October 13th, 2010

4.3 quake jolts Oklahoma

A magnitude 4.3 earthquake struck central Oklahoma on Wednesday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, but officials said no significant damage or injuries had been reported.

"At first I thought it could be an explosion," said Capt. Tom Easley, of the Norman, Oklahoma, police. "You think of the worst possible scenario."

Posters on the website of CNN affiliate KOCO in Oklahoma City reported feeling the temblor in numerous locations.
"Our office building shook for nearly 30 seconds," one poster wrote. "I heard it and felt it. I watched the drink on my desk shake and the liquid slosh around in my cup."

Another said the wall of his home had minor damage.

The USGS initially classified the quake as a magnitude 4.5 but later downgraded it to 4.3. It struck at 9:06 a.m. (10:06 a.m. ET) and was centered five miles east of Norman and 20 miles south-southeast of Oklahoma City, USGS said. The quake was relatively shallow, at 3.1 miles deep.

Post by:
Filed under: Oklahoma • U.S.
  1. LmD

@ angela and colleen, bet you'd feel it shaking as stick it in your ass too huh! Bet you get wet just thinking about it, oh, I mean the earthquake. NOT!! Losers, sell yourselfs and then FUK0FF!

October 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. LmD

CNN, u aint got the guts to print reality so fukoff!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. LmD

CNN, u aint got the guts to print reality so fukoff!! Hey June, quit living in your fantasy bible bull world and finger yourself for a change. You'll feel a lot better! If not then FUKOFF!

October 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. JGB191

Any survivors from that massive earthquake? Hoping for a quick recovery in Oklahoma and things will be back to normal soon for those people.

October 14, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. TerryC

I felt the quake on the second floor where we live in south central Kansas. It was like the buzz of a cell phone vibrating at first and then more like a tremor when I touched furniture. It reminded me of my husband's preParkinsons trembling when held his hand. I am,concerned that there has been?another reported today....Friday. Quakes come in pre and after shocks, I believe. The New Madrid faultline is in the 4 state area.

October 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. mask2697

Whats with all the major earthquakes today!?!?!?!?!?

October 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Charlie

To the fire chief in Norman who had never felt an earthquake therre, he must have been born after April 1952. I was in History class when the whole building played "crack the whip" and the row of chairs I was sitting in moved 5 or 6 inches. A granite top lab table in the Geology building moved even more.

October 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply