October 20th, 2010

iReport challenge: #BeAHero for gay teens

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

The recent rash of teen suicides has put a harsh spotlight on anti-gay bullying. It’s a problem throughout the world, as evidenced by today’s story about the Ugandan newspaper that published 100 pictures of gays and lesbians in the country and called for their hanging.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has dubbed today Spirit Day. The advocacy group is asking people to wear purple to show support for gay youth and “stand UP to the bullies.”

Here’s your “Be A Hero” challenge for today:

If you support the mission to end anti-LGBT bullying around the world, do one or more of the following:

– Put on purple, take a photo or video of yourself and upload it to iReport

– Change your Twitter profile or Facebook page to purple

– Tweet: I’m wearing purple to end anti-LGBT bullying. #spiritday #BeAHero

– Record a video for the “It Gets Better” YouTube project (Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was the latest to join the campaign)

Then tell us what you did in the comments.

Check back this afternoon for the results of today’s challenge.

1. DEE

JAMES : YOU ARE AN IGNORANT ASS

October 20, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. netsurfer

Hate starts with religious people and there god but there are other gods,.pick one that dosn't hate, you will be better off and so will the wworld.----– at least think about it.

October 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. netsurfer

don't consider the spelling.consider the concept

October 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Garret

I got about thirty people in my school of like 120 to were purple, but our principal wouldn't let us take a picture because it was in support of gay people, and this day was specifically for them, and not others who have committed suicide, it angers me cause we finally start doin something and we can't even take a picture.

October 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. baptistguy

The Bible says, "For such is the will of God, that by doing what is right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men," -1 Peter 2:15. As a devout Christian, I feel it is my need to tell the people who have left anger and hate filled comments, that they are acting like foolish men. Jesus, in his ministry, sat with Sinners and taught with the Pharisees, He did not discriminate against anyone. Jesus loves you and as a Christian so do I!
    if you would want to talk to me and find out what I believe, here's my secondary email, mjacf09@gmail.com

October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Per Chance do you know where i cna Find Army Nurse Deborah Christiane D'Angelo From New Jersey?,,,

October 20, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. malcolmkass

Where was all the support for the Irish girl who killed herself because of bulling. I don't have a problem with ending bulling of all types, sounds a bit shallow now.

October 20, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. KM.

"I'm gay look at me, blah blah blah". Seriously, I don't give a F*&k if you are gay. Stop whining.

October 20, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TakePart

TakePart supports LGBT students! http://yfrog.com/nflrcj

October 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. em

I am a catholic, republican, american, father, and family man. I am also a human, and feel I have a pretty good moral compass. And NONE of these things have ever compromised my belief that we all have a right to exist in a world free from persecution.

October 20, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kris

What makes a person become gay...is it environment or is it mentality? Just a thought.... I am not being racist or discriminatory...but I have not really come across an answer to this... If you would like to call me a name, do so, but please converse with thought provoking answers...

October 20, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mr Grumpy

Purple? Nice, the color of an old hematoma. You know bullying is not a new phenomenon. However, this hysteria about it is the result of the continued attempt to make everyone effeminate. I remember the day I came home and told my dad a kid was "picking on me." He showed me how to make a fist. Problem solved. These days I'd probably be expelled and nothing would happen to the bully. We continue to emasculate our young men at our own risk.

October 20, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. t

Not only did bullies exist long before gays came out of the closet, but bullies choose victims that belong to a variety of groups, such as young females. Frankly, I am turned off by gays deep consideration for themselves and this grade school spectacle.

October 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Florida

I support loving one another and respecting one another. No one should ever feel threatened or less for what they believe in. I just wish we could all get along...

October 20, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ray gibbs

Cool leveraging of 'Net. Power in picturing. Thank you CNN, your imagination, sensitivity.

October 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |