Army investigators said Wednesday that Major Nidal Hasan had 177 rounds left when he was finally shot down by police last November.
Hasan is charged with killing 13 people and wounding dozens of others after a rampage last November at Fort Hood. A police officer, Major Mark Todd, told the military hearing on Wednesday that he found extra magazines and a second handgun, a revolver, after Hasan finally was subdued, wounded four times.
Todd and his fellow civilian police officer, Sgt. Kim Munley described the gunfight outside the building where the final stand-off occured.
"I challenged him, 'Halt, military police, drop your weapon,'" Todd said during his testimony Wednesday morning. "He raised his weapon and fired."
Munley, who was widely praised for her role in ending the shooting admitted in testimony that she did not know how many times she had hit Hasan.
"I did not see him fall from my shots. No," Munley said.
During her testimony, prosecutors showed a video automatically recorded by a camera mounted on the dashboard in her police car as she raced toward the shooting. In addition to the sound of sirens wailing and fast driving on the way to the scene, the video shows Munley dashing out of her vehicle and bystanders pointing to where the suspect was. Munley is then seen racing off camera. Moments later the tape provides clear audio of repeated gunfire.
A separate police car "dash-cam" was introduced during Todd's testimony but because of a technical glitch there was no audio. Neither police camera recorded video of the final confrontation with Hasan.
Munley told how she exchanged fire with Hasan and was injured herself. She told of the difficulty of getting off an accurate shot at the start of the confrontation because of people in the background.
In the final moments, "I realized he was closing in," Munley said. "We began to exchange fire again. He was shooting and I was returning fire."
After she was wounded three times, Munley was on the ground and she said her police weapon "malfunctioned." Hasan walked up and kicked her weapon away. He did not shoot her again and Munley said he appeared to be having problems with his own weapon.
She described Hasan as solemn, with no expression, a description other witnesses have described in the previous days. Listening to her testimony Wednesday, Hasan gave no reaction, occasionally looking down. He wore his usual fleece watch-cap pulled low on his brow and had a blanket bunched up around his shoulders.
Munley said she remains on medical leave but expects to return to work in a few days, on November 1st.
The defense spent longer in cross-examining Munley than any other of more than 50 witnesses heard so far in this Article 32 hearing, pointing up small differences in her testimony now and what she told investigators immediately after the shootings.
During the period of the final shots, Sgt Todd made repeated calls for Hasan to drop his gun. He said the gunshots seemed to echo between the buildings.
"It sounded like thousands of shots being fired," he said. Asked whether he knew if he hit Hasan, Todd replied, "I see [sic] him wince a couple of times."
In the end Hasan fell to the ground, and Todd ran up and kicked his gun away, turned him over on his stomach and searched him. That's when he found the additional gun, extra ammunition magazines and a cell phone.
New evidence shows that the deadly massacre could have been much worse if Munley and Todd had not arrived when they did. Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID) officer Duane Mitchell said 177 unexpended rounds were recovered from Hasan in both 30 and 20 round magazines. He also explained that Hasan had two different gun sights to help him shoot accurately. A red laser gun sight for low light conditions and a second green laser which is most effective in sunlight.
Mitchell showed receipts found in Hasan's car for gun sight batteries from Lowe's and RadioShack, providing a glimpse into the planning for this attack.
CID special agent Kelly Jameson said 146 spent shell casings had been recovered - the first evidence of how many times Hasan had fired. It was unclear however if these were shell casings just recovered inside the building and whether more were found outside.
At the end of the morning session the defense said they objected to the introduction of autopsy reports for the 13 fatalities, saying they had been denied funding for in independent pathologist.
The investigating officer, Col. James Pohl, who acts as the presiding officer in the case, said he would only receive the autopsy reports to identify the victims and cause of death.
Nine people died in the Army medical processing center and four more died after they were rushed to the base hospital.
The prosecution appears to be racing toward a conclusion of its case, although an additional week had been set aside for its presentation. There will be at least a one week pause on the proceedings as Fort Hood marks one year since the shooting and honors the victims and those soldiers and civilians who exhibited special heroism. The defense will have their chance to present and question witnesses starting November 8.