October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

After condemnations from around the world, Jones called off the burning.

A representative from Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center, called Benson Hyundai recently to see whether the offer was still good, Canton said.

It was. Jones is getting a 2011 Hyundai Accent, valued at around $13,600.

"He stood up to his end of the bargain and we’re standing up to ours,” Canton said.

A woman who answered the phone Saturday at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, said Jones would donate the car to a Muslim charity.

Post by:
Filed under: New Jersey • Religion
  1. TBeef

Only a terrorist or a criminal would threaten society with obscene acts and then relent in return for monetary or material compensation.

October 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • TBeef

Regardless, I like his mustache. 😀

October 16, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

Yeah, he's either the reincarnation of Fu Manchu or David Crosby's doppelganger.

October 16, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. spamster

I'm going to burn a copy of my Bhagavad-Gita.
    Can I have a Mini-Cooper if I don't?
    Anyone?
    Anyone?

October 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. South Texas Viet. Vet

Right or wrong, it shows the depth of the pastors beliefs – about hundai deep.

October 16, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. johnnyhouse

People have been dying from religion related causes since someone figured if you could talk 10 people into forking over 10 percent of their goods one man would not have to work.It will be interesting on judgement day when all the religions come,some with severed heads in their hand demanding their just reward, and others explaining why they also had to kill and maim for the church. People killed in religious wars and crusades far out number all other causes when you also figure all the disease that has been carried to innocent people in history.

October 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bosso

Wondering we forgotten how have been Christians been killed in Muslim countries just because they were found with Bibles in their processions..? Muslims ought to be tolerant of Christians visiting Muslim extremist countries as well.

October 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. zounds

I got free movie tickets once for not creating more spray
    paint graffiti on the side of the local movie theater.

October 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bull

Rev.Jones is a complete putz. Why not donate it to somebody from his "center" that really needs it.This guy is a pansy.

October 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • BadRequest

I know right?! I'm not going to burn my copy of the Quran, where's MY car?!

October 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Man

I think receiving a hyundai is enough punishment for anyone.

October 16, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • hotheaded

lol@mr. man. good one.

October 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

I hope he's got enough brains to check his new car for a bomb!!!! I'm surprised that they haven't taken a shot at this idiot yet!!

October 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satan

Hey, I never tried to burn any Quran or create this fancy idiotic media frenzy. Should I get deserve brand new 77 cars?

October 16, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOAO COSTA

I wanna win new car too, I never put my hands on the Quran......

October 16, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Hey, I need a car! Who's that dealership? I have three Qurans I am willing not to burn.

October 16, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janice

That's a fine example of Christianity right there. What a guy. Or should I say, what a hypocrite?

October 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • SLP

I agree that this guy is an idiot for even entertaining the idea of burning the koran. However, I wonder how many of you would have gotten this bent out of shape if it was the Bible he was planning on burning?

October 16, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ryan

former giant brad benson does controversial marketing tactics all the time to generate interest in his car dealership. he is a marketing genius, and i'm sure this will help him sell more cars.

October 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WorldGoneMad

You guys need to remember that he contacted the dealer and asked if the offer was still good for the free car, the donation thing didn't come around until he got so much heat for cashing in. sadly this moron enforces the world view of us as bunch of idiots with tonnes of resources.

October 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • achmed,

Hey Putz! He got a free car. So, if he is an idiot, how many free cars have you managed to scam Einstein?

October 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • kip

@achme.....ohh i see the ability to successfully scam someone is your test of intellience as you encourage others to follow ......this kind of mindset is a reason our society is gaining momentum to launch itself off of the proverbial cliff....

maybe it was a conscious decision not to scam anyone...ever think of that?

October 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Spockanator

Wow, I need a new car, and I could buy a Quran... Wonder if I could get a FREE car too? Or a BIG discount on a NEW CAR? This could be a Trend Setter... heeeeeeeeee

October 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Instead of cash for clunkers. It's Quran's for cars. Nice.

October 16, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JD

Does anyone see the other side of this? Doesn't he have the freedom to burn the Quran if he wants to burn it? Doesn’t an American Citizen have the freedom to burn the American Flag in protest if they want to? What bothers me is how Muslims want to kill someone whenever someone does something against their religion. If someone burns the bible how many Christians would want them killed? Look at how cartoons of Mohammad spark such violence. If your beliefs are strong then it should not matter what others do. God or Allah does not need any help in exacting revenge. They are quite capable of handling that themselves. I am not agreeing with what Jones was planning to do, but the reaction to it was equally wrong. With that being said I’m going to go burn a bible, a Quran, the American Flag, an effigy of Mohammad, and anything else that would cause someone to want to kill me and dare them to show up to do it. If anyone wants the address let me know.

October 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnnyhouse

Freedom to do things are subject to judgment of our peers. We are guaranteed the freedom of speech but we can't shout fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire. Also a white man can not insult a person of another race,either in comedy or any other gathering but a black comedian can say anything he wants about his race anyone else in a mixed audience and get cheers and laughs.It is a strange world we live in and one we have to walk carefully to keep the peace.Eventually in time these things will work themselves out as the world gets more populated and more mixed.

October 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • HR

@JD First, most of the arguments against Jones burning the Quran were not "he doesn't have the freedom to" but "he shouldn't." Very few people said that legally he couldn't do it. The protest around it was that it was offensive to many people (me included, someone who is not Muslim and not Christian). Much of the arguments were that it was offensive, but that it wasn't illegal. Even at the highest levels (the White House, various Senators, etc), that was the argument. You're confusing these things, and it shows you truly do not understand this issue.

Second, the vast majority of Muslims do not condone violence or hate, and would not think "Well, that one guy in Florida burned a Quran–I guess this means I should kill some people!" Certainly there are some who would use it as an excuse to commit more acts of violence (largely in other countries), but they would likely find an excuse regardless of Jones or people like him.

Third, burning or defacing something merely to show that you "can," or that you have the freedom to do it, is silly. It's on par with the mentality of a 12-year old boy. Regardless of what people think of Jones, he had a message he wanted to deliver. I hate that message and think it's wrong–illogical, problematic, hateful–but at least he had a message beyond "I'm gonna prove I can do this!" Come on. Think it through. You can do better than that.

October 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Meoff

JD say goodbye to your head. The reason the Pastor canceled was due to death threats.

October 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Rev. Jones has the right to burn as many Korans as he wishes, just as others have the right to disapprove. Both are protected speech. His planned actions weren't illegal–just in bad taste. It's getting old that anytime someone disagrees with the right there are cries that their freedom of speech has been infringed, as though the dissenters weren't allowed to exercise their own first amendment rights as well.

October 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJG

I would love to have your address. Just to know where another idiot lives so I can avoid you at all costs. You might have the "freedom" to do it, but sense enough not to is another thing. BTW, would love to bring a few hundred thousand friends along if you don't mind. Just some old Army buddies and their ancestors who have died for your "freedom" just to watch you disgrace their honor.

October 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam Datum

I see that. And I think you're right to acknowledge it. I heard the pastor on a BBC interview. I felt the interviewer was condescending and was baiting Jones. To my surprise Jones gave very direct and seemingly honest responses. I thought he was very respectful and that he behaved far better than the interviewer.

October 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • John David

I read this story and wondered what would actually happen just one person, say a muslim imam, decided to burn a bunch of bible on say, jesus' birthday. I wonder how many death threats would come from christians. i'm will to put money down that he would actually be killed though. I've known both christians and muslims, and i have to say that christians are by far the craziest of the two. Religion is joke. All this fighting for no reason is such a waste of time and money. @MJG kinda funny that you would threaten someone for exercising there freedom. You don't have to like someones opinion but you should probably respect their right to have one.

October 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stevester

Yes, the pastor has the right to burn a Quran, but I dont think that is a sensible thing to do. In the same line, the muslims also have right to build a mosque blocks away from ground zero, but they shouldnt go ahead with that. It is just doesnt make any sense to stir up these unnecessary controversies and feed the extremists.

October 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ric

With freedom comes responsibility. You don't just do something because you can. An intelligent, responsible person weights the repercussions. And a mature , intelligent person doesn't do something because someone else does it. Just because people burn the flag or the bible, doesn't mean that its smart for us to burn their flag or their bible as retaliation. That's what kids do.

October 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

Yes, he has the right to burn it. But rights come with consequences. And, if he chose to burn it, he would have to suffer the consequences, no matter what that might have been.

October 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

@MJG- it's 1600 Pennsylvania ave., hey MJG we have a whole house filled with idiots!!!!

October 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

He has every right to burn the Quaran, just as the rest of us have the right to think he's a total waste of humanity. Nobody's debating his right to do it – it's just whether it was the right thing to do. There's a difference. We have the right to do a lot of things, but normal, rational, decent human beings don't go around trying to inflame hatred for the sake of getting media coverage. Most of us don't do it at all – we just try to get along with one another.

October 16, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • WorldGoneMad

JD... 1600 Pennsylvania ave. Is that your best? You are such a coward, don't talk trash next time. Calling you an idiot is not an insult, it is a description.

October 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. johnnyhouse

It is strange, how religion got mixed up in history and changing of the world, when it has no connection to the Creator of a perfect world that man insists on changing.

October 16, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom with Zeal

Wonderfully put....Thank You.

October 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chuck

What book should I not burn to get a new Mustang? I really want one am willing to rouse any rabble to get one!

October 16, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belle

"How to Become a Millionaire"? Just saying.

October 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nostradufus

Do I get a new car for each Quran? I really need more than one car. How about a truck? Do I need to burn 2 or more to get a truck? I really need a new truck. Do I need to burn more for a diesel? Is there any literature out there, like....The Automobile Dealer's Guide to Quran Burning...?

October 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sam

Jones should have stopped the Qoran burning merely because it was the right and proper thing to do, not because he stood to get a car out of the deal. Now everyone will be doubting the motives of this so-called minister of the Gospel, and with good reason. I can only hope that the dealership gives him the crappiest vehicle they have in their inventory without air conditioning...preferably a used POS with a blown engine.

October 16, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • blf83

Amen, and whatever the Muslim equivalent is!

October 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. carolinago

Everyone is allowed their rights and freedoms, but hate has no place in our world. Yes, there are Muslim extremists, but people seem to forget that there are Christian extremists too (this guy and people like the Westboro Baptist church are good examples). You want to say "well a bunch of Christians didn't go crash planes into some buildings in Dubai" and use that as an excuse to hate ALL Muslims, go ahead. Just remember that spreading more hate and fear will not solve anything, and it's not "getting back" at the people who orchestrated 9/11.

October 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ketrout

This is REWARDING Jones for a very stupid act. What is wrong with this picture? Why are people going around rewarding people for doing dumb and stupid acts?

It is like our government rewarding the 20 million plus trespassers (ILLEGAL ALIENS) with AMNESTY! JUST PLAIN STUPID!!

October 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tom

Car donated to Muslim charity, soon to be on front page news as car bomb that blew up in some US city!

October 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoTax

Good one

October 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ending123

You hit the nail on the head with this one!

October 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |