October 25th, 2010

Newspaper won't print gay marriage announcements

Greg Gould and Aurelio Tine say they just wanted to share their wedding plans.

So they went one of the largest papers in New Hampshire, where gay marriage is legal and generally accepted, to work up a wedding announcement.

But the ÔĽŅNew Hampshire Union Leader, the Manchester paper known for its conservative viewpoints, refused to print it, a decision that has sparked anger from the couple and lit up the Twittersphere and the Web.

"I was really disappointed because the Union Leader is a big voice in the state of New Hampshire, and they seem to be so out of touch," Gould told CNN affiliate WMUR-TV in Manchester.

The newspaper, however, issued a statement saying that printing the announcement would be "hypocritical" given its previous practices.

‚ÄúThis newspaper has never published wedding or engagement announcements from homosexual couples," Publisher Joe McQuaid said. "It would be hypocritical of us to do so, given our belief that marriage is and needs to remain a social and civil structure between men and women and our opposition to the recent state law legalizing gay marriage.‚ÄĚ

In its full statement, printed online, the paper said firmly that it is not "anti-gay" and because of press freedoms can choose to print - or not print - whatever it wants.

Still, that move hasn't stopped the matter from becoming a controversy, with Democratic Senate candidate Paul Hodes, making it an election issue as well.

Hodes wrote a letter to the paper that read in part: "Mr. Gould and Mr. Tine will become legally married this weekend and they should have the same opportunities as everyone in New Hampshire to have their marriage publicized and recognized. The Union Leader's disgraceful policy of exclusion harkens to a different time in this country when people were denied opportunity because of their race, religion and ethnic origin."

What do you think? Should the paper give gay couples the same chance to announce their weddings? Or does freedom of the press override that, and allow the newspaper to make the decision it did? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

1. vbz

The paper isn't owned by the state. It is privately owned and can print whatever it pleases. Most papers are getting out of printing wedding announcements of all kinds anyway. I would never pay some stupid, overpriced paper to announce my wedding.Our "local" paper charges several hundred dollars for that – money better spent on a home or charity. All the people I wanted to know about it would have been invited or sent a personal announcement.

October 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not in Nottingham

Good post.

October 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zac Schneider

Good post. Keeps an eye on what is important, what links us all together: rich idiots announcing their wedding in the paper. This is one ground which we can all agree annoys us. We ALL hate seeing when people decide to waste money to announce their wedding in the paper when really all we were doing was checking the weather and the comcis.

October 26, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cregg

Congrats to the NH paper for standing up for their beliefs and convictions. I only hope they don't bow the pressures of those bent on forcing their views, and trying to force acceptance by those morally opposed to what is personally wrong by them.

So Im guessing a left leaning or Gay backed paper or publication would offer a conservative piece room in their pages.. ummm.. NO.. I didnt think so.

Called freedom of the press.. and whether you agree or disagree, the paper has the right to decide what it will and will not accept as paid announcements, or news.

Again.. KUDOs to the paper for having the guts to stand by its convictions.

October 25, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

This isn't about conservative or liberal. There are plenty of prominent gay conservatives, the group currently challenging the DADT is a gay conservative group. These people just want the same privileges as anyone else. While the newspaper has the right not to print the ads, it doesn't stop it from being wrong.

October 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kay

I agree with you. The newspaper is within its right to refuse to print anything. If you don't agree with the paper don't buy it. Just like TV shows, if you don't like them, change the channel. Do Gays think they are the only ones being denied their rights?. I'm being forced everyday to accept things that are against my beliefs, my morals and my religion, so quit whining.

October 26, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • China Blue

Kay, the only thing you are being "forced" to accept is that these people exist and that they have the same rights as you. If them having the same rights and recognitions as you have upsets your moral apple cart, well – that's really too bad. What kind of morality puts you ahead of another human being anyhow?

October 26, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
    • LAgay

@ michael..keep it in mind that privilege is NOT a right...thus, it'll goes down to the paper's prerogative whether to publish or NOT to publish.

October 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nick in NoVA

One man, one woman.

October 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • danny

one man one woman.. one man one man.. one woman one woman.. get used to it we are not going anywhere!

October 26, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Kage

One man, one woman huh? Ok then, by your standards – all 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Elizabeth Taylors of the world should now be stripped of their marriage legal rights and only be recognized as a domestic partnership.

BAN DIVORCE NOW!

October 26, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jerry

There is no "god" and the sooner you mindless cattle realize this the better this country will be. Seriously it's like talking to adults who still believe there is a santa or an easter bunny. Get real!!

October 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Jerry, you have no special insight that the rest of us lack. I was an atheist for years and years. There's nothing there. Nothing to live for.

Those with faith aren't all dimwits. I buried most of my Ivy league classmates academically. Militant atheists wonder when religion will disappear. If forced to make a choice between religion and science, 90% of the world's population choose to dump science in a heartbeat and the world is then a worse place, and actually less scientific.

October 25, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

So since I have no insight that the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist that means he has to?? Or is it that if 90% of the the worlds population believed he exists than that means he does? What do we do in this country to people that say they hear voices in their head? what HAVE we done to mothers who kill their children and say that "god" told them to do it? I mean who the hell are we to punish them for something that god told them to do?? Why would god NOT tell them to do it? If god is speaking to people why is EVERY word big news on every channel??/ I mean its GOD. Aren't all the believers trying to please him isn't every word he says to ANYONE extremely important?

October 25, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

I would love for there to be a god. But look what humans have done to the one they created. If jesus were alive today we would kill him and we would do it worse than what was done to him back in the day.

October 25, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • peanutman

You got that backwards my friend. The sooner the better people start believing in God the sooner our country turns for the better, you have God's word on that. Most likely the situation in this country is going to get worse. This world is being prepared for the Antichrist he is waiting in the wings. Soon we will have a one world goverment, you can count on that.

October 25, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Generation after generation has said "we livin in our last days". your kids will say it and their kids will say it and their grand kids will say it and so on and so on.

October 25, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

@peanutman ...where is god's word on this? In the bible that was written by MAN? or is he telling you this personally? and if that is the case how long have you been hearing these voices and have you sought help for them?

October 25, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • lorne

Peanutman, you are nuts.

October 26, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • NickO

OK, you have Lady Gaga as your freedom leader,we have a King that died for his servants. Trust me, Lady Gaga wouldn't lay down her life for you, but she would lie down with you in a sickbed for all eternity but then again she is only serving her master. You see you can not believe in God because then you would have to reflect on your life, the things you say in do behind closed doors you would be held accountable too. Trust me you don't have freedom in these things, you are in bondage and don't even see the prison walls that are all around you. I pray that God opens your eyes.

October 26, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Hey Jerry, you know the beautiful thing about God is that each and everyone of us will find out the truth at the moment
      of our death, which is inescapable.........and Jerry you better hope that you are right...........

October 26, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Earthling

Joe – thats actually the worst thing about it. Because when you die you will have no idea how wrong you were. You will be dead, dead, dead.

October 26, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Zac Schneider

After a long time soul-searching (five minutes roughly) I decided that since every religion decided THEY were the ONLY true religion and all others were shams, they were all probably wrong and then I proceeded to continue about my day. No religion here, including die-hard atheism. But funnily enough, I won't be CONVERTED to any religion either, including die-hard atheism. You don't have to hate people because they don't want to see this. I can perfectly understand why people would fight their whole lives just to be able to believe that the world will turn out all right in the end, and that their is an impermanence to your life and soul. I just can't believe that myself. Don't hate others for this. However, organized religions DO tend to be money-grubbing industries that are using the simple faiths of billions of people. As soon as someone decides to lead a prayer AND that money going for a good cause should go through the prayer-leader first, it all goes downhill.

October 26, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Zac Schneider

And yes, I know I used 'their' when I should have used 'there'. So sue me.

October 26, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Uhhh Jerry that is exactly the point i was trying to make......duh

October 26, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Whoops....I meant Earthling that is the point I was trying to make...duh duh

October 26, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jason

Boo hoo! Who really cares?

October 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • dandydonny

Apparently Jerry and Dan.

October 25, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. EF of Syracuse

Newspapers are dying anyhow. Alienating customers will make it happen quicker.

October 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • peanutman

This reply is for Jerry, Yes Jerry we are living in the last days, Jesus gave us signs and the signs are there. read Matthew Chapter 24 and also read Revelations

October 26, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Murray

There is a simple cure. Stop your subscription to the paper, and don't support businesses that advertise with them. The Neanderthals at the paper will change their tune when it starts to hit their bottom line.

October 25, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • dandydonny

It won't

October 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HeatherW

The paper has the right to not publish any announcement they want. Yay for freedom, but...
    Would I ever purchase this paper knowing they feel this way about gay couples? Hell no!

October 25, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. autom

The answer is simple. It's a private paper, so they can print whatever they want. Likewise, people with principles should refuse to purchase the paper, and put them out of business. That's a win-win situation. The only problem, is whether or not there are enough people with principles to put a dent in their bottom line.

October 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dandydonny

Perhaps the people with real principles wouldn't try.

October 25, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fremry

Last time I checked, Jesus was all about "Love they neighbor". Wait no, I'm wrong, he was all about "Judge not lest ye be judged". Wait, crap, I'm wrong again, what he said was "Let he without sin cast the first stone." Man, I'm really bad at this because I really think he was just trying to say, “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)"

So, yeah. Hate gays!!!!!!! Jesus was ALLLLLL about hate!!!!!!

October 26, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • AKC

@Fremy. I always love when anyone, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, agnostic, atheist, etc., tries to pull apart another's belief system without critical thought. You pulled a few verses from the Bible without truly understanding what was being taught. That is no different than when a person pulls a few verses out of the Koran without understanding what was being taught. I personally believe there is a right answer, but I am not going to mock and slander and belittle another when I don't understand them.

October 26, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jason

Huh? People still read newspapers? I'm honestly surprised there are any left!

October 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rude_Animal

Just like any business that can refuse service to a customer, the newspapers have the same right. Plain and simple.

October 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Edwardo69

You don't get AIDS from hetero $ex, you don't get AIDS from Gay $ex...that's right! You get it from UNPROTECTED $ex.

October 25, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brandon

Good for them. I hope they remain strong and do not end up printing it.

October 25, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. wjmknight

There's a New Hampshire? Really? How many people could posisbly live there, a couple dozen? Write about a state where what happens matters...

October 25, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zac Schneider

Just realized that I haven't thought about New Hampshire, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota, and Wyoming in YEARS. Says it all really.

October 26, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tim

I think a boycott of the paper is necessary. Just a 10% reduction in sales will drastically affect them

October 25, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |