October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

After condemnations from around the world, Jones called off the burning.

A representative from Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center, called Benson Hyundai recently to see whether the offer was still good, Canton said.

It was. Jones is getting a 2011 Hyundai Accent, valued at around $13,600.

"He stood up to his end of the bargain and we’re standing up to ours,” Canton said.

A woman who answered the phone Saturday at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, said Jones would donate the car to a Muslim charity.

Post by:
Filed under: New Jersey • Religion
  1. JD

If Jones had burned the Qurans his rewards would have been far greater.

October 16, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • ManOfTheMoon

Yup...he could have had a low-rider to dodge terrorist bullets at his head.

October 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Enoch

Yeah, the obvious lesson in this is that if you act like a d-bag and threaten to do d-baggy stuff and then don't, you should get a reward.
    Where are the rewards for people who aren't d-bags?

October 16, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • ManOfTheMoon

There is an area in heaven labeled "suckers."

October 16, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TheBossIsOut

He was given a choice. Wait until he dies and get 140 virgins in heaven (twice the going rate), or take a car during this lifetime. He couldn't get a guarantee that they would really be virgins, so he went with the car.

October 16, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Enoch

Nice. Kind of like a metaphysical "Let's Make A Deal".

October 16, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. okay

W.t.f...cnn is censoing me now...glad i fought for this country for 15 years to have my freedom of speech taken away...FU(K YOU CNN

October 16, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Enoch

You apparently fought for something that you didn't quite understand. Freedom of Speech does not pertain to privately owned bulletin boards. It pertains to the government not infringing on your right to speak.

October 16, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Right on, and thank you for your service.

October 17, 2010 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. captain dangerous

lol enoch you make me laugh

October 16, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • ManOfTheMoon

Yup and after all sinks in, you cry.

October 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Enoch

All Religions are automatically divisive – you either are or you aren't a believer in whatever nonsense they are spewing. Religion as a concept is outmoded. You no longer believe gremlins live in your stomach and cause pain, do you? they used to. But as our thinking and exploration evolved, somehow, religious nuts got left behind. (Note: Anyone religious is a nut.)

October 16, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

No, the gremlins now live in my computer and I have to pay for an exorcist to come in and remove them.

October 16, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Enoch

That is because you likely fell for the second greatest con against man (after religion, of course). You bought Windows. Bill Gates should be giving that money back to those he duped.

October 16, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. captain dangerous

i think enoch wants to start a genocide

October 16, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Enoch

Naw, I am not religious. How could I want genocide?

I can wait everyone out though.

October 16, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. ray gibbs

Heroes true blue: Mr. Canton & everyone at Benson Hyundai dealership. Americans taking care of America.

October 16, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nick

I'm going to send a blast email out saying that I will burn all religous texts. Then I say I won't.

LAMBORGHINI HERE I COME

October 16, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. ET

I want a Ferrari or else I will burn the quran and the bible.

October 16, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. captain dangerous

you call religous people crazy but you say and i quote "I accept that Muslims as terrorists and must be dealt with" I heard a homeless guy saying the same thing on the bus station. You sure your not crazy as well?

October 16, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Enoch

There are those who call it a punchline.

October 16, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Enoch

And, yes, if you believe in a religion in this day and age, you are nuts. I can see needing it to explain things that weren't explainable, but to maintain it this long just indicates that we have weak minds among us.

October 16, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. okay

Lets m0l3st children,if you dont ti+he your going to h3ll,if you blow ppl up yo get 72 v!rg!ns.the zombie-son will return and all you s!nn3rs will go to h3ll,the sky-genie doesn't judge but we as mortals do,w0rsh!p me and come back as a t!ck on someones @ss,i'll read you this book so give me free stuff...should i continue ? H0LY ? I think not ! Hipocritical ? For sur ! Organized religion is a joke !
    Had to get creative with my typing..And once again...FU(K YOU CNN ! Not so smart now are you FU(KERS !

October 16, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hoofleau

I would like a Corvette. I promise not to burn the Quran ever. A 2010 convertible, black w/ black interior would do nicely.

October 16, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. queuebert

You all DID read to the bottom of the article where it said that he was going to donate the car to a Muslim charity, yes? Based on some of the responses, I can't believe that you did.

I was thinking, "man, what a crock that he thinks he DESERVES the car, going so far as to call up and ask for it." But when I saw the very last part, it kind of makes it a touching story.

October 16, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |