October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

After condemnations from around the world, Jones called off the burning.

A representative from Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center, called Benson Hyundai recently to see whether the offer was still good, Canton said.

It was. Jones is getting a 2011 Hyundai Accent, valued at around $13,600.

"He stood up to his end of the bargain and we’re standing up to ours,” Canton said.

A woman who answered the phone Saturday at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, said Jones would donate the car to a Muslim charity.

Post by:
Filed under: New Jersey • Religion
  1. shahid yaquob janjooa

TO COMPARE, TWO RELIGIONS CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM, THE GOOD-LOOKING IN CHRISTIANITY WHICH IS GOING TO BE MORE & MORE POPULAR THAT MAJORITY OF SONS & DAUGHTERS DON’T KNOW WHO IS THEIR REAL FATHER . ONLY DNA IS THE PROCESS TO FIND THEIR REAL FATHER. EVEN, WHEN THEY ARE HEAD OF THE STATE.

October 16, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JackoB

I don't burn the Koran! Ever! I want a car.

October 16, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. religions are a pile of dung

Jones must have had a dream in which 'his' god told him to be nice or else he [Jones] would start what is coined as Armageddon!

It doesn't take much to tame most religious sheep! 😦

October 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • slinky

And here I've been told that fear makes religion dangerous...

October 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. whitekong78

If I were in a muslim country and saw some of the stuff on TV here in America I'd probably hate us too. They think we're all drunks, drug addicts, cheaters, lazy, fat corrupt, murderers, materialistic and therefore evil. Then they see our military setting up shop in many of their countries so their paranoia kicks in. I know muslims have their own problems to say the least, but that's how I see it. To them we're evil to us many of them are evil.

October 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mike d

kkk terrorists say they are christians . also so called christians have bombed abortion clinics and killed doctors. killers come in all types. and dont forget the atomic bomb and who dropped those... look at history and realize we need to rethink and cooperate. GET OFF THE OIL .......it's the only future. 🙂

October 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. whitekong78

I try to be patient and understanding of all cultures. Where's my car?

October 16, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dubock

dubock

if i'd known this is the way to get a free car i wouldnt have bought mines...

October 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jerry

Wow, i must say im surprised.

October 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. givemeabreak

Geee...I thinking about announcing a Quran burning so maybe some disenlightened banker will pay of my mortage on the farm in my small town...bet I could get some of my neighbors to participate since they are all rednecks!

October 16, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CC

GREAT JOB THERE!! What a way to set an example! The next thing you know some other idiot, in order to get something he/she, wants its going to do the same thing that stupid pastor did. WOW! I need my house paid off...anyone has has a copy of the Quran I can borrow for a bit???

October 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Veganman

Just what we need.....reward this nutcase with a car...

Makes me PROUD to be Atheist.
    All followers of organized religion have something wrong with them. If I started worshiping....say The Tooth Fairy, people would think I'm insane. Even though she's just as invisible and fabricated as this "god" everyone loves so much.

How's that praying working out for everybody? LOL!

Faith = Ignorance

October 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Frank

The pastor deserves more than a car. He is a true American icon. Every American should make a donation to his church.

October 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • fbysea

Frank, can you see Russia from your trailer?

October 16, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Matt in Oregon

Rewarding someone for not doing something that they shouldnt have done in the first place is just ludicrous. Hey, I have never murdered anyone... can I get a house?

October 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeana

The guy should have been assassinated for making such a fuss. The fact that he's donating the car to a Muslim Charity shows me he's received some threats he feels he needs to make amends for. What an idiot to begin with!! All o this stupid attention for an imbecile with a congregation that's now shrunk to less than 30 members. His 15 minute "Fail" is over...let's bury these stories and not give him another ounce of attention!

October 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • givemeabreak

Let's start a international movement...forget REV. TERRY JONES...PLEASE!!!

October 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. johnnyhouse

It is a shame we could not have gotten such a good deal from the Muslims who flew those planes into various places around our country killing nearly 3000 souls.

October 16, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |