October 23rd, 2010

Wife who stabbed husband to death gets chance at probation

Susan Wright said she killed her husband in 2004 after years of physical and mental abuse.

A Texas woman who was sentenced to prison for stabbing her husband more than 200 times may have a chance at probation as a second jury reconsiders her sentence.

Once dubbed the "blue-eyed butcher" in news accounts, Susan Wright is serving a 25-year sentence for stabbing her husband, Jeffrey, to death in 2003. During her murder trial the following year, Harris County District Attorneys alleged that Wright tied her husband to their bed during a seduction, dripped hot wax on his body and killed him.

An appellate court upheld Wright's conviction of first-degree murder but set aside her sentence, finding that her attorneys failed to do their job in the penalty phase of the case.

The mother of two from Houston faces a wide range of sentencing options, from probation to life in prison. The decision rests in the hands of a new 12-person jury.

Read the full story on CNN.com.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Texas
  1. Matt

i am a criminal justice student and i learned recently that self defense means force met with equal force. for example if a person comes at you with a knife it is legal to use a knife to defend yourself. if a person comes at you with a knife and you grab a gun and shoot the guy then self defense no longer applies now you're looking at manslaughter if the assailent dies

November 1, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julia

I respectfully disagree. If someone was coming at me with a knife and all I had near me was a gun I would probably use it to defend myself from being stabbed. In Susan Wright's case though, I would agree with you. If he were tied up what did she defend herself from? The threat was gone at that point. She should have grabbed the kids and left.

November 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sarah Johnson

I cannot believe this, I think of my life, I was the 10th child of 11 never knew my gambling drunk father, was sent to live with a foster family where inappropiate behavior occurred you name it. I got away went back to stay with my mom, at 17 married a drunk, had two children, but broke that chain of abuse, I divorced and took my kids with me made my way in life and now would do anything for my children and now my grandchildren.This woman is totally making a mockery of this type of situation and totally playing games and working the system to the full extent. God will be her ultimate judge.

November 1, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sarah Johnson

Crocidile tears are being shed here, she is like the theif who is not a bit sorry for stealing but terribly sorry that she has been caught and if she had to do it all over again she would do no different. (this is a similiar statement Margaret Mitchell made in her novel Gone with the Wind). this woman needs to stop crying about it and take ownership for her mistakes and stop finding a cheesy way out.

November 1, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. etta47

i think that women who stay with abusive men have self-esteem issues. i know. i did it over 40 years ago and i wasn't even married to him. the last time was in 2001. he put his hands on around my neck and began to squeeze, and right in front of his family. of course they violently took him off me. but later on that night before i went home, he said to me, "have i ever did that to you before?" i had to say no because prior to that night he hadn't. "so this is the first time?" he asks as if he doesn't know. anyway i told him "that was one time too many." when you begin loving yourself, and respecting yourself things are different. I don't subscribe to some women's theory that "he'll never hit me." i do believe however, that it sure won't happen a second time because i won't be around-after i try to get him arrested. i am special. if not to a man then to myself. i think women need to know and understand that.

November 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • etta47

ooppsss, sorry, i made it sound like i stayed with the same man of over 40 years ago. nope. the one in 2001 was new. as a matter of fact, i even let it be known to my male relatives that i am HANDS OFF! physically, mentally, emotionally. of course that leads them to think i'm nuts. oh well. we all have opinions and my opinion of me as far as men abusing me in ANY way is i don't deserve to be mistreated. oh how i wish women understood that. we're special. it took a long, long time to realize this. if it means being alone because some man thinks we're nuts because we won't allow them to "handle" us...hey! it is what it is.

November 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lisa Evans - Long Beach, CA

I am a victim of abuse. Mentally, physically, and verbally. My ex-husband verbally and mentally broke me down then started the physical abuse. If and I do mean IF, there was abuse then I take my hat off to Susan Wright. Especially if she wasn't getting help from law enforcement. I listened to what Mr. Jordan had to say about abuse. Stating that he doesn't believe Jeff would just fly off the handle. My husband would literally beat me because I folded his underwear wrong. I really believe that Susan seduced her husband into the bedroom and planned to kill him. There is only so much someone can take before they snap. She got him on a good day (a day that he wasn't abusive) and played it out. I believe she kept stabbing him until he was dead and kept stabbing and kept stabbing. She knew that if he for any reason wasn't dead and somehow got free that he would kill her. She just wanted the abuse to stop and the only way she knew was to kill him. I believe she is did what she had to do to save her self. I hope she is released.

November 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ray Miller - Ky

I think she should have stuck out the 26 years. I would not give her a free ticket out of jail if I were on that jury. But then again, she may have sealed her own fate with this appeal. Life is exactly what she deserves.

November 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeanny

Ray you will never no exactly what went behind close doors, im glad your not in her shoes , or any other abusive relationship. and for you to say how glad your not sitting in with the jury how glad im. your not.you dont no what its like to get beat , kicked , slapped knocked out cause your husband or boy friend didnt have a good day. or get verbally abused cause yoyuwerent sitting correctly at the table. or cause you go out to dinner and you glanced at someone passing bye.and then for them to tell you wait until you get home. ive been in a very abusive relationship, where they have broken my cell phone so i wouldnt call for help. knocked me out and left me knocked out til morning . no one to call , no car keys to drive awyt. and car belonging to me. he deserves everything he got. why didnt he go beat on another man, why ! cause they would have probably kicked hes ass. So when your abused people ask why dont you call the cops? how can you when they have degrated you every which way. and then they tell you, no ones going to believe you. ... . so i believe she was abused by this man. he got everything he deserved. set that woman free and allow her children back into her life.....

December 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chandra

well said kathy

November 18, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Richard

two things if this is a re-sentence then why is a jury present to my knowledge a jury does not sentence she is already guilty.
    if she is capeable of stabbing someone 193 times she is capeable of anything it takes a good while i assume to stabb 193 times so what happens if someone cuts her off on the interstate and she flips again or anything happens that she feels is aggressive towards her is a unsuspecting victim in her future.how many mistakes does the legal system have to make before they get it right. she deserves no less than life in prison

November 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. nanci

if I was on that jury I would let her off because people dont know what horror she endured because of that dog she was married too, I put up with 7 years of abuse from my ex husband, he would come in the house drunk and break things, and if I call the police he would ran out the house for hours, and then come back in the house, be quiet for a few days, and then start all over again. Sometimes women dont want to report abuse because they are so ashamed because people think they should just leave, but what if Susan had left and jeff still harrass her, she was scared of him,and took so much abuse and knew he would kill her. Let the woman go because jeff was a horrible person and he deserve what he got. My husband used to curse me out and scandal my name with other people, but people dont think that is abuse, but thats mental abuse, one time he threw a tea cup and it pass inches from my face, it broke up in a million pieces, so some men could be nice outside with friends, but inside the house its like living with a wild animal.

November 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeanny

thats so very true nanci! i agree 100 percent

December 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bethie

I hope she walks,loved watching the exfiance tell her story. That woman procester is a pain in the butt-i hate it those 2 don't believe her. I can totally understand Susan stabbing that lowlife 193+ times who wouldn't. It takes one to know one (abused women).

November 23, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. donna

ok maybe she was abused maybe not but excuse me their are alot of woman even men out there who have been abused and may have had feelings of wanting their perpetrator dead and have found other ways to handle that situation. she could have went for help while he was at work. i have been hurt to but i went to the law might have taken a while to do so and justice got served. so her playing the game she's playing is only hurting her worse. i feel she's guilty and serve her time

December 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. carol

This trial is being played again today on IN SESSION ,i had followed the trial from when it had first went to trial the first time,and my comment is most of the people who have commented on this saying she deserves to be where shes at ,and that bottom line is she killed him which i do agree that is bottom line ,but the prosecutor Kelly Siegler whom i love to watch in the court room ,she brought up over an over that the defendant never had any broken bones or gone to doctor during all of those years of abuse ,so basically it wasnt true or couldnt have happened like Susan Wright was saying it did because she had no proof ,which brings me to the heart of my comment ,until someone is in Susan"s position then no one should say oh she is where she belongs or she is lying ,because i was beat every single day for over 11 years and every day i got up i had to wait to see how his mood was going to be to know how my day was going to be .Usually no matter what some point of the day something would trigger him and i would get beat so bad i never knew if i was going to live through that day or not ,i was 5'6 and 120 pounds and he was 6 foot and over 300 pounds and he used every single bit of his weight with each punch,each kick and several times i was bloody from these beatings but ,i DID NOT suffer from broken bones either ,i did not go to my doctor ,nor to the police or to my family because i thought at the time if i did then i would get beat worse by him,so its easy for people to say why didnt you do this or that but until you have lived it and until you have lived in fear of telling anyone then i dnt think alot of these people that commented saying she is just a plain killer understand what kind of fear it is to have to live that way and to think that if you go for help that no matter where you are that he will come through the doors and either kill you or beat you so bad for telling on him that it makes you afraid to do anything that you think might set him off,so i truly believe that Susan Wright went through everything that she said she did but because of the world we live in today if you have no proof of all of the things she said he did then sadly she is the one that is guilty .Like i said, no one will ever be able to live in her shoes or understand her side of this until you truly have experienced what she went through,now i try so hard to tell battered women PLEASE ,PLEASE,GO TELL SOMEONE THAT YOU ARE A VICTIM OF A BATTERED WOMAN OR MAN ,before your situation turns into a Susan Wright case and she is still having to pay to this day for not telling anyone .

December 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Kiki

Susan wright I just watch her movie she did not deserve to go to jail she did 1 thing oiled him that's painful she went there more pain he smashed her head ,punch her in the stomic ,kicked her as hard as he can forced her to do things so y send her to jail

July 15, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply