October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

After condemnations from around the world, Jones called off the burning.

A representative from Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center, called Benson Hyundai recently to see whether the offer was still good, Canton said.

It was. Jones is getting a 2011 Hyundai Accent, valued at around $13,600.

"He stood up to his end of the bargain and we’re standing up to ours,” Canton said.

A woman who answered the phone Saturday at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, said Jones would donate the car to a Muslim charity.

Post by:
Filed under: New Jersey • Religion
  1. sam

hey guys, i'm not going to burn a quran. can i have a car too?

October 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • todd

You get a Porsche if you don't stampede cattle through the Vatican.

October 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • SawyersGlasses

@Todd LMAO!!!

October 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cam

I love using Koran pages for my barbicue, it makes a great fire for roasting pork chops... I think I need at least a BMW for using the pages to roast pork... instead of setting the whole cover on fire. The smoke adds some kind of flavor on the meat it kind of smells nd tastes like marinated weeds...

October 16, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MostlyAmused

How's about posting your address so EVERYONE can come look at a certifiable idiot?

October 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • kanon

A trailer in the woods probably doesn't have an address.

October 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rafael

Sounds like a recipe for a cancerous death. Enjoy.

October 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David S

WIll someone pay off my credit cards if I don't burn a Bible?

October 16, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • todd

I'll pay your credit cards if you DO!!

October 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steve

Keep the car. Lets burn any book that we disagree with.

October 16, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rd

So he got rewarded for not doing something stupid? I'm jealous.

October 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobbyhill

ill give him a new computer if he shaves off that mustache...

October 16, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. steve

I don't understand how you reward someone for not doing something so stupid. What a world we live in.

October 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steph

Finally, someone who understands the real problem here. Thanks Steve.

October 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Clint04

Not a Cadillac?

October 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Timehascome

He is donating the car to muslims? Why? Thought he was being socked with security bills from Koran incident. Let Saudia Arabia donate to muslims, as they have plenty $$ and are busy building mosques and supporting jihad here. Thank goodness Geert Wilders is winning his court case for standing against Islam in Netherlands – it's only the beginning!

October 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. brad

I guess I would have been more apt to give him a spitting camel than a car for his biggotted and divisive actions

October 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lance corporal

yup the only reason christian ministers do anything = MONEY!!!!!! (cars etc)

October 16, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. acts431

There is a tremendous amount of "watered down" Christianity going on all over this country. Some of it has to do with "easy believism" - you can do anything you want to, believe anything you want to, but don't worry...you'll still make it to heaven. The fundamental belief of Christianity is that Jesus Christ is the only way you and I will get to heaven (John 14:6). As such, the truth is that Muslims will not get there. That is the truth. However, that being said, the whole idea is for Christians to NOT want to see anybody go to hell and to try to help them get into heaven. This pastor and his Quran-burning antics will certainly not make any Muslims say, "Gee, let me look into this 'Jesus loves me' thing." It would be a good thing for all of us to remember that Jesus didn't die for us because we had it all together and would make a great asset to his cause. He died for ALL people. That's the message that we need to be spreading!

By the way, it is greatly reassuring that the pastor decided against burning the Quran - not because his conscience bothereed him or anything like that - but because he was getting a new car! It is comforting to know he is a man of conviction!!!

October 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • todd

SO, you are saying that blacks should be slaves, women should be killed if they aren't virgins at marriage, people should be killed for not obeying the sabbath, or wearing their hair too long, or eating shrimp, or wearing cotton blends?

It's all in the bible, idiot.

October 16, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MostlyAmused

Acts, I guess that shows how much you know about Islam.

Jesus is considered a major prophet in Islam, but not a deity because they are MONOTHEIST (ONE god–period!), as are Jews. They believe in the same God of Abraham that Jews and Christians worship. Yehwah, Allah, God, Flying Spaghetti Monster–no matter which of the 9 billion names you chose to call the ultimate deity, it is still the same idea.

October 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

"This pastor and his Quran-burning antics will certainly not make any Muslims say, "Gee, let me look into this 'Jesus loves me' thing."

According to your tenets, if neither "invited Christ Jesus into their hearts as their personal savior", a pretty good bet, then both Anne Frank and Adolf Hitler are equally suffering eternal torment in Hell as we post.

Yep, there's a doctrine that make logical sense and will attract millions of intelligent young people.

October 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abudu Mukarram

Hey Acts, why don't just become a Dracular and try biting Muslims to convert them? You are a clown. Not one prophet of the Bible or of any other religion was a Christian and therefore, did not accept its teachings. So I guess everyone from Ibrahim (as) to Muhammad (saws) according to you went or is going to hell. That includes Jesus (as) because he wasn't a Christian either. We non-believers of your crap will be in good company.

October 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. todd

I didn't burn any Qurans either.

Do I get a car?

October 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Corvette Lover

How many holy books do I need to threaten to burn before someone offers me a new Corvette ZR1?!

October 16, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

I didn't burn TRILLIONS of Qurans, I ALWAYS didn't burn the Quran (apologies to Joseph Heller).

Just ship me BMW's November output.

October 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

I didn't burn a Danielle Steele novel, either.

Can I at least get an '87 Yugo?

October 16, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • PiedType

Excellent taste. A Vette would be my choice, too.

October 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Arleen

Now, if the pastor is a true Christian, he'll donate the car to an organization that supports religious tolerance and acceptance.

October 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |