October 21st, 2010

French protesters march in Paris as lawmakers vote

Students demonstrated in central Paris on Thursday as protesters and lawmakers went down to the wire in a battle over pension reform. Protest leaders said they planned to march close to the Senate.

Senators are due to finish voting on a package of reforms that would raise the retirement age from 60 to 62, among other changes - plans which have provoked demonstrations that have brought more than a million people onto the streets of France several times over the past month.

About 1,500 were out Thursday, the left-wing French newspaper Liberation estimated.

FULL STORY

Filed under: France • World
  1. Robby

This should set an example for the citizens of the states.
    We must stop sitting back and waiting for decisions to be made for us. Its US that should be making the decisions

October 21, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ash

Well aren't you the sweetest little thing?

October 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. phil

Mere extortion. That's all this is. French people are terrorizing their fellow citizens because they want to retire before 62. Maybe Americans can exort our way to earlier retirement too?

October 21, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ash

Now whoa whoa whoa right there spinach chin!

October 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nat

I think this article is skimming on fact..I think their are probably a lot in the bill that we aren't being told about!! I say viva la france...strike, strike!

October 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jim Brieske

Ash. You attacked me on the comet post. Okay sweetheart, let me get to the point. If you ever attack me again my little liberal darling, I shall give you a word sp/anking like your tiny toosh has never had imprinted on it.
    Toosh is french, right? Yeah it is. I probably have it spelled wrong.
    Just staying on subject with something french written. They are being selfish over there across the pond. I do love Paris, though. Next time I go, I am not taking a girlfriend.
    touche
    tooche
    toush
    toushe
    It's one of those. Now technically, miss smartie pants Ash, can't get me for mispelling the french version of her butt.
    jim

October 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Elle

Haha jim that was great. XD

October 22, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. well

French are fighting for a good cause,why should they have to wait longer to retire meanwhile politicans retire any age due receiving lobbist money.i hope amreicans stand up when politicans decide to abolish or cange social security.

October 22, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse | Reply