October 25th, 2010

Newspaper won't print gay marriage announcements

Greg Gould and Aurelio Tine say they just wanted to share their wedding plans.

So they went one of the largest papers in New Hampshire, where gay marriage is legal and generally accepted, to work up a wedding announcement.

But the ÔĽŅNew Hampshire Union Leader, the Manchester paper known for its conservative viewpoints, refused to print it, a decision that has sparked anger from the couple and lit up the Twittersphere and the Web.

"I was really disappointed because the Union Leader is a big voice in the state of New Hampshire, and they seem to be so out of touch," Gould told CNN affiliate WMUR-TV in Manchester.

The newspaper, however, issued a statement saying that printing the announcement would be "hypocritical" given its previous practices.

‚ÄúThis newspaper has never published wedding or engagement announcements from homosexual couples," Publisher Joe McQuaid said. "It would be hypocritical of us to do so, given our belief that marriage is and needs to remain a social and civil structure between men and women and our opposition to the recent state law legalizing gay marriage.‚ÄĚ

In its full statement, printed online, the paper said firmly that it is not "anti-gay" and because of press freedoms can choose to print - or not print - whatever it wants.

Still, that move hasn't stopped the matter from becoming a controversy, with Democratic Senate candidate Paul Hodes, making it an election issue as well.

Hodes wrote a letter to the paper that read in part: "Mr. Gould and Mr. Tine will become legally married this weekend and they should have the same opportunities as everyone in New Hampshire to have their marriage publicized and recognized. The Union Leader's disgraceful policy of exclusion harkens to a different time in this country when people were denied opportunity because of their race, religion and ethnic origin."

What do you think? Should the paper give gay couples the same chance to announce their weddings? Or does freedom of the press override that, and allow the newspaper to make the decision it did? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

1. JK

Way to go newspaper

October 25, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cede

Well there are as many opinions as there are fingerprints. Is there another newspaper there that could print the announcement keeping the couples spirit of happiness alive? Then you all can continue your arguments and possible legal actions against the paper...

October 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. know your bible

"quit mixing in company with them (sodomites) if you do not wish to become sharers with them in their sins and in their destruction." That one scripture alone is all I need to know when deciding if I should be politically correct and fashionable by hanging out with gays...or heed God's word. It's a genuine no-brainer. I am amazed at how so-called "christian" religions can't or won't see this.

October 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • cw

@ know you bible,

Yes...all of these so called christian brothers and sisters hide behind that THE BIBLE says don't judge...but they forget that THE BIBLE says to speak the truth....IF THEY READ OR KNEW THE BIBLE THEY WOULD KNOW THAT THEY CAN LIVE IN THE WORLD AND EXPECT THAT THEY ARE LIVING ACCORDING TO GOD'S WORD. Just like the quote...you lay with dogs your going to get fleas...that is the same thing here. I have friends that I will never hang out with again b/c they don't and are not open to turning their lives to God. once again...AMEN...GOOD POST.

October 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. STANDUP FOR THE NORMALACY(MAN&WOMAN=UNO)

WHEN ARE THESE ABNORMAL GAYS INDIVIDUALS ARE GOING TO REALIZED THAT THEY CAN NOT FORCE THEIR ABNORAML BELIEFS IN CIVILIZED SOCIETY. I AM TIRED OF HEARING THESE CRY BABIES CRYING ABOUT SPILLED MILK. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE DON'T TELL DON'T ASK BILL GET PASSED IN CONGRESS!

October 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

ILLITERATE

October 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marco

You can't wait for the DADT bill to pass... in the 1990s?

I can guess the cable channel you get your news from.

October 25, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marco

Oh, and you spelled normalcy abnormally.

October 25, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Heather

The bottom line is this. A newspaper is morally if not legally responsible to report the news without bias. If the newspaper regularly prints marriage notices as news then they cannot discriminate against any one type of legal marriage. Would they turn away a black couple or an interracial couple, or any other couple? If the newspapers editors have an OPINION about gay marriage, they should publish and OP-ED piece declaring their stance, but they can't just choose which news they want to print. That is a very slippery slope to start down. It makes me wonder what other news the paper might choose to print or not based on the editors or owners personal opinions and world views.

October 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

IT'S CALLED FREEDOM OF THE PRESS!! They can do what they want.

October 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomcat

If they want to tell the world about their dirty nasty twisted love for each other they should hang the pervs from a tree with a sign around their necks!!!!

October 25, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

It's very naive to think that any of today's news publications report the news objectively.......they report whatever sells and whatever is sensational.

October 26, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. STANDUP FOR THE NORMALACY(MAN&WOMAN=UNO)

PLEASE! WHAT DOES GAYISM HAVE ANTHING TO DO WITH MORALITY?

October 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sandi

Of course the newspaper SHOULD print the announcement. The State says that it is legal, so the newspaper has its own laws? This newspaper is just portraying and displaying more hate towards a minority.

October 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason in Phx

I can't help but think that if it were a black couple, all hell would have broken loose by now. Oops, I can't say "black."

October 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. phil

Heather...since when has it not been the job of a newspapers editor to decide what does and does not get printed? Like the editor of the old LA Herald Examiner. He decided to print the story of Ronald Reagan having congressman larry McDonald murdered. Of course the FBI shut the paper down, and the editors fled from being arrested. Now you know what happened to one of America's oldest newspapers who printed whatever they wanted to print. They got "Connie Chunged".

October 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Randall Lomax

Way to not bow down Union Leader. Too bad there are not more organization like you. You have every right not to print it.These people need to learn that because they are not normal that we should have to cater to their sickness !!!!

October 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. joe donahue

I do not hate or discriminate against gays, I do disagree with the gay life stile. thay think because you disagree with them, you must hate them which is not the case for most people.

October 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I work, I shop, I pay taxes, I vote. I eat at restaurants once in a while, but mostly cook healthy food for myself at home. I garden, I go to movies and concerts and plays, I get involved in my neighborhood, write checks to support charities, look both ways before crossing the street, and I recycle. I use my turn signal when I drive (but never text while driving, or drive after drinking). I open doors for the elderly, say "thank you" when being served, and salute the flag at parades. I cross my heart during the National Anthem. I like to bowl and watch baseball. I don't play my music so loud it bothers my neighbors, and I never behave drunk and disorderly in public.

I'd bet you $100 that YOUR "lifestyle" is far more offensive than mine, but I don't gamble.

And I NEVER pass judgement on others when I have no clue as to what I'm talking about.

October 25, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

I disagree with the illiterate lifestyle.

s-t-y-l-e

October 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lucy

It is time we the people of this nation stop buckling under pressure, and that's what it is, pressure, by the gays to force the rest of this country to accept and embrace their ways. The normal has become the abnormal, the sin has become the commandment, the christians have become misfits and the abnormal. A people with a seared concious rules our nation, our courts, our lands.

October 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

@Roxanna...if a person is born gay, were they also born with the way gayth thspeak? Or wuth thith way of thpeaking practiced over and over again? Were gays born with limp wrists, or do they choose this gesture? And if being gay is natural, as you claim, why isn't the human anus designed for anal penetration rather than dung removal? lmao...."born gay" is such a crock.

October 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Why are a woman's genitals designed for pi$$ing?

October 25, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marco

I was born gay. I am happy I was. Whatever you were born as would be horrified at what you've become. Sad.

October 25, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

P.S.....if the human species of animals are born gay, then surely there are other animal species born gay. Right? So where are all of the gay animals? Is there a "closet" these born gay animals are in? See how rediculous the idea of one's being born gay is?

October 25, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

What an idiot.

October 25, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gordon

Phil: you babble a lot more than you read, obviously:

October 25, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maty

It's because "gay" animals are only attracted to the stuffed animal versions of themselves. Ain't too many hot pink grizzlies or coyotes in the woods.

October 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason in Phx

Well, Phil, I'm gay and I don't get my morals from the animal kingdom, but if that's where you get yours that explains a lot.

October 25, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • danny

dear phill.. sweetheart.. science has long proven gayness exsists throughout the animal kingdom.. do no think that just because you thought it that it is true.. educate yourself before you make an even bigger fool of yourself

October 25, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. voiceofreason

"The bible says"...yeah well guess what? Not everyone believes in the/your bible. You incessant need to control others via your religious dogma disproves your religion entirely. Obviously religion just isn't "doin it" for you personally, so you feel the need to go after others. Simple bullying.

October 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ron

It is their choice not to print the announcement. It is our choice not to buy their newspaper and for us to encourage every friend we have to also not buy their newspaper. We can even contact EVERY advertiser in their newspaper and encourage them to stop advertising with that newspaper. The nice thing for us is that they can't hide their advertisers. They have to print every single one of them for everyone to see and contact. With no revenue those bigots won't have a job for very long. Hit them where it will do the most damage, their revenue.

October 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |