October 25th, 2010

Newspaper won't print gay marriage announcements

Greg Gould and Aurelio Tine say they just wanted to share their wedding plans.

So they went one of the largest papers in New Hampshire, where gay marriage is legal and generally accepted, to work up a wedding announcement.

But the ÔĽŅNew Hampshire Union Leader, the Manchester paper known for its conservative viewpoints, refused to print it, a decision that has sparked anger from the couple and lit up the Twittersphere and the Web.

"I was really disappointed because the Union Leader is a big voice in the state of New Hampshire, and they seem to be so out of touch," Gould told CNN affiliate WMUR-TV in Manchester.

The newspaper, however, issued a statement saying that printing the announcement would be "hypocritical" given its previous practices.

‚ÄúThis newspaper has never published wedding or engagement announcements from homosexual couples," Publisher Joe McQuaid said. "It would be hypocritical of us to do so, given our belief that marriage is and needs to remain a social and civil structure between men and women and our opposition to the recent state law legalizing gay marriage.‚ÄĚ

In its full statement, printed online, the paper said firmly that it is not "anti-gay" and because of press freedoms can choose to print - or not print - whatever it wants.

Still, that move hasn't stopped the matter from becoming a controversy, with Democratic Senate candidate Paul Hodes, making it an election issue as well.

Hodes wrote a letter to the paper that read in part: "Mr. Gould and Mr. Tine will become legally married this weekend and they should have the same opportunities as everyone in New Hampshire to have their marriage publicized and recognized. The Union Leader's disgraceful policy of exclusion harkens to a different time in this country when people were denied opportunity because of their race, religion and ethnic origin."

What do you think? Should the paper give gay couples the same chance to announce their weddings? Or does freedom of the press override that, and allow the newspaper to make the decision it did? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

1. Joe Schmoe

Personally I am greatful that they have the right to print whatever they please in this country. It allows me, as a consumer, to make an informed decision on where I should or should not spend my money. One papers loss is another papers gain.

October 26, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jon

I'm all for gay rights but the paper has every right to print and not print what it wants.

October 26, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. NotUrWay

It's funny how the headline reads "Paper won't print gay marriages", and I started laughing then checked out the link. Too bad it's not just faulty paper like I assumed at first, that would of been hilarious! Like CNN, even a news paper can print what ever it wants to and what ever it doesn't want to. Looks like another fight brewing!

October 26, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. MM

Deviant!

October 26, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. MM

You gay people sure know how to whine!

October 26, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Opponents to equal rights for gays sure know how to look ignorant.

October 26, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. DEKA

Gay people are useless. Making a fuss over someone not publishing their marriage? Annoying men...shouldn't reporters be more worried about wars/hunger/natural disasters, not not the whining of two gay men who are useless. I haven't seen one gay man who is worried about other people or other humans but themselves.

Be gay, no one gives a damn, but stop annoying the CNN front page with gay marriage and not how we can help children across the world.

America/Christianity/white /Black/Gay – why why why? Everyone needs a butt whooping. I wish my mama whooped your backsides to straighten ya'll.

October 26, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. jen

i agree with the paper!it makes me happy that there are still people that stand for their beliefs.people hate christians for not belieing in gay marriage and for not changing with the times.america has become what it is because people are letting go of god.true christians dont hate gay people.we want them to experience the love of god and have eternal life.my heart is heavy for my best friend whom ive seen struggle with the lifestyle choices that shes made.its not discrimination against gay people bc we want to keep god in america!!!marriage is for a man and woman!

October 26, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. GOD is Great

GOD is Great all the time. Thank GOD that someone stands up for what is right. GOD bless The New Hampshire Union Leader!! Gay people should stop pushing this sin on people. Period. Live your life. How and what you do is between you and GOD. But stop pushing sin down everyone's throat. This country was founded on Christianity. Period!!

October 26, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

"The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation."
      ‚ÄĒ Treaty of Tripoli (1797), carried unanimously by the Senate with many members who were founders of the U.S. and signed into law by President John Adams

October 26, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • offkilterview

as well, most of the "founding fathers" were athiests

October 26, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cat MacLeod

Left quit whining, Right quit hating. Those of with a level head say marriage is legal contract anyone should be able to enter into and the newspaper has a right to refuse business if it wants to. Can we move onto more important things like DEATH from crappy health care and KILLING people with our expensive armed services. This is just a shiny red meat issue that keeps the masses distracted.

October 26, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

I'm tired of having the gay community shove their ideals down my throat and telling me that I'm "not with it" if my conservative views don't match theirs. I have as much right to view marriage as between a man and woman as they have to see it otherwise. I and no one else has to bow to their perverted ideas of marriage if we so choose not to do so. This is a free country for me as much as them.

October 26, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

So if you're for equal rights then gays can't get married because....?

October 26, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. John Baker

I grew up in NH decades ago, and I remember that the Union Leader was an absolutely crummy newspaper then and it's even worse now. Just check it out online. Up there, you have to read a Boston or NY newspaper to get anything resembling the news. Really, the Union Leader is a worthless rag!

October 26, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. I mean really

Who cares? I'm sure these guys have plenty of ways to announce their union including their FaceBook pages, other papers, wedding announcements. So some paper won't print their announcement. Big deal.

October 26, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. charles

While I personally disagree with the Union's decision not to post the announcement, it's perfectly within their right to do so. And before any anti-gay marriage advocates misuse my words, the right of free speech and press does not protect them from the powers of the market. If you disagree with their decision, simply refuse to buy their paper. The public's #1 act of free speech: boycott.

October 26, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. dude

if gay couples have a right based on the fact that they are consenting adults then what can we say about incest or polygamy? We really dont have a defense....the consenting adults arguments would also protect them.

October 26, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mythoughts

Why is it that these two men that have opted to become married now have to shove their ideals, values, and beliefs down the throats everyone around them? Why can't they just send out their announcements and be done with it? Do I care that they will be married – NO. Do I care that they want everyone to know about their impending bliss – NO. Do I believe in the paper and what they are doing – YES

October 26, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |