October 11th, 2010

Obama seeks bipartisan support for infrastructure upgrade

President Barack Obama called Monday for Congress to approve a $50 billion plan to begin upgrading the nation's crumbling infrastructure, saying such an investment is vital to creating much-needed construction jobs and keeping the nation competitive in the global economy.

In a Rose Garden statement at the White House, Obama called for bipartisan support when Congress returns after the November 2 mid-term elections so that the first phase of a proposed six-year infrastructure development plan can begin.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Economy • Politics • U.S.
  1. Jim Brieske

Actually I shouldn't be so hard on him, he is our president. But we can't keep spending money. Especially when there is no good accounting of the money.
    Sometimes I wonder if he has a bunch of storage units. He's just having them filled with billions and billions of dollars using a forklift.
    Anything is possible when a trillion dollars has not been accounted for. I haven't seen a list. Put it all in a book. Sell it for 29.99.
    Now he wants 50 billion more. That to me is beyond, well that takes alot f ing nerve to even say it.
    Now I'm angry again. Maybe he should resign.
    jim

October 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. whitekong78

I want to be very clear where I stand on certain issues because I find both parties repugnant at the moment. Had Bush and Obama not essentially thrown away $1.4 trillion within a 2 year period then I would not mind some programs that Obama wants to pass. I'm not against social programs but I'm against ones where people live off the taxpayers with no expectation that they get an education or a job. Other than disabled people everyone should chip in. The utter arrogance the country is witnessing by both parties with our money is why most people are disgusted. Choosing a candidate within the 2 party system is like choosing which teste you want kicked.

October 12, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. whitekong78

$1.4 trillion dollars could have given every taxpayer $30,000 and that would be an instant boost for the economy. Can you imagine the spending spree being done? Who got all that money? Rich people who messed everything up in the first place. What do the rest of the folks get? Food stamps.

October 12, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. phil

You make a certain point(s) there whitekong78. I think part od the problem is that many of US are happy with "bread, circus, and gladiator game"...making life a little more miserable for those of US who aren't.

October 12, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sherri W.W.

While I cannot account for what Repus&Bush did ~like TARP~BEFORE Pres O.was into office~HE had to come in RUNNING AT FULL SPEED~to stop what He could of the total MELTDOWN GOING ON FOR ALL BUT THE RICH!~While He would probably have loved to have time to watch how every person&place,spent every dollar of stimulus money~that was impossible!but~for most part the stimulus worked well.It kept unemployment going for people to live AND spend the money~to keep more jobs!~For instance~just an area of about 100miles around me~thousands of workers have put in beautiful repairs to to highways around here~withsigns showing funding by stimulus~and narry an"illegal"in sight among the workers!~Now~THOSE workers thenspend THEIR checks in our stores * gas staions etc~thereby keeping THOSE FOLKS WORKING AN GIVING US Double for our money!~Yhat~and REASONABLE taxes,is what will bring our jobs&economy ALL the way back!~Thats#1 to getting EVERBODY going again!~We have gotten a VERY GOOD RETURN FOR MOST OF OUR STIMULUS DOLLARS~we really have!_Pres.O. has got it right but has to have the time to FINISH bringing back~we are just Started!

October 12, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • MGK

How old are? You don't sound like you the what you're talking about.

October 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

If not for nations like China extending US credit....

October 12, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. phil

....we would be discussing "economic stimulus" while standing in a bread line.

October 12, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MGK

Funny how Obama wants bipartism support but he didn't ask for that while he shoved the Medical Bill down everyone's throat without a biparism vote or the Zillion dollar Stimulus spending Bill he shoved down our throat. He's made a mess of our country and now he wants bipartism support because he knows he's on his way out! Well, I only have this to say, "buh bye".

October 12, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mimie

Please don't hate because I am a caring, loving and a fair president

October 14, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. COMMANDER,K

-President Obama is like a destructive child who takes apart a priceless watch that was carefully passed down to him. Without regard for the value of what he holds, he recklessly scatters the pieces on the floor and then can’t put them back together again. Failing to learn from his mistakes, this destructive child moves on to another room where he finds another watch to take apart. Once again, he cannot put the pieces back together. That doesn’t stop him from tearing apart yet another costly timepiece until all that’s left are the pieces of discarded, functionless watches lying at his feet. What’s worse is that nobody steps in to stop him before he destroys again.==== TO THE WEAK-KNEED REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRAT…..TO ALL THE COMMUNIST IN THE IG,FBI,CIA,AND U.S. Senators and the left wing media outlets…..Wake up america!!!! This goverment is the most corrupt we have had in years. The good old boy network is very much in charge.Mr. obama and pelosi are the puppet masters.How many of their good friends benefited by the agreement ” what a farce. All of the u.sSenators voted for this. I am ashamed to say I voted for the these corupted self serving politicians.With good reason they picked an out of towner to be president.All u.s departments need an overhaul. We need to rid ourselves of the puppet masters and the dept heads that bow down to obama and pelosi.I am sick of the lip service I have been getting from these dummies over violations, their friends are getting away with.in the goverment . Barack Hussein Obama , threatens friends and bows to Mmslim.
    COMMANDER,,, REPOST THIS IF YOU AGREE .. THE END OF AMERICA-