October 18th, 2010

Two fatally shot at Tennessee post office, police say

[Updated at 12:02 p.m.] A Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office dispatcher tells CNN that two women, both postal workers, were killed in the Henning shooting.

[Updated at 11:30 a.m.] Two people were killed Monday at the post office in Henning, Tennessee, the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office said.

Local and state police are on the scene with the FBI.

The sheriff's office would not confirm there was a shooting, but CNN affiliate WMC-TV in Memphis reported two female victims were killed in a shooting that was reported to police about 9 a.m.

Henning is located about 50 miles northeast of Memphis.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Tennessee
  1. txspike

Guns are like nuclear weapons...The genie is out of the bottle and you will never be able to put them back again!!

October 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nicole

one of those women was my grandmother. I think before you write something you should maybe consider that the families actually see these things....how about the next time you think before you say something stupid...

October 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • crodgers

so sorry for your loss. I just logged on to see what was happening since I work for the post office and I am extremely saddened by the comments and rudeness of some of the people on this sight. If it was them or someone in their family they would think twice about their rude comments.

October 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • nicole

That's what makes this so bad right now....all this lousy speculation from a whole bunch of know nothings...even our family doesn't know what's going on. And the ridiculous comments from ignorant people who just wanna be in something to talk about it definitely is not helping. Everybody want to talk about it but no one wants to be proactive and change things. Just people shut your mouths and leave your ignorance at home where it belongs...

October 18, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • soliptic

nicole, should have no expectation for having a personal support group on a nation news anonymous internet board. We can't really see, hear, or trust you or anyone else else, so all we have is speculation. If you want emotional support or more information (and if you are indeed telling the truth), I suggest you talk to family members, friends, and the police department and emergency crews.

October 18, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • AnneSD

I am sorry for your loss Nicole. Please know that there are many of us out here shocked and saddened by this.

I would strongly advise you avoid the comments for stories relating to this because, sadly, they are dominated by bullies and people that like to use them to make nasty comments about others while hiding behind the mask of anonymity. Many appear to be paranoid, unhappy and angry so they spread their misery with nastiness rather than trying to uplift themselves with positive thoughts.

October 18, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. light up

Why those morons are not called terrorists?!!

October 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. whynotwrite

Just another day in the USA. Postal killings, work place killings, shopping mall killings, gang banger drive by killings, killing a family member for insurance money.... the list goes on and on. And people think it is dangerous in Mexico, Ha! Much more dangerous in the US because everyone is gunning for someone.

October 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • soliptic

I guess if you listen to the major news networks all day, you WOULD think stepping out your front door is fatally dangerous. Yet–it's really not.

October 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CNNObserver

I am surprised: nobody has blamed the Muslims for this shooting, yet?

October 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bk

It's early yet. Beck isn't on until 5:00 and O'Reilly at 8:00pm. Give the story time and the Muslims will be blamed!

October 18, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JANIS

CANADA WE CARRY LESS GUNS. U.S.A NEEDS GUN CONTROL BADLY.

October 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • DavidC

Guns do not kill people. People kill people. Control is not the issue. People are the issue.

October 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • SwordofPerseus

DavidC is right people, have you all lost the ability to think and be reasonable? Never mind I know the answer.

October 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

sorry, I have friends in Canada and they say the worst thing that happened is when they banned guns. They say they lost their FREEDOM.

October 18, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lefty shmefty

CNNObserver – you are a complete retard

October 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. daytonbh

What we need to do is enforce the laws we have. Taking guns away from law abiding citizens is absurd. You don't see very many citizens walking into the police stations doing this. Why do think that is? The police shoot back!

October 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shipUPS

This is the price postal employees must pay for the 3 dozen stamp increases in the last 10 years!

October 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • crodgers

hahaha yeah ship ups and pay triple the amount. that is why when people say their going to ups I gladly let them leave because they ALWAYS come back and say you guys are cheaper. Where else can you ship a letter across the USA for 44cents. You can't even start your car for that. You people are IDIOTS!

October 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • sadsista

are you freakin kidding me? wth is wrong with you peole!

October 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • No Moe Guns

crodgers, what is wrong with you? Are you going to apologize to nicole again. is this really that funny to you? You guys are not comedians, I know facebook, youtube and twitter has given you the delusion you are but you are not.

October 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

Dear ShipUPS...

With your mentality I'm surprised you're even employed! It's really a shame that UPS can't get this post and ask CNN for your email address so you can be fired for making a comment indicating that someone deserved to die. I don't think they would want someone like you working in their organization! You are a sick individual, perhaps you should consider treatment…..oh wait that's right, there is no cure for STUPIDITY!!! With any luck….BROWN will dump you!

October 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Postal Bob

Post office workers are fat, lazy and rude. I'm surprised there aren't more shootings.

October 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rocksoft

I vehemently disagree. Postal office workers are not lazy or rude...

October 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Sadly I have to agree that they are pretty rude. Not the letter carriers, but certainly the counter staff. It is always a terrible customer experience and can be quite frustrating. I don't want to pretend to know what it's like to work there, but from a customer perspective it's a miserable place to go. They are very dismissive and treat everyone like idiots. Even though most people are idiots, they are still customers.

October 18, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • AnneSD

I have never met a postal worker that was any of those things. If you are experiencing rudeness, maybe you are getting back treatment based on your own behavior. If your rude and insensitive comment here is any indication, you are probably being treated exactly as you deserve.

October 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Sorry Anne. I know it's a sensitive subject. Where you live, everyone may be very friendly. But here in the Texas suburbs it's miserable to go into a post office. The lines are long and the worker's patience is short. I keep my mouth shut and just try to get out of there, so don't try to say it's me. You can watch every customer service interaction while waiting in line. It's a terrible environment at my local post office.

October 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Postal Bob

Yes Anne, I go up to the fat black women at the counter and act like it's an inconvenience for me to do my job just like they do. You're so enlightened. Maybe you're an idiot because I say so.

October 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Postal Marley

you maybe right, they are fat, rude and lazy but you're totally insane for wishing more shootings. Wish it to happen in your miserable house.

October 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Postal Marley

And you better stop name calling other people just because they didn't have the same miserable experience as yours.

October 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JonDie

Two more victories for...I mean...victims of the 2nd Amendment. Kill, baby, kill!

October 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • packing heat stop wars fast

guns don't kill people. People KILL people...with guns.

If these poor workers were allowed to pack heat, they'd still be here. The safest professions are those where you're allowed to be strapped...police officer...soldier...

I mean if an armed robber is pointing a gun at me and is about to rob me...I pull out my gun, because hey...I know I can take my gun off safety, chamber a round and squeeze the trigger before this armed person can fire his gun. That's what makes having a gun for self defense sooooo great. It's not like using a gun for self defense only works if you have the jump on your assailant or if they are unarmed.

October 18, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Guns + people = killings

Yes guns are used to protect & for sport....but do people get mad/angry/crazy?
    YES! They do! So why put a gun into people's hands that have the protental to get upset/mad/angry/crazy.

tell me you haven't gotta mad one time & wanted to(or daydreamed) of shooting somone.

October 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • guns + self control = responsibility

yes, I did and I have a gun but I aint shoot anybody (yet).

October 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bill

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" What a genious. Then maybe people should not have guns to begin with. I think half the people in the US are violent and the other half are stupid. We keep voting to keep the guns by voting for the right wing conservatives.

October 18, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mickeyb

Condolences to the families of the victims. I pray they receive justice.

October 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. paul

This Country lost GOD our healer and protector, don't be surprised of such lawless acts

October 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • SwordofPerseus

Please think the invisible fairy in the sky will help you, he/she never has, never will. Gawd get over it already, religion is half the problem, all these idiots believing in fairy tales instead of science and mathematics. Education is the answer not more Faith. 2000+ years of faith and mankind is still in the gutter, the world is overcrowded and polluted. Too many people is the real problem and until we have the balls to address this underlying problem things will only get worse.

October 18, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • hammerofthor

nobody would stop you from being an atheist but you must learn to respect somone's belief.

October 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |