October 12th, 2010

Judge orders military to stop enforcing don't ask, don't tell

A federal judge ordered that the U.S. military stop enforcing the don't ask, don't tell policy on Tuesday.

Judge Virginia Phillips ordered the military "immediately to suspend and discontinue any investigation, or discharge, separation, or other proceeding, that may have been commenced under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"."

The judge had previously ruled that the policy regarding gays serving in the military violated service members Fifth Amendment rights but delayed issuing the injunction.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • Military
  1. Fred

I'm glad I served years ago. Everyone I served with was mad at Bill for allowing the don't ask don't tell. Wouldn't join the military now with all the changes.

October 12, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Robert

The very fact that the Judge ordered the injunction PROVES they have no regard for the military at all.

October 12, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Chicagoan

Great, another lib judge from Cali makes a declaration. Ohhhhhh lets drop everything and obey. She must still be upset that it was yet again voted down by Congress. The military will never uphold this without Presidential/Congressional consent. Suck it up.

October 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ProudWife

Even if this is the end-all-beat-all decision anyone who knows anything about the military knows it'll take ages to give gay/lesbian soldiers full rights comparable to those of married soldiers such as DEERs enrollment/Tricare, separation pay BAH, BAS, on base housing, etc. It takes 6-9 months to be reimbursed for a single TDY! I don't have a problem with gays/lesbians serving but don't ask me I'm not a soldier....I'm just married to one! This isn't the end of this battle.

October 12, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. DADT your mom

Being gay can't be compared to being black. One is a choice one isn't. Being in the mlitary the DADT policy simply means "mind your own business." I don't care if you are gay, and I don't want you to tell me. What purpose does getting rid of DADT serve? It doesn't oppress gays....it's saying do what you want but I don't want to know about it. The only thing that is going to happen if this is overturned is lawsuit after lawsuit. The majority still view this policy as a good policy. Uniformity and Unity is what the army promotes and this would drive a wedge in the peace of the military. Gays aren't slaves, they are sinners.
    -Right Wing, Bible Tot'n, Regan, Conservative Democrat-

October 12, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joey

For all of you moronic, sheep complaining about judges "legislating from the bench," let me explain something to you: The American legal system is based on the common law tradition, which means judges are empowered to create law. If you FOX-watching sheep would prefer that only the legislative branch create law, then you are opposed to the American tradition, and you are more inline with the civilian legal tradition that exists in .... (wait for it, wait for it) .... FRANCE. So you have two options: (1) accept the American tradition; or (2) leave this country.

October 12, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. phil

Don't come out of the military closet yet...Obama has 60 days to appeal this Judges decision.

October 12, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mark

This crap makes me sick. Everyone is talking about "biggots" and choices and intellegence and such. The way I see it is these freaks have a choice whether they are fruit or not. And I, just like them, have a choice. I choose not to accept this! You can not force this on people and expect no retaliation. There is intellegence for you! as far as "biggotry" is concerned, get a new word!!!

October 12, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. millard

@mike81 I Could care less what military u served in its a fact that in the closet gays have been in the militaty however now gays can pretty much do whatever they want because of this stupid judge we need to understand that gay are people who want to be considered special people and they want special rights they want to be considered the new minority group mike if u want them u can have them.

October 12, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Gregg

I not only have served in the military but currently serve. The Federal Judge in question is *not* in San Francisco – her court is in Riverside CA (not that the location actually matters). Neither does the ability to reproduce matter in the military – or are we going to exclude all men and women who are either naturally or through surgery now incapable of reproducing? As Barry Goldwater remarked "You don't need to be straight to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight."

October 12, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. LTS

If the military cannot enforce DADT anymore that means the gays can't serve in the military period. DADT was to allow gays to serve provided they did not tell anyone or engage in being gay. By taking away DADT we go back to the way it was and should be, that gays are not allowed in the military. Thanks Liberals, you shot yourself in the foot. Also, the military is optional, no one currently in the military joined against their will, if you joined you knew the rules before you joined and it is your duty to your country to follow said rules. If you don't like it get out of my military. If you have never served on active duty your opinion means nothing.

October 12, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. The Way It Is

It doesn't matter. After Obama, America will have all the jobs in the world repairing all the damage and humiliation caused by the Obama administration. The gays and their puppetmasters won't have time for destroying The US Armed Forces when they're all dead and gone away.

October 12, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. whitekong78

I don't think outed gays should be kicked out of the military. There are already gay people serving valiantly, so I'd disagree with any action based on someone's lifestyle. There are straight men who tease each other in manors that might offend a gay person. Often military guys tease each other based on religion, ethnicity and a number of other things. Being in shower situations with a gay person might make some people uncomfortable though. Other than serious harassment or abuse I'd say that a gay service member shouldn't be allowed to sue the government over teasing. Leave your personal life for when you're on leave. S,e,x has no real place in the military. Just my opinion.

October 13, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. phil

I wish the gay communty were intelligent enough to see that the government is simply luring them out into the open. Just like they do with marijuanna users. Lure them out, register them, and after the already penned "victory act" and "noachide laws"(already ratified) are enforced........POOF! those two groups will be in one of our illustrious "homeland security" prisons. If i were gay, I would leave before this occured. If I were a marijuanna user, no way in hello I'd register myself as a federal law violator.

October 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. USMC Ret.

The Marine Corps will be 235 years old next month. The Army and the Navy just a little longer. In all that time a very few things have changed. Mission accomplishment was, is, and always will be first priority. Troop welfare comes second. It is the NCO (the small unit leader) that makes this happen. No judge, politician, or policy will ever change that. With that said there were two gay marines in the last infantry unit I served in one we got a BCD (bad conduct discharge) to for anouncing the fact that he was gay by sodomizing his roommate in the barracks while he was passed out drunk. Both had been drinking. The other gay marine was sent up for a meritorious board and recieved an advanced promotion. Befor I was forced to discharge him as well. One I couldn't wait to get rid of the other I was sorry to see go. Back then it was my job to make the units mission happen, and take care of my troops as well. I'm confident that today's NCO's will do what's right by the mission at hand, and for the troops they lead.

October 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply