October 20th, 2010

Wednesday's intriguing people

Christine O'Donnell

The Delaware Senate Candidate has proclaimed herself an expert on the U.S. Constitution. She attributes this knowledge to her time in 2002 as a Lincoln Fellow at the Claremont Institute.

The weeklong fellowship includes various topics on constitutional law. Talking Points Memo, which received a Polk award in 2007 for reporting, obtained a copy of the 2002 syllabus earlier this week.

Nine fellows joined O’Donnell that week. The group includes a woman who went on to become the lead attorney for the Republicans on the House Oversight Committee and a man who was legislative director to former Indiana Congressman John Hostettler.

Most notable of the class is Scott Bloch, who went on to run the White House Office of Special Counsel overseeing whistleblower protection. Earlier this year, he pleaded guilty to contempt of Congress charges regarding the scrubbing data from White House computers.

Ricki Seidman

She is one of the most experienced and influential Democrats in Washington, yet in mainstream circles few probably know that Ricki Seidman found Anita Hill. In 1991, Seidman was an investigating Clarence Thomas' Supreme Court nomination through her work on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Noting his travel to Oklahoma, she eventually heard about the young woman who’d confided to a friend about her experiences with Thomas. While Hill initially wanted to be anonymous, she was eventually identified.

Seidman went on to run Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign. She was also the executive director at Rock the Vote. Most recently she advised the Obama administration regarding the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Jimmy McMillan

His appearance at Monday night’s New York gubernatorial debate was a scene-stealer. By Tuesday, his mantra about the city’s downtrodden was hot internet fodder. This morning, The New York Times brought further attention to the candidate of the rent-is-too-damn-high party by discovering, in an interview, that McMillan lives rent free.

1. Skipca

Ricki Seidman sounds like another Gloria Alred to me. Just happened to hear the story told by Anita Hill? Yeah right.

October 20, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TXZag

You didn't pay attention to the details in the article; she was "investigating Clarence Thomas' Supreme Court nomination through her work on the Senate Judiciary Committee." Gees, if you want to take shots at something, do it with information. Blowing off on emotion is such a stupod thing to do.

October 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehdi General Dr Bad

October 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Big Giant Horsee

The whole new york, new jersey new england section of the us should be allowed to break off and form its own nation. the whole area is purtty much a cesspool anyway.

October 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bertina

Unlike the hypocritical south? Please.

October 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roumen G Tomanov

@Big horsee. New England and New York a cesspool? Like having the best schools in the nation and the world; having the highest income; being the financial, intellectual and historic center of the nation? If that's a cesspool, you backward rednecks down south are still in the primordial bullion. Go drink some moonshine, shoot some squirrels, make love to your sister and shut up.

October 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

Hey throw in a few Mid-Atlantic states, California, Oregon and Washington and you've got a deal! I would love for all ye libritarians to try and run a government. Sorry about that Austin and Atlanta.

October 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tallking

Christine ODonnell "fascinating"???? This is utterly laughable. This woman is an absolute, fraudulent phony charlatan. In a recent encounter, she was not able to cite to one major recent appellate decision she might view as important. People (and I use that term loosely) like her are why the Tea Party will collapse upon itself, sooner or later (sooner, I hope, for everyone's benefit). "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and . . . " Go Teabaggers, go.

October 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

I love how it's completely acceptable for a liberal to trash any conservative with the most vile, vulgar and insulting language, but if a conservative even THINKS that the sainted BHO is an idiot...which he is...they're raked over the coals for being insulting, racist and narrow-minded.

October 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shadysider

BGH – Just say you hate east-coast liberal elitists, it's what you want to say. And I'm betting more people could deal with the breaking off of MS, AL, GA & LA than the new england coast, NY and NJ.

October 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. blf83

Christine O'Donnell is the essence of the Duh factor! If she were and less-informed, she could be Sarah Palin. Who knows, maybe Christine can see Russia from her house in Delaware.

October 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shadysider

Talking – While O'Donnell showed she hasn't followed the decisions of the Supreme Court (which I'm pretty sure is important for any politician to do) the reason she had no answer for the question 'what decisions do you disagree with?' was because she agrees with all of the recent decisions. The only one she could think of was roe v wade. She likes that corporations have the same 'free speech' as citizens, she wants unlimited corparate funding of political campaigns, she favors DADT, etc. As long as she's been an adult, the Roberts/Alito conservative court has presided, so there would be very few things she takes issue with.

October 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

No way. If that was the case, anyone with intelligence would have simply said that she was actually quite happy with recent decisions (which her website came up with the next day) instead of saying I'll get back to you on that. And if she is so happy, she ought to stop yapping about the terrible SC.

October 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. steve

I know a guy who worked with Anita Hill for years. When asked about his view on the Clarence Thomas-Anita Hill fiasco, his standard reply was, "Well I know Anita very well....therefore, I believe Clarence Thomas." And this is a guy of great integrity.

October 20, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

thanks Mrs. Thomas. BTW lay off the drunk dialing for awhile

CT's motivation for lying was obvious

what possible motivation did Anita HIll have

for a so-called conservative CT ssure knows how to play the victim "high tech lyniching" black people we lynched for real in the Bible Belt - ablack woman saying you picked on her is not anything like a lynching

I am CT "poor poor me, I am on the Supreme Court"

October 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ann

I wonder what Clarence Thomas' wife was drinking when she decided to bring up this hot mess again?. The nerve of her demanding an apology from another grown adult 19 years after the event. Maybe she has always been confilicted and has never bought her husband's story that he was innocent.

October 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

or maybe she knows her husband is not guilty and has never gotten over the hell that she and her husband went through and would like some closure.

October 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynanne Reed

@Steve.... real "closure" is forgiveness and acceptance that you have given up the hope of a different past. CT's wife is still holding on to the issue because her intuition is telling her that she has reason to! She is grasping for straws and hoping beyond all hope that Ms. Hill will tell her what she wants to hear (that her husband is not a pig) because CTs wife can't handle what her intuition is STILL telling her – that her husband is a womanizer!

October 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dave

thanks Mrs. Thomas. BTW lay off the drunk dialing for awhile

CT's motivation for lying was obvious

what possible motivation did Anita HIll have

for a so-called conservative CT sure knows how to play the victim "high tech lyniching" black people were lynched for real in the Bible Belt – a black woman saying you picked on her is not anything like a lynching

I am CT "poor poor me, I am on the Supreme Court"

October 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynanne Reed

It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now
      Said I wouldn't call but I lost all control and I need you now
      And I don't know how I can do without
      I just need you now

October 20, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dave

America could afford to lose the Lynching Belt, oops, I mean the Bible Belt

October 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nativemind

Conservatives have plenty of juicy choice words they use to describe liberals and BHO. And none of them are even close to being appropriate for this venue. I use them all the time. Why? Because I'm not some pant wasted, politically correct, liberal pansy that thinks my every word effects everyone around me. That's arrogance....

October 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • C

Hmmmm I find it interesting that women are bashing women on here (specifically O'Donnell and Palin). Why are you so selecitve? What about Patty Murray? She seems okay because she is a liberal? She is a stong intellect in your mind? Maybe she hasn't made the national news as much but as a Washingtonian, I can tell you she isn't exactly an intellectual. She has said some pretty embarassing things–which makes me wonder why she hasn't made the national news more. Maybe people are right when they talk about the media being liberal and biased.

October 22, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. winter

I hope the tea baggers never go away I just hope they get better judgement on the people they back. I would rather have them then listen to the young people today who voted for a president with no substance. He has as much experience as O'Donnell but you all make excuses for him. Like his lovely healthcare bill, do you know that most people will only be able to afford the high deductibles and with them unless your employer pays part you have to put out $2400 on a $1200 deductable. How many people will choose not to go to the doctor because they don't have the money to put out. All those who voted for that idiot will eat their words before it over.

October 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Game James

Please do not compare that idiot O'Donnell to the president. It is very clear that Obama has more intelligence in his little finger than this dummy has in her whole body. Are you so dissatisfied that you would be okay with someone in office who doesn't know basic 8th grade politics?

October 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mehdi General Dr Bad

Per Chance do you know where i cna Find Army Nurse Deborah Christiane D'Angelo From New Jersey?,,

October 20, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. David Pardo

Did Christine O'Donnell contribute to Scott Bloch's legal defense fund?

October 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Diana

Christine and Sarah are of the same ilk, and people who support them like the fact that someone in office is ignorant. It a self affirmation, sort of an "I'm okay; you're okay." A frightening thought.

October 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |