October 28th, 2010

Ozzy Osbourne on genome testing, Neanderthal lineage

In July, rocker Ozzy Osbourne became one of few to submit his blood to have his full genome sequenced and analyzed.

The results are in, and it turns out his genome reveals some Neanderthal lineage, according to Scientific American.

Osbourne and his wife, Sharon, are expected to discuss the testing and its results Friday at the TEDMED 2010 scientific conference in San Diego, California.

In a Sunday Times of London column (registration required), the former Black Sabbath front man said he was reluctant to submitting to the test at first. He eventually gave in to his curiosity over how he had managed to survive years of hard living and substance abuse.

"Given the swimming pools of booze I've guzzled over the years—not to mention all of the cocaine, morphine, sleeping pills, cough syrup, LSD, Rohypnol... there's really no plausible medical reason why I should still be alive," he wrote.

"Maybe my DNA could say why."

Post by:
Filed under: Science • Showbiz
  1. richard

ozzy is the god father of all metal, and as for tommy up there learn how to spell ozzy first befor you put him down. O Z Z Y not like you have never seen it befor. geeeez

October 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Ozzy is so funny.. I read his book, "I am Ozzy" last week. I never laughed so hard. Yes their are some sick parts with animals that he says he is really sorry about, but if you can get past that, the book is freaking hilarious. The guy was stoned/drunk out his mind for somewhere around 35 years straight for the most part. The story of his life is crazy..

October 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CeeCee

Hmmm, I thought that they have never proven that humans and Neanderthals actually mated and produced offspring.

October 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Q

Earlier studies using mitochondrial DNA suggested no interbreeding, however, analysis of the neanderthal genome indicates ~1-4% of non-African genomes is comprised of neanderthal DNA (i.e. these neanderthal sequences weren't found in two distinct African samples but were found in samples from France, China and Papua New Guinea). The shared DNA in combination with regional discrepancies is strong evidence for at least some gene flow between the two species occurring after both had left Africa.

October 28, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh!!?

Hey...Q...stop cutting and pasting from Wikipedia and form your own original thought.

October 29, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Karl

Tommy, I don't believe you're 7yo. That was one of the more clever posts I've seen in a while. Kudos. I wasn't an Ozzy O. fan growing up but now I think his music is pretty awesome.

October 28, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Michelle

@ Chris: Excellent observation!
    Maybe next they can test Keith Richards DNA?

October 28, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Karen Arms_so_strong

Europeans, Middle Easterners, Indians all have neanderthal DNA as they're all Caucasoid – it's already been said by scientists, so why the surprise?

October 28, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

Awesome! Ozzy's caveman DNA is keeping him alive!

October 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. merle

Hey now Willie has smoked more weed in his day that he goes duck hunting with a rake!

October 28, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shawn

the OZ the OZZY MR.ozzy OZBORN ... I totally love this guy and his wife Sharon. he is a tremendously loving husband and a good dad . he was so scared when Sharon had cancer who is now in remission and he treats her like a queen. They are in-love with each other totally. I have been listening to this guy forever .. I am now 52 years old and the music that was writen by his group /him and sung by him are still sung by many groups today. The guy is a Icon.
    and yes .. Big guy who is fuzzy .. is most probably his cousin.. lololoololololololol yayayay TO THE OSBORNS!!

October 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wzrd1

Well, it DOES explain a lot about Ozzy, the missing link.

October 29, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

Ooga booga! Me Ozzy you Sharon!

October 29, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. joeschmoe

He's still working is what keeps him alive.

October 29, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. donna

I'm Donna. I'm only six years old. As sophisticated as the latest DNA technology sounds, I must admit to myself a bit of reserve before allowing myself to share Ozzy's enthusiasm. Whilst most of humanity is busy developing the means to cure our latest malady, Ozzy is only concerned about himself, and in his own humorous, albeit detached way, he celebrates the very drug use that almost killed him. He certainly is no role model, at least for my young eyes. Therefore, I have concluded that I will remain contented with my breakfast cereals and Tom&Jerry Saturday Morning Cartoons.

October 29, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • necromancerOzzyFan

nobody cares about what you think. if you not with us Ozzy peoples, then you our enemy.

October 29, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • DONNALUVA

Donna - I'm only 5–would you consider doing a younger man!!!

October 29, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

I think if it's looked into further, we'll find that MOST people of Northern European decent will show traces of Neanderthal lineage.

October 29, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. InkSmith

Ozzy has always been a great musician. It makes sense tho, that somehow he has a genetic ability to handle all of the drugs he's consumed over 40+ years.

October 29, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |