October 12th, 2010

Judge orders military to stop enforcing don't ask, don't tell

A federal judge ordered that the U.S. military stop enforcing the don't ask, don't tell policy on Tuesday.

Judge Virginia Phillips ordered the military "immediately to suspend and discontinue any investigation, or discharge, separation, or other proceeding, that may have been commenced under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"."

The judge had previously ruled that the policy regarding gays serving in the military violated service members Fifth Amendment rights but delayed issuing the injunction.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • Military
  1. Chuck

Sorry, leaving. The Morons are out in force today..

October 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. OMG2010

There is a slippery slope. Women and men are naked on tv now; didn't happen decades ago = slippery slope. Contraception legislation led to abortion and now eithansia = slippery slope. Gay civil unions (sorry, but it's not a marriage) will lead to approval of polygamy in the next few decades.

October 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dawg

Wait.....this could be good. If they come out, put em on the front lines with slingshots.

October 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HOMELAND INSECURITY

Put them on the Border – http://www.BorderInvasionPics.com

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dino S.

Guess what people (who don't like today's decision). Gays and lesbians already serve openly as police officers and firefighters. The SAME arguments were used against them serving openly. Get a clue.

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • jdoggers

Yes. We should let them serve openly. That way we know which tent to throw the friendly fire grenade into.

October 12, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bsbogus

I am very pleased with anyone who will fight for my freedom. Whenever someone else fights for my freedom it allows me to live my life and gives me opportunity I would never have other wise. I would fight till the death for our country, but anyone who takes my place is more than welcome. Thank you troops!

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Duk Sausage

Good Luck with that.......from the old school.... keep it to yourself and none of this is even relevant....Gay peoples problem is they want everybody to know, and accept who and what they do( not what they are) Simple people jump right into the whole "thing"

Personally I don't care what you claim to be. as long as you don't mess wit my money and way of life I could give a rats ass....

and DADT..... you will see the ramification on a global scale... just wait and see.....

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

stereotyping like this cracks me up.... trust me when i say i don't care who accepts what i do... or even or who i am.... but i like you, don't like to have idiots get in the way of my life.... so if i decide that i want to take my boyfriend out on a date and am seen being sweet or holding hands by a fellow service member i don't want to fear the loss of my job, benefits, or become the target of bigotry in my workplace.

October 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AndromedanDescendant

About time we move a half a step into the 21st Century. Gays serve openly in other countries, so eventually we will adjust and get over ourselves. Now we just need to allow gay marriages.

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JOHN

Like i said before..........freedom equality and liberty in the US
    must come from the bench never ever the people.........."We the people...."

Anyone see the irony?

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The DADT knee pads

Just when we think we are gonna emerge from the dark ages, you all vote the republitards back in.......Will you ever learn..

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MACDONALDBANK

There is no scientific evidence to prove any of the cross related bogus elements of christianity. Civilization goes back 2,000,000 years - descending from apes; 1,996,000 years before the Greeks, Romans and the Jews and 1,998,000 years pre-dating the myth of christianity which is a mere 2010 years old. In the year 300 AD when Emperor Constantine, who to some was the first pope; went on to market Christianity – a fantasy – which turned out to be one of the most hateful & evil concoctions ever perpetrated on the world.

I am the son of a catholic father who never went to church and a protestant mother who took us to church and Sunday school. Onward christian soldiers; I think not. Such absolute drivel. To be manipulated by a santa claus; an easter bunny and worst of all a bogus cross. One should appreciate each day of life and not expect another and if there is it might be given by a God of Love.

October 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Sorry to hear that your life is so bleak! There is no hope for ppl like you. How depressing to know that today I may live and tomorrow I may be obliterated with no hope. guess you now know why the human state is so depraved.

October 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

I don't think he was trying to paint a 'bleak' picture. He's just stating that you don't need religion in your life to be happy, which many religious people have trouble believing apparently.

October 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • BR

You can hear the eyes of fundies spinning in their sockets...and the gears of their narrow minds grinding to a halt. Facts are so annoying.

October 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lawyerap

RE: USMC Combat Veteran

"Yes there are several gays in the military. But I don't want to know about them. I don't want to hear/see their abnormal behavior. You people have never served with a platoon of 40 men sleeping in a 20×20 room in 120 degree weather. When you do, you'll understand. But stay away from the military's decisions."

What exactly is there to understand?!? WAIT... are you telling me that a big, bad, macho Marine like you is SCARED of the possibility that a fellow soldier might slyly look at you in your underwear and think you have a nice body?? OH MY GOD... the horror! How can a fellow man think you're handsome! That's way worse than combat, right?! Cuz if you're worried that said soldier might make a pass at you knowing you're straight, well then I'm pretty sure you have anything to worry about.

October 12, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shwat did you say?

He's giving himself way too much credit. :-)

October 12, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MACDONALDBANK

Einstein stated in a letter recently auctioned that the bible was a collection of primitive legends. He said believing in God was childish and he as a Jew is no different than another person and are not chosen by God.

October 12, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark Matis

Maybe the military ought to do the same thing with this order that the Administration is doing with the THREE court orders against the Obamatorium. Oh, wait, that only works if you're a Preferred Species, doesn't it? Civil war is coming. And soon.

October 12, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. brooksjk

How ironic that a suit brought against the military by the gay wing of the Republican Party, the Log Cabin Republicans, to stop Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, may be another nail in the Democrats chances of maintaining control of Congress by providing another issue for Republicans who oppose gays in the military to use against Democrats who support allowing gays to openly serve.

Check out my blog for proof that Satan has thrown in the towel and how Glee is ruining America!

October 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |