October 28th, 2010

World's longest snake dies

Fluffy, at 24 feet, was recognized by Guinness World Records as the world's longest snake.

The world's longest snake - at 24 feet and 300 pounds - has died at a zoo in Ohio.

Fluffy, a reticulated python recognized by Guinness World Records as the world's longest snake, died Tuesday night. A necropsy found a tumor on her ovary, according to a press release from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium.

"She was greatly loved here by the staff, mainly because she was a gentle snake," zoo spokeswoman Carrie Pratt told CNN affiliate WBNS-TV.

Fluffy was 18 years old and had lived since 2007 at the Columbus Zoo, which had built a special habitat for her.

Reticulated pythons are nonvenomous constrictors found in tropical forests in Southeast Asia, according to the zoo's website. They are the world's longest snakes, averaging 10 to 20 feet in length. They live on small mammals like rodents but sometimes eat wild pigs, deer and primates.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Ohio • U.S.
  1. Jeff

Some need to be educated about snakes instead of feeding the hysteria, feel for fluffy's human family and friends. I know what it's like. Have lost a snake or two in my time. One to a probable tumur such as in Fluffy's case. Non herpers see no problem with getting attached to a dog or cat but some cant seem to understand how you could feel the same about a snake. Easy, same way it happened with your dog or cat. Hours turn into days, days to weeks, weeks to monthes, monthes to years of interaction. They become part of the family and then something happens and their gone.

October 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bozo

Look – it's holding a cell phone!

October 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anonymous

No it didn't die CNN...George Bush is still alive. Come on now, stop making stuff up. (lol).

October 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TrudyBird

I think as some people mature, they can see the significance in this animal being the largest known of it's kind in captivity. Imagine being cared for, fed and nutured for all those years by professional caretakers so that thousands of children and adults alike could view this extraordinary animal. It's so easy to write without any thought or consideration some of the callous comments people make. I'm not a tree hugger, or a save-the-planet person... I just look at the picture a little longer before I allow my anonymous fingers to start typing careless words. Words matter to me. People matter to me and whatever we say, either in forums or verbally to another person... just might make a difference in how we look at the larger picture life presents us. I truly appreciate reading some of the heartfelt comments. For the negative comments... well... that's your right. It does make me wonder where humanity is going. Fluffy... what a great name for a big, old snake.

October 28, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mommacat

I couldn't agree more with you. It's so sad to read comments on an article that is printed for those that DO care about the death of this snake, whether they are a snake lover or a parent of children that enjoyed the exhibit or just a HUMAN with a heart. Nobody forces anyone to read articles of no interests to them therefore why bother with negative heartless comments? My opinion (which I also have a right to give) is these people with their callous remarks have no life, nothing better to do and are miserable in their own lives so they feel the need to share their misery with others who aren't. I am a parent and my children loved going to see "Fluffy" I myself, am not a snake fan however my heart goes out to those who are and had some connection to Fluffy. Those who say "good riddance" and "can't wait for belts and boots" etc. shame on
      you! You have a very sad life and I truly feel sorry for you.

October 31, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mclark

Thanks Fluffy for given us something else to talk about today besides the Dems and the Reps. R I P

October 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. i rock you dont

Its a snake thats it! no rip no boohoo! oh look i have a purple bug on my windshield should i call cnn? Jayzuz people you are simpletons

October 28, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shane from Columbus

This is sad I was just at the zoo on Sunday and saw her she was up at the glass looking at everyone. R.i.p. fluffy

October 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sam

Was Fluffy as long as this snake? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFecQtHsZM8

October 29, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. REB

Reminds me of the Burmese Python I kept for over 20 years, raised her from a hatchling strarting when I was 10 years old. She was a great pet and I learned much about snake behavior while observing her through the years. I still keep reptiles as a hobby but she was my last "pet" snake. It is hard for people that haven't kept these animals to truly appreciate what they are all about, I hope at a minimum humanity will learn to share this tiny planet with all species and collective committ to make the changes needed to do it. Let's start with a committment to ZPG.

October 29, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |