October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

After condemnations from around the world, Jones called off the burning.

A representative from Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center, called Benson Hyundai recently to see whether the offer was still good, Canton said.

It was. Jones is getting a 2011 Hyundai Accent, valued at around $13,600.

"He stood up to his end of the bargain and we’re standing up to ours,” Canton said.

A woman who answered the phone Saturday at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, said Jones would donate the car to a Muslim charity.

Post by:
Filed under: New Jersey • Religion
  1. tony

We West Coasters have our comments pushed back 3 hours into the past compared with East Coasters

October 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. suzy diamond

Can I get a car for my bad behavior? Is this how we reward people for their intolerance? THIS is setting a really BAD example in society!

October 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joy

That preacher is a real joke.

October 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Larry Bradenton, FL

Lets see. He gets a car for making threats about burning one book. What next...a house because he threatens to burn a Mosque!?

October 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John B

So now we are rewarding the stupid. Good. Real good. Are we going to give a car to Paris Hilton next?

October 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bill Kilpatrick

He threatened to do something horrible and for agreeing not to do it, he gets a car????? Isn't that the very definition of terrorism?

October 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Muhameed Ackabar

As a muslim, I believe this ia an act of Allah (The real and only god). He gave a car this this misinformed man because he has a chance of being saved,...he may one day convert into Islam. We also give everyone a chance to convert with violence. There is another side of our god, he may give you the car but give you a lemon that always breaks down. I dont think this car will last 100k miles. I am going to lvl with everybody becuase I think its important for Americans to know this. It's not that muslims hate America.....it's America supporting the Jewish community. I bet if the USA would give one state to the jews to take over, the americans would commit genocide again. W

October 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muhameed Ackabar

I would like to add that I don't want you guys to thik I am a bad guy,...becuase we are not......its just the jews ok.....I am sorry and I hope this doesnt offend anyone here....Sometimes I don;t know what to think anymore. If the jews would just stop attacking us everything would be ok.

October 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

This Jew just b^^ch slapped you for being a turd.

October 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • fairplay

@ Scott. Gooooooo Scott!

October 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • fairplay

@Muhameed Asskabar......I have never heard of a Jewish suicide bomber or a Jewish car bomb. Wonder why some people hate Muslims so much? I know, I know, not all are alike, but the bad ones have given you a really ugly name and I don't see you or other Muslims doing anything about it.

October 16, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • achmed,

I know you think you are being clever. But you have GOT to QUIT smoking that SHIZ! Too obvious and way too shallow.

October 16, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nonya

Great...just watch the news stories flow in about people threatning to do disgusting acts so they can be rewarded for not following through. This country just gets better and better

October 16, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scott

I still burned my Quran, it had a rather nice color picture of Mohammed glued to the front cover and burned rather well. A bit stinky which I assumed was the devil words burning.

October 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. capnmike

Hey, if I promise to stop using the "quran" for toilet paper, will they give me a new car too? I need it just as much as this christo-fascist.

October 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pastor Evans

Many in the world hate and are intolerant to those who believe in Jesus Christ but are tolerant and even understaning towards all these other false gods and belief systems. They hated Jesus and they hate us because He's in us!!! Rejoice believers because this is what we should expect and never back down the ignorance of the world!!!

October 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • kirk

outstanding remark

October 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jondoe888

I got a Bible and a match and a big mouth. That should be worth more than a Hyundai. Not much, but maybe a new Subaru?

October 16, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CornOnTheCob

Any relation to the late Rev. Jim Jones of Jonestown? Idiot.

October 16, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

I hope someone burns his new car....

October 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kirk

there is one lord, one god, one way
    and that is christ jesus
    to worship anything else is to worship demons
    do what you wish with your own life
    and ill do mine
    you see i dont care what muslims think
    as a song says this house is protected by the good lord and a gun
    and you might meet em both if you come around here unwelcome son
    i am not afraid because somethings ARE worth dying for
    something like the quran
    would never be allowed in my house
    as for that so called pastor
    You cannot serve God and mammon

October 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • truth2power

Prove that!
      That is your faith and your OPINION, both of which you cannot prove.
      I respect you right to believe what ever you choose but please, don't go telling others they will rot in some hell simply because they do not belong to your religion.

October 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |