October 30th, 2010

Four dead after Antarctic copter crash

Four French nationals aboard a helicopter that crashed in Antarctica did not survive, rescuers said Saturday.

The helicopter went missing on Thursday evening.

French and Australian crews are conducting recovery operations, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said in a statement.

The victims were found after a helicopter with a doctor flew from a base in Antarctica to the scene of the crash.

Once recovery operations are complete, coordination will be handed over to French authorities, the statement said.

Post by:
Filed under: France • World
  1. suma

Business Cash Advances Should You Get One ?
    Business cash loans is another option and many businesses opt for these quick and easy loans just to help steer them into the clear. The problem is that cash loans tend to be extremely expensive and unless your business fires back up you can be left with some serious debt to cover. It also comes with heavy monthly repayments that you have to be able to keep up with.

October 30, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sam

need money but cannot pay it back because people are borrowing from me so they can eat!

October 30, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. phil

The French were trying to cash in on Australians spending billions on sunburn screen. Antarcticas Mt. Erubus is singlehandedly responsible for the giant hole in our ozone layer that allows Australians exta UV exposure. (and also allows the rest of mankind to survive...without UV light everything would die) If the French could divert this hole over France, they could burn protestors and then sell them spf25.

October 30, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim Brieske

phil. Maybe because I awoke with a severe headche I am not in the mood for humor but this is sad phil. Four scientists have more than likely been killed. Who knows what they discovered up there?
    According to Hollywood and fiction writers, it could be information regarding a underground treasure trove of gold the size of 3 football stadiums or a UFO spaceship base beneath the ice.
    Unless they were French tourists lost, unable to speak Antartican they mistakenly asked for directions. Were directed toward a white out.
    The investigation will clear it all up.
    jim

October 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomcat

Jimbo are you sure you don't touch the booze??? Maybe a little hard cider???? It would certainly explain your headache (yes Jimbo there's an A in headache) and all your rambling that you post!!!! You would think that someone who jumps on everyone else for their spelling errors, would at least make sure they knew how to spell??????!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Brieske

Humor aside. My condolences to their families. I promise they are in Heaven. God is the best comedian in existence, so they are in a wonderful place. If God has perfect humor then everything else must be perfection and that would make Heaven absolutely wonderful.
    Get past missing them and look toward to being with them again one day.
    jim

October 30, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim Brieske

I have to go. I do love the French people though I disagree with their strike position and not standing up to Hitler's soldiers.
    One day as I was walking to in Paris to meet a french friend at a cafe, this old woman walking toward me on the other of the street looked over at me and started freaking out. She kept yelling the same words over and over again.
    I asked my friend what the words meant. He said, she thought I was a Gestapo Colonel that had returned. I said, oh.
    Never let the enemy conquer you if they intend to harm your women. If their cause is just then enable them to defeat those who rule over you and establish a new government.
    Gotta go.
    jim

October 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Brieske

Sorry I had a brain fart!!!!! I meant to say.......I have to go poop.

October 30, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

Jim you are a gross pig!!!! People like you should be band from posting on here!!!!

October 31, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Ms. Morgan

@Jim you are a pathetic little man!!! There's no need for a person to tell the world that they "have to poop" unless you're a four year old or an adult perv!! Jim which one are you???

October 31, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

It is early in the "season" down in Antarctica (not up). The chopper pilots may have not been as aclimated to flying in an all white environment as they would be with more stick hours. It is a shame, but not a year went by during the three that I was there when we didn't lose someone. I am no scientist (nor is I suspect the individual who posted that Mt. Erebus is responsible for the ozone hole; but I appreciate the irony of the "man is destroying the environment" crowd accepting that a volcano can be blamed and there is nobody they can sue.

October 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lisababy

My thoughts and prayers are with the familys and friends RIP

October 30, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. osiris zapata

rest in pieces my dear scientists...haha

October 31, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lisababy

Jim i definitly appreciate your positive feedback as for osiris zapata does your mommy know your texting with adults GROW UP you sound quite immature and somewhat evil and you dont seem to grasp the gravity of the story people died not even a little funny

October 31, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Beavis

Whats wrong with saying i gotta go poop? no dif. than saying go to bathroom? just shorter? you guys that make a big deal out of it need to grow up! i wonder what happend on that copter?

October 31, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |