October 20th, 2010

iReport challenge: #BeAHero for gay teens

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

The recent rash of teen suicides has put a harsh spotlight on anti-gay bullying. It’s a problem throughout the world, as evidenced by today’s story about the Ugandan newspaper that published 100 pictures of gays and lesbians in the country and called for their hanging.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has dubbed today Spirit Day. The advocacy group is asking people to wear purple to show support for gay youth and “stand UP to the bullies.”

Here’s your “Be A Hero” challenge for today:

If you support the mission to end anti-LGBT bullying around the world, do one or more of the following:

- Put on purple, take a photo or video of yourself and upload it to iReport

- Change your Twitter profile or Facebook page to purple

- Tweet: I’m wearing purple to end anti-LGBT bullying. #spiritday #BeAHero

- Record a video for the “It Gets Better” YouTube project (Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was the latest to join the campaign)

Then tell us what you did in the comments.

Check back this afternoon for the results of today’s challenge.

1. Robert

The suicides by bullied gays have been terribly tragic. But aren't the suicides by bullied straights equally as tragic?

October 20, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Preston

I think it should have been something a bit more obvious. Lots of people probably wore purple without the intention to stop the hate. So, I wore purple, but I also wrote NO H8 on both my hands to get the point across. Being in Utah I got some quizzical looks. Oh Mormons, you make my smiles happen

No H8.

October 20, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. ~gypsyquest~

"As a Christian, I AM SORRY, for the narrow-minded, judgemental, deceptive, manipulative actions of those who took away the Rights & Equality of so many in the name of God. Our hearts are with you. CHRISTIANITY FOR ALL!" :)

October 20, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Heidi

More gay agenda.
    Is it not a ridiculous concept to encourage perversion?

October 21, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. no more

Sounds like a bully.

October 20, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sean

If this was a Christian teen you would be all over it.

October 20, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. NewCoaster

That's effed up and mean. And don't quote CSN if you don't understand it the songs. Jeebus.

October 20, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. John Baynor

Just because YOU can reproduce doesn't mean you Should Darlin'

October 20, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jack Daws

In an overpopulated world perhaps we should be grateful when people do not reproduce. I wish your parents hadn't.

October 20, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Don Sutton

Being raised in a Christian home, and father being a baptist minister, I would say I was taught the way my parents WANTED me to grow up. They didn't understand what was going on with me as a child, and I didn't either. I have had to embrace who I am on my own. People need to pay attention to their children. This could be your child.

October 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. SurRy

You sound like a real deep thinker.

October 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. krp

@John Baynor – well said!!

October 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sean

Oh Rita, you crazy woman. You are an ignorant human being who also has blood on her hands. Your God will not be happy.

October 20, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. SDCyclist

That's the dumbest comment ever posted on CNN. You should be ashamed. How do you sleep at night?

October 20, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. butchforlife

FYI..if you say "Gross :("... that's still bullying. It's just passive-agressive.

October 20, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse | Reply