October 19th, 2010

Jet Blue flight attendant, D.A. reach plea agreement

Steven Slater, the former JetBlue flight attendant who allegedly cursed over a plane's public address system, then deployed and used an emergency evacuation chute at  New York's JFK airport in August, will plead guilty to two counts of attempted criminal mischief under terms of a plea agreement.

As part of the agreement Slater has pleaded guilty to a felony charge of attempted criminal mischief in the 2nd degree. He also pleaded guilty to a charge of attempted criminal mischief in the 4th degree.

Slater must enter a mental health program, take assigned medications and not get arrested during the year he will be in the program. If he were to violate terms of the agreement, Slater could face 1 to 3 years in jail.

If Slater successfully completes the program, lasting one year, he could ask to vacate the guilty plea and would receive one year on probation and pay restitution of $10,000 dollars.  JetBlue suspended Slater immediately after the incident and he resigned from the airline last month.

"I want to thank everyone for their support. And kindness that got me through to this day. The public interest in this was surprising, unexpected, and encouraging," Slater said outside court after the hearing."At the end of the day I am grown adult and must accept responsibility for my actions therefore I am looking forward to moving forward with my life and I'm very grateful to the court for making these arrangements which allow me to do so."

1. Kathryn

I love this guy. He's incredibly bada**.

October 19, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Susan F

I'm glad mental treatment was part of the deal. He needs that way more than jail. I hope he spends his year wisely and gets the help he needs. He's not a bad***...he's a guy who was screaming for help but did it in a very unsafe way...as many of us do.

October 19, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Geri

He is my hero. Maybe the public will stop treating Flight Attendants like their personal maids and bell boys. Airline employees are people respect goes a long way. or get use to row 33 E

October 19, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacqueline

Hi Geri, I'm Jacqueline, you must be an Airline worker, I was a flight Attendant for 12 years and I quit earlier this year. I agree with everything you have to say.

October 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LONA

STEVE SLATER SHOULD NOT BE FORCED TO TAKE MEDICATION AT ALL THIS ISN'T FAIR AT ALL HE IS INNOCENT EVERY EMPLOYEE SHOULD GET ON THEIR COMPANIES PA SYSTEM AND CURSE SOME TIMES ITS THE BEST MENTAL HEALING YOU CAN GET

October 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Michelle

Lona has a valid point. Better to vent with a PA than an AK47.

October 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Melissa

He must take assigned medications??? I can understand anger management classes but no one should be FORCED to be on meds!

October 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Kim

Forced medication sounds like a backward step in both our mental health system and our justice system. That he should be required to see a therapist of his own choosing, and that he comply with whatever that therapist's recommended treatment is, would seem reasonable. What that treatment consisted of should be between him and his chosen therapist.

As for Geri, while I sympathize with Mr. Slater and other flight attendants who put up with more abuse than should be allowed. The blame does lay solely with passengers, but with the airlines who are nickel and dimming their customers to death; and treating them like so much cargo rather than human beings. The frustration is showing more and more.

October 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kim

Sorry "does NOT lie solely with passengers"

October 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Geri

Airline employees are upset over all the fees! But its not the gate agent or ramp guy who make these fees. We don't vote on it. Just made to enforce them. But that is who Joe+Josephine public abuse. Many agents skip the fees just to have a peaceful day. And yes sorry is a two way street. But its usually traveled alone.

October 19, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Germaine child of GOD

Can People actually be forced to take medication? For yelling over a loud speaker? Omg really?......what if you FART in public?...I mean that's not nice-def a straight jacket then?

October 20, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. My4YearOldSays

Okay, I get the anger mgmt, sure why not. He might need to learn to release his stress in a more productive and less threatening manner, but to order him to take medication? Is this punishment or has he been diagnosed with some type of mental ailment that requires medication? A court order to ingest medication is the price to pay for yelling obscenities over a loud speaker, I guess. I wonder if handing out punishment for giving dirty looks can be far behind?!?!

October 20, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Mary

I flew a couple of weeks ago, I checked my luggage and paid the appropriate fee. When I got to the airplane I saw a lot of people getting on the plane with large luggage, they avoided the fee but the passengers that paid the baggage fee were forced to wait while their large bags were being stowed. I felt for the attendents that were trying to accomodate the people that avoided the fee.

October 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply