October 9th, 2010

Pakistan reopens Khyber Pass

[Update 10:40 a.m.] The Pakistani government on Saturday announced its decision to reopen the Khyber Pass border into Afghanistan for NATO supply convoys.

"After assessing the security situation in all its aspects, the government has decided to reopen the NATO/ISAF supply from the Pakistan-Afghanistan border at Torkham with immediate effect," the government said in a statement.

[Original post] Pakistan could reopen the Khyber Pass in the next 24 hours, though full traffic is not expected until Monday, a senior U.S. military official told CNN on Saturday.

Pakistan closed the main land route for NATO supplies crossing from Pakistan to Afghanistan after U.S. helicopter strikes across the border killed two Pakistani soldiers.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Pakistan
  1. whitekong78

In a perfect world that would work Marine. Politics usually gets in the way of results though. I also read the report of the Pakistani offensive, but they stopped after that and went back to publicly blasting our drone strikes if for no other reason than to appease its people. I'm actually not a fan of the drone strikes either because of the civilian losses incurred. Door to door raids work better when clearing the territory.

October 10, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. phil

. " He will reduce taxes and debts, he declares, and has done so, to our economic ruin, and the bareness of our treasury which has been looted for wars....and the benefit of foreign nations" –Cicero @nd goodnight all

October 10, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Marines123

Whitekong! Yes I agree about congress waisting billions in Iraq and Afghan. In addition, Pakistan stopped the offensive and is blasting our drone operations. I'm a fan of drone strikes. Less risk to our ground forces and don't forget, were not allowed in Pakistans back yard, but isn't funny the Taliban is allowed in Pakistans yard? I really believe Bin Laddin is held up in the rougue border area of Pakistan. To much hostile activity near his location.But a verry strone drone offensive, I believe will kill weary battle tired Talibans.

October 10, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Marines123

Another interesting thought for me was that we are actually chasing the enemy away. They have been scattered all over the place. Crossing back and forth into Afghan Iran Pakistan . I think the only solution left right now is to train the Pakistan Airforce and ground forces for a balls out offensive into the tribal regions of Pakistan.

October 10, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jim Brieske

I hate to say this, but phil I think you are suffering from battle fatigue. Nine years of war has caught up with you and now you're questioning why we're there.
    So... much like the myth of a Leprechaun having a bag of gold, you've created this Afghani pipeline flowing with Russian black gold stolen by Dick Cheney and being sold to the Chinese.
    I will check into this anyways. Although you were wrong about Hitler. I read your comment. Left, returned and just posted based on your comment. Then I read all the comments after yours. Wait, the Hitler comment, this mysterious pipeline, I don't know. May be blogger battle fatigue.
    I will ask around about this pipeline anyways though.jim

October 10, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Marines123

As evidense suggest. Every Country that has been infested with Taliban pollution has either eliminated or fought out the Taliban and Al Queda slum. But for some reason Pakistan has done verry little to stomp out these slum bags. They are becoming safe havens of the Taliban. Even Mexico has proven to go balls out against terrorist drug lords! Something to think about?

October 10, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Marines123

I really don't know about a pipeline going into China? But I would belive a pipeline going into the US! But let's not get battle weary. We need to stay focused on a continued plan to route out the Taliban Commander

October 10, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Marines123

Should we just cross into Pakistan and give the Taliban their worst nightmare? And maybe go balls out against Pakistan if they go against us? What the hell at least we can wipe out the old school?

October 10, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. phil

@Jim....good! Try starting with a "google" search "pipelines in Afghanistan". That will get you going.........as for the "Hitler" comment, I had erroneously posted that Hitler had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, when in fact he had "only" been nominated. It's been nearly a decade since I had last spoke of this, so it was a simple human error....not an intentional lie.

October 10, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. phil

...and I just remembered! Hitler was Time Magazines "Man of the Year"in 1938. My point was that these awards oftentimes have little to do with true peace, and much ado about what appears to be.

October 10, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. phil

And a hush fell over the rabble...(click)

October 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jim Brieske

No phil. I know many wealthy influential people. From old Texas oil money to big name Hollywood producers to the world's largest residential home builder to a Wall Street multi billion dollar oil deal closer to a motorcycle company owner to a banker son of ski resort owner to the granddaughter of the planet's most famous painter to a lawyer man in the Nixon administration who went to prison for Watergate to an older world famous downhill skier who gave me a time challenge to retired General's wives to the CEO of GE to a very intelligent extremely beautiful woman named Liz (who I love), her father was a great news anchor, if he said tomorrow the sky will be yellow w pink and purple polka dots I would have believed him along with millions of other people and the list goes on and on with me in the middle.
    I have laughed with them all and had really great conversations.
    Except with Franz Klammer, I was too busy beating the time he gave me with a minute to spare.
    jim

October 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. phil

All of US oldtimers have rubbed shoulders with those people Jim. Not because we are somehow special, we've just been around a long time. Have you found out about the Afghan pipelines yet? Or the organisation that has fought for free-speech in the supreme court like no other? These are the things that matter most. Certainly more than rubbing shoulders with Mike Tyson or Wayne Newton. (wink)

October 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply