October 22nd, 2010

ANNOYING RIGHT? HAPPY CAPS LOCK DAY

One of thousands of Twitter status messages about CAPS LOCK DAY.

THERE'S NOTHING MOST TECH-SAVVY PEOPLE HATE MORE THAN SEEING THIS - THE ESSENTIAL SHOUTING OVER THE COMPUTER - THROUGH THE ENTIRE USE OF THE CAPS LOCK.

BUT APPARENTLY TODAY WE ARE TO CELEBRATE IT IN HONOR OF INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY, WHICH  HAS ITS OWN WEBSITE, AND NOW ITS OWN TWITTER ACCOUNT (THOUGH THERE ARE ONLY A FEW POSTINGS.)

I HAVEN'T A CLUE AS TO WHY WE ARE WE CELEBRATING SOMETHING THAT DRIVES MOST PEOPLE CRAZY - AND TO A POINT WHERE IT'S A TRENDING TOPIC ON GOOGLE AND TWITTER. A QUICK SEARCH OF THE WEB SHOWS ME IT WAS JUST AN IDEA THAT HAPPENED IN 2000 AND HASN'T STOPPED SINCE.

I ALREADY CAN'T STAND LOOKING AT THIS POST IN ALL CAPS, IN THE SAME WAY I CAN'T STAND IT WHEN SOMEONE WHO'S NEVER TYPED AN E-MAIL BEFORE (THAT'S YOU, MANY MOMS AROUND THE WORLD) AND THEY TYPE IT IN MASSIVE 20-POINT, BRIGHT PINK, ALL CAPS FONTS. WE GET IT, YOU LOVE US. OR HATE US. OR WHATEVER YOU'RE TRYING TO CONVEY THAT YOU MUST SHOUT IT IN ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION.  NOT TO MENTION, AS SOME PEOPLE NOTED, OBSERVING THE HOLIDAY BRINGS YOU PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PASSWORD.

so. with that. we at this just in, will scoff at the all caps, and go another route, marking this day of punctual sacrifice in a paradoxical ee cummings-esque style. (because that much caps lock, would even make me want to scream at me for typing this way.) so we say, forget the caps - completely.

and we have the backing and firepower of the federal highway administration behind us. seriously. they just recently directed every city, town and place in the nation to make every new street sign must have upper- and lower-case letters in hopes of increasing legibility and reducing accidents.

see ya later MAIN STREET, hello Main Street. (forgive our use of the caps there, it was just to show the point.)

not everyone is happy - specifically - the city that never sleeps. it's known for its iconic signs in all caps. on the streets, subways and everywhere else.  now the city says it would cost them more than $27 million to complete the task. and will anyone want to buy a street sign that says Madison Ave? certainly it's not as attractive as the iconic MADISON AVE. (apologies again.) and new yorkers are not happy either, the daily news reported.

Okay, enough with the ridiculousness, our copy editors are probably up in arms by now.

Let's just take this time to be thankful that while the Internet will be lit up in all caps today, it could be worse, we could be celebrating Comic Sans day.

And we know how you feel about that.

1. Professor Tupos

Caps lock should not even be an option. It needs to be removed from all keyboards.

October 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. NIK84

THIS HOLIDAY IS SO LAME I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN IN ALL CAPS. NYAAA NYAAA NYAAA NYAAA

October 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. SmartBlondie

No author? Embarrassed about your inane article?

October 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Chips Handon

LOUD NOISES

October 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. kikiduh

AINT NTTN WRONG WIT CAPS LOCK I LUVH IT CUZ DAHTS ALL I CAN WRITE OR TEX IN FOR ALL THE HATERS

October 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. U.S. Military Major- John Smith

THIS DAY IS SO AWESOME, EXCEPT THE FACT THAT I CANT LOG IN TO MY MILITARY ACCOUNT ON MY LAP TOP, SO I GUESS IM GONNA HAVE TO GIVE UP AND TAKE IT OFF CAPS LOCK:(

October 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. David

Atleastyourspacebarisn'tbroken,youjerk.

October 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • U.S. Military Major- John Smith

DAVID YOUR THE JERK SO YOU CAN SHUT UP TOO!!!!!!!

October 22, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jim atmadison

Happy what?

I never read a post if it's in caps lock. If you have you 'shout', your thoughts obviously can't stand up on their own.

October 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. SME

I just wish someone would invent a font for Sarcasm

October 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jim

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

October 22, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

Perhaps. But you still have to STEER!

October 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. FoolKiller

"directed every city, town and place in the nation to make every new street sign must have upper- and lower-case letters in hopes of increasing legibility" Say what? Wasn't that why they were made ALL CAPS in the first place??

October 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. JACKOB

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. EVERY DAY IS CAPS LOCK DAY.

October 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Conic

Okay. After the first few sentences, I stopped reading. I find this to be irritating and stupid.

October 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. tomcat

and i told mom the alphabet soup and spaghetti os were always yelling at me.

October 22, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Epicism

This started out really loud, so I turned the volume down a bit. Sadly, this resulted in my being unable to hear the rest.

October 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply