October 22nd, 2010

ANNOYING RIGHT? HAPPY CAPS LOCK DAY

One of thousands of Twitter status messages about CAPS LOCK DAY.

THERE'S NOTHING MOST TECH-SAVVY PEOPLE HATE MORE THAN SEEING THIS - THE ESSENTIAL SHOUTING OVER THE COMPUTER - THROUGH THE ENTIRE USE OF THE CAPS LOCK.

BUT APPARENTLY TODAY WE ARE TO CELEBRATE IT IN HONOR OF INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY, WHICH  HAS ITS OWN WEBSITE, AND NOW ITS OWN TWITTER ACCOUNT (THOUGH THERE ARE ONLY A FEW POSTINGS.)

I HAVEN'T A CLUE AS TO WHY WE ARE WE CELEBRATING SOMETHING THAT DRIVES MOST PEOPLE CRAZY - AND TO A POINT WHERE IT'S A TRENDING TOPIC ON GOOGLE AND TWITTER. A QUICK SEARCH OF THE WEB SHOWS ME IT WAS JUST AN IDEA THAT HAPPENED IN 2000 AND HASN'T STOPPED SINCE.

I ALREADY CAN'T STAND LOOKING AT THIS POST IN ALL CAPS, IN THE SAME WAY I CAN'T STAND IT WHEN SOMEONE WHO'S NEVER TYPED AN E-MAIL BEFORE (THAT'S YOU, MANY MOMS AROUND THE WORLD) AND THEY TYPE IT IN MASSIVE 20-POINT, BRIGHT PINK, ALL CAPS FONTS. WE GET IT, YOU LOVE US. OR HATE US. OR WHATEVER YOU'RE TRYING TO CONVEY THAT YOU MUST SHOUT IT IN ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION.  NOT TO MENTION, AS SOME PEOPLE NOTED, OBSERVING THE HOLIDAY BRINGS YOU PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PASSWORD.

so. with that. we at this just in, will scoff at the all caps, and go another route, marking this day of punctual sacrifice in a paradoxical ee cummings-esque style. (because that much caps lock, would even make me want to scream at me for typing this way.) so we say, forget the caps - completely.

and we have the backing and firepower of the federal highway administration behind us. seriously. they just recently directed every city, town and place in the nation to make every new street sign must have upper- and lower-case letters in hopes of increasing legibility and reducing accidents.

see ya later MAIN STREET, hello Main Street. (forgive our use of the caps there, it was just to show the point.)

not everyone is happy - specifically - the city that never sleeps. it's known for its iconic signs in all caps. on the streets, subways and everywhere else.  now the city says it would cost them more than $27 million to complete the task. and will anyone want to buy a street sign that says Madison Ave? certainly it's not as attractive as the iconic MADISON AVE. (apologies again.) and new yorkers are not happy either, the daily news reported.

Okay, enough with the ridiculousness, our copy editors are probably up in arms by now.

Let's just take this time to be thankful that while the Internet will be lit up in all caps today, it could be worse, we could be celebrating Comic Sans day.

And we know how you feel about that.

1. RAMHEMI4X4

GET OVER IT, WHAT BABY DECIDED THAT CAPITAL LETTERS IS YELLING, THEN AGAIN, MAYBE IF YOU ARE GETTING ALL-CAPS YOU DESERVE IT BECAUSE YOU WERE NOT LISTENING/GETTING IT BEFORE.

October 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. IRISHCOLEEN

I USE CAPS LOCK ALL THE TIME BECAUSE MY EYESIGHT IS VERY BAD AND I CAN'T READ WHAT I AM TYPING WITHOUT THE CAPS LOCK ON. I AM SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE. I AM CERTAINLY NOT EVER SCREAMING AT ANYONE.( I WOULD ONLY DO THAT IN PERSON. HA-HA). I HAVE HAD THE PROBLEM OF BEING VERY FARSIGHTED SINCE THIRD GRADE. THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!!!!!!

October 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • cccmonteiro

LOL! I HEAR YOU!

October 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Master_Kush

Caps lock is not shouting. Its caps lock, meaning all letters are capital. And anyone to be annoyed by caps lock has a very shallow life. There are more things important...

October 23, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. susan

LONG LIVE OWEN MEANY!!!!!!!

October 23, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. kellen

@tomcat- that was funny.

October 23, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Evil Rat

Personally, I could care less if it is in caps or not. I prefer to judge the emotion of the comment by the words and punctuation used. If the commenter is unable to do that, well their message is lost when using all caps to "color" their comment when I read it.
    Not entirely meaning to be insulting here, but the US school system is seriously lacking on teaching many children reading and comprehension skills. This is often reflected in the comments people post on the web. Poor spelling, lack of punctuation, bad grammar, and the need to resort to name calling all indicate one thing to me – this was posted by an immature, and likely undereducated person. As such, I view the entire post as suspect in every way – facts, relevance, and the intentions of the poster.

October 23, 2012 at 12:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. ROSANA

DON'T FORGET THAT VISUAL IMPAIRMENT REQUIRES, MANY TIMES, THE USE OF CAPS LOCK. AND SINCE THE SOCIETY IS GROWING OLDER, IT WOULD BE BETTER TO RETHINK THE "OLD RULES". (AND PLEASE, DON'T TRY TO TEACH US HOW TO USE THE ACCESSIBILITY TOOLS. WE ALREADY KNOW IT).

May 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jeff

BUT CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

October 22, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. AAARRRGGHHH!! - MY HEART!

I, TOO TYPE LIKE BILLY MAYS USED TO SPEAK. I AM ALSO HIGH ON BLOW – JUST LIKE BILLY MAYS!

October 22, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. pasttense

Spoke. Unless you count the creepy Obi-wan Kenobi ghost image with Anthony Sullivan talking over him.

October 22, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. RH of WI

You are an IDIOT!

October 22, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. conoclast

Right-on, HEY YOU! They both sold us a bill of goods, the difference being that some of the stuff Billy flogged actually works.

October 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mercfan

HE TALKED LIKE THAT BECAUSE HE WAS A COKE HEAD!!

October 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. U.S. Military Major- John Smith

YOU NEED TO SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND STOP TALKING ABOUT JESUS.

October 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. thumperfeets

This is hands down the funniest thing I've heard all week. Thank you.

October 22, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply