October 20th, 2010

iReport challenge: #BeAHero for gay teens

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

The recent rash of teen suicides has put a harsh spotlight on anti-gay bullying. It’s a problem throughout the world, as evidenced by today’s story about the Ugandan newspaper that published 100 pictures of gays and lesbians in the country and called for their hanging.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has dubbed today Spirit Day. The advocacy group is asking people to wear purple to show support for gay youth and “stand UP to the bullies.”

Here’s your “Be A Hero” challenge for today:

If you support the mission to end anti-LGBT bullying around the world, do one or more of the following:

– Put on purple, take a photo or video of yourself and upload it to iReport

– Change your Twitter profile or Facebook page to purple

– Tweet: I’m wearing purple to end anti-LGBT bullying. #spiritday #BeAHero

– Record a video for the “It Gets Better” YouTube project (Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was the latest to join the campaign)

Then tell us what you did in the comments.

Check back this afternoon for the results of today’s challenge.

1. Frankee

So today people wear purple ......What do we wear on Friday ,for the horse and donkey show?????? Please advise soonest>>>>>>>>>

October 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. samsteve

Everyone is beautiful;in their own way...

October 20, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. special k

I'm wearing purple today. I have also recorded a video for the "It Gets Better" project:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLq5h3sny88&w=640&h=360]

October 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Vianette

IM WEARING PURPLE! I also changed my Profile pic to Purple. So with my Bright Purple Shirt my friend and I are going to go all over Dupont Circle (in DC) and show our support!

October 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jenna Jaffe -Melissas

Changed my color on Facebook and encouraged others!

October 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brittany DeBow

*check* – Put on purple, take a photo or video of yourself and upload it to iReport
    *check* – Change your Twitter profile or Facebook page to purple
    *check* – Tweet: I’m wearing purple to end anti-LGBT bullying. #spiritday #BeAHero

October 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eric

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2QCQNbZPs&w=640&h=360]

October 20, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jordan Dietz

Supporting. But My Computer is too slow I can't get on the Join Page. IM SUPPORTING 1000% Though!

October 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LAUREN

II THINK THIS IS A GREAT IDEA =) I HAVE A GAY BROTHER AND HE IS ONE OF THE MOST KIND CARING PEOPLE I KNOW...HE HAS GROWN WITH SUPPORT FROM A FAMILY THAT LOVES HIM UNCONDITIONALLY AND I JUST WANT TO SAY TO ANYONE OUT THERE AFRAID OR SCARED THERE IS HOPE AND THERE IS HELP PEOPLE DO CARE!!! AND NOT EVERYBODY IS FULL OF HATE FOR A PERSON JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT =)

October 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Christian Dewey.

My letter to my uncle to help him understand what young gay people endure and how we can improve things. A call to arms.

October 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Victoria

I proudly wore purple at school today. It doesn't matter what you think about gays, bullying any child, regardless of the reason, should not be acceptable. We should all support someone who needs our help.

October 20, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Name*chris

That is great. Just because a few emotionally unstable sissy boys commit suicide, we as a society are expected to coddle gays and give them their own special day? Give me a break! Gays have a protected status like endangered species now this?!

October 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hot

Disgusting. Why does CNN support this trash?

October 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NoPurple

Glad I didn't wear purple today.

Bullying happens if your gay or if your straight. Why choose one group?? Because it makes a hell of a story! The media is only going to post storys that catch people's attention..

October 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |