October 30th, 2010

Insanely Sane: Humor brought everyone together

Okay, there’s no way to write this article without name dropping. To cut to the chase, I know Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and you don’t.

I used to work for The Daily Show and the Colbert Report as the audience warm up act.  Not a bad day job.
But knowing the hosts didn’t mean I got to parade on stage at Saturday’s “Rally for Sanity and/or Fear.” I was in the audience with the thousands of fans, reporting on the events for CNN.

But the audience was where the real spectacle unfolded this weekend.
In a lot of ways, the people congregating on the Mall looked just like the people I used to perform for at "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report".  Black, white, Hispanic, old,  young - every race, every ethnicity, and every age group was represented in the sea of fans.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Jon Stewart • Stephen Colbert
  1. phil

@Lisababy....I hate to be the one to break this to you, but "karma" determines what happens to you in your next life, not this one.

October 31, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lisababy

Exactly Phil! now you got it! How old are you?

October 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lisababy

Do you realize that you are almost consistantly one of the most negative pessamistic nit picky people on here just a little tip try to be more positive if not for then for yourself

October 31, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stick dog

I like the concept behind this rally – personaly l was so sick of those tea nuts and Republicans. They're evil – selfish – arrogant. They won't to do away with Social Security – Medi-Care – Health Care. We are still the only country on Earth without Even basi health care – that's unbelievable. Kudos to Jon Stewart, you were heard loud and clear.

October 31, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. me!

There was NOT a single sign at Beck's rally. That was EXACTLY my point. BUYMY:You are obviously not checking for urself-stop relying on the media talking points and make your own decisions. There are "nuts" on BOTH sides of the aisle! We would ALL be wise not to get caught up in all the divisions!

October 31, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. stick dog

It was drilled in my head from day 1 – respect the flag- love your country – back your President. Very, very simple.

October 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. me!

I agree, but based on what u just said about "tea nuts" and republicans, I wonder if u will do it if republicans come into office? I respect the President, but I disagree with his policies. Believe me, republicans DO NOT want to end SS or Medicare but they must be reformed or they wont be here for everyone-that is simple mathematical fact. Please STOP listening to all the talking heads and check for yourself!

October 31, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ang

This is life, we all have different opinions, we can't agree on everything, but this is not a way to move forward, and it's not doing any good to this country, which, we all love, hate is something that won't take any of us no where...and something that started all of this in the first place.

October 31, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ang

This is life, we all have different opinions, we can't agree on everything, but this is not a way to move forward, and it's not doing any good to this country, hate is something that won't take any of us no where...and something that started all of this in the first place.

October 31, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sj

the gathering by the 'double standard' partyof dems went just as planned. demanding everyone to 'support the dude prez' after 8 years of Bush bashing makes me sick. vote dem was the demand, destroy America is the result.
    The new party is the parTEA. live with it.

October 31, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sane individual

The numbers tell the story: 215,000 choose Stewart/Colbert sanity and 89,000 choose Beck insanity!

October 31, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mano

Everyone wants Utopia, they just differ on how to get there and who does the work. The problem is that Utopia is impossible so all of the effort is futile. That leaves power. How they all seek it and at who's expense? It matters not who is "in charge", it is the common citizen that loses either way.

November 1, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. sj

1 day to the final countdown.
    goodbye dems majority.

November 1, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lisababy

Patriotism is whats missing these days instead of a bunch of hidden agendas btw republicans are not for the low/no income they are for the wealthy so unless your big money/business they arent working for you rich get richer poor can go scratch sorry but thats the agenda of the republicans and you all know it

November 1, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. sj

beck got more followers and ultimtly many more $millions, stewart is still a moron comedian. who really won?

November 1, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |