October 28th, 2010

'Independents tend to like divided government'

John Avlon, CNN contributor and columnist for the Daily Beast, explains why independent voters are on the rise, why they hold the keys to next week's midterm elections, and why candidates from both parties need to be careful with them.

Filed under: Politics • TV-American Morning • U.S.
  1. osama bin diesel

October 28, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. osama bin diesel

I like a creamy latte

October 28, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. dennish

This is good-it forces the govt to work together or NOTHING gets done! I like it!

October 28, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. J McElwain

I never understood this line of reasoning – it suggests that the voters in question have no clear idea of what direction they want the country to go, they simply want to stay "safe" – whatever that means. It is a formula for getting nothing done, in my view.

October 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. WhiteKong78

I'm an independent. My view is that nothing gets done because of the far left and far right's influence on candidates that are supposed to represent everyone. The independent voting block is larger than either partisan voting block yet we are forced to pick the lesser of two evils every election. I don't mind having two parties having different philosophies, but these guys act like children. Ideally I'd like to see some compromise instead of backstabbing. I do not like the division especially when congress' job is so important. I do support having a third primary set up so independents can have a real voice in our government.

October 28, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WhiteKong78

Conservatives and Liberals need to wise up and see that they are never going to succeed in making America their version of "perfect". The end result in either party gaining total control would be national socialism or a version of communism where the people no longer have a choice. The fact is that there are some good liberal ideas and some good conservative ideas. Independents are the ones in the middle who can see that both philosophies are not perfect.

October 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |