October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

After condemnations from around the world, Jones called off the burning.

A representative from Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center, called Benson Hyundai recently to see whether the offer was still good, Canton said.

It was. Jones is getting a 2011 Hyundai Accent, valued at around $13,600.

"He stood up to his end of the bargain and we’re standing up to ours,” Canton said.

A woman who answered the phone Saturday at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, said Jones would donate the car to a Muslim charity.

Post by:
Filed under: New Jersey • Religion
  1. Jeff C

Dude, you have no Qu'ran.

October 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe G.

Well, I hope the car isn't blown up in the middle of a busy market by the Muslims getting the car.

October 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fairplay

Donate it to a Muslim charity? Has this pastor totally lost his mind? First he hates them, now he is helping them. He is a total fool. Bet he will park it in his garage.

October 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tara

Pfft!! I don't burn the Quran everyday! I mean really, I could see new bibles or pews but...a car(even if it is a Hyundai). LOL why didnt I take up book burning long ago?!?!

October 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chas

Great! Now we reward nut job fanatics!

October 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. denise trudeau

My nice bmw 535i was stolen, I got a clunker as replacement, and crazy pastors with congregations that listen to them for some unfathomable reason get new cars to keep them from doing something that would be rewarded in fascist Europe but that has no place in a democratic country. He should have been chastised for spouting such fascist actions, not appeased. I bet the Muslim countries loved that one, America the melting pot, the safe haven for all people of all races and creeds is burning books. What's the next threat going to be? burning people at the stake?

October 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gerry Daley

A swift kick in his skinny butt would have been a more appropriate "gift" to this total loser. Kicking his head wouldn't have damaged a thing.

October 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. VA

I dont get this. isnt the Quran and Bible are both word of GOD?? arent they the holy books came from UP there?. I dont see why some of these idiots want to disrespect any other religion. God and Allah is both the same. some calls it God and some calls it Allah.

October 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. denise trudeau

I also like Mr. Man's comment above "I think receiving a hyundai is enough punishment for anyone"–it's funny. I hope the pastor takes all the criticism seriously and never says anything so stupid again.

October 16, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lynn

Why is this guy being rewarded for not burning something equivalent to the Bible. He should not be rewarded at all, they should have let him burn the Quran so some of those muslims could come and put their foot up his butt. He should have enough dignity about himself to not even accept the car. I hope someone comes and offer me a house or car for not doing something that is morally wrong. I hope no children read this so they will not think they will be rewarded for not doing something bad. He should be ashamed of himself for accepting it. Who ever gave him the car would be much better suited to give a free car to every American family that has lost a loved one in the war. This guy is a jerk.

October 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Unknown

I chose not burn the Quran, so I should get a new car

October 16, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Maddy

What is he getting next time he pulls a stunt like this....his own Leer jet?
    He is really stands by his convictions. He sold his soul for a car!

October 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tessa

an honorable man would not accept payola

October 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mike

They should run him over with it first

October 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gasman

Terry Jones profits from threatening to burn the Quran? Isn't that called extortion?

October 16, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |