear standard of determining who meets that category.

The stay Friday afternoon by Justice Antonin Scalia gives Bradford's lawyers more time to file a full appeal on the constitutional issues surrounding his conviction and sentence.

FULL STORY

– From CNN's Bill Mears

Filed under: Crime • Death Penalty • Texas
  1. Norman

yardtick writes: " If anyone harmed my family I would not just want them dead, I'd want to kill them myself.". However, the paragraph ends with: " Things like the death penalty should never have been allowed in a country that considers itself a country of laws. Killing someone for killing someone is simply stupid."

Now what is that all about?

October 28, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. justice for victims

Agreed! this guy was smart enough to know how to kill someone so why spare him now.

October 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Veritas

You are a disgusting individual. First you advocate state murder, which shows you have the mentality of a Neanderthal. Secondly you use the word "r*t*rd." Ther are many people out there with disablities through no fault of their own. You want to make fun of people who have disabilities? What else do you do for fun, push old women down the steps and drown puppies? Third, perhaps this person's disability prevented him from knowing right from wrong or being able to be able to understand the consequences of his actions. The murder penalty, that is the act of the state comitting murder as punishment for crime is a national embarrassment. All civilized nations have long sense abandoned that sanction. Hopefully, one day the United States will become civilized and due away with this barbaric practice. State sanctioned murder and people like you make me ashamed to call myself an American. Oh, and by the way, imbecile, no I'm not leaving, so don't even respond with "Love it or leave" BS. I'm staying right here and will try to change things. You and your remark make me physically ill and have no place in civilized society.

October 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Sigmund Erectus Floytz

Kill the blackque BaZTURD!!!

October 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sigmund Erectus Floytz

Hang the blackque SOB!

October 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sigmund Erectus Floytz

cuz blackque retards are an endangered species!!!

October 8, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Sigmund Erectus Floytz

we should spare this guy...everyone knows blackque retards are an endangered species!!!

October 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Hamish

Very well said, it's a shame people think they do.

It's Texas what more can I say, they have a justice system that is extremely
    Harsh on punishments, ie people being sentenced to 200 yrs for burglaries and a state that the highest execution rate of anywhere in the US.

And what has all this achieved, nothing, Instead of locking everyone up for eternity and executing everyone should be looking at the causes of crime and prevent them prior to commission. I fully understand you can't stop all crime, but if something can be done it should be.

You might like to start at gun control, why on earth does every second person feel the need to own a firearm, you lot have way to many firearms out there!

October 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ElKabong

Let's see what happens if someone with "disabilities" kills a member of your family. I wonder how you would react then? By the way, isn't calling someone an "imbecile" not PC, kind of like calling someone "retarded"? I guess your guard slipped once you got angry enough, you sanctimonious, smug, elitist buffoon.

October 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. spodulike

at least there are a few americans who arn't reactionary thugs

May 30, 2011 at 4:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. yardtick

I haven't read all of the entries, but the sides are pretty clear. Pro deaath are petty redneck republicans while anti death are intelligent Liberals. Don't get me wrong. If anyone harmed my family I would not just want them dead, I'd want to kill them myself. Our laws are supposed to protect us from the lynch mob justice of the wild west. Things like the death penalty should never have been allowed in a country that considers itself a country of laws. Killing someone for killing someone is simply stupid.

October 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Canuck

Damn straight

October 9, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Franny

Good reply yardtick, and when are people going to get that there are some things worse than death! That really just end the suffering of the killer. Also, too many innocent folks have been executed in this Country. That's a fact!

October 27, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Norman

Now what is that all about?

October 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply