October 31st, 2010

JFK speechwriter Theodore Sorensen dies

Theodore C. Sorensen, a close adviser and speechwriter to President John F. Kennedy, has died, the White House said Sunday. He was 82.

Though he wore a number of hats in his relationship with Kennedy and later in life, he is best known publicly as the wordsmith who helped put Kennedy's ideas to paper in what remain some of the most recognizable speeches in American political history.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Obituary • Politics
  1. phildo

So how did Lee Harvey Oswald get hired at the book repository before JFK knew his destination was Dallas?

October 31, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. merle

@phildo cant let it go after 47 years give it a rest. Wait there was Roswell the moon launches area 51 heck what about Lincoln? Where does it stop? This is to commend one of the best writers a President has ever had

November 1, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jim Brieske

Actually they are connected merle. Because that was the date (almost 47 years ago) the deceased speech writer quit writing for President Kennedy.
    That event involving the book respository, Oswald, Judith, Sam the mob guy, Frank Sinatra and his crew, Castro stealing all the hotels and casinos, Johnson hating the Kennedys, Marilyn sleeping with both John and Robert, The Bay of Pigs fiasco where Kennedy let 1500 of his cuban fighters get slaughtered, the naval blockade, the nuke standoff with the Russians and years of kids participating in nuclear attack drills at school.
    That was Kennedy and it wasn't camelot. It was an egomaniac who almost got most everyone killed except him, his family and the others he would have gotten to an underground bunker. Who killed him? Maybe they all did.
    That's what Jackie believed. She didn't know! Look who she went with. Some fat foreign guy with alot of money and alot of security.
    jim

November 1, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. phil

@Merle I won't "let it go" because the truth is very important and all the more so when the lie does little but insult the thinking-man's intelligence. That and give the non-thinker an easy excuse to remain ignorant. Plus future classroom history books should be more accurate than the current ones. And with modern technology, that shouldn't be a problem. Merle, would you rather history books recorded that we just "let it go"? And thanx for your recollections Jim. (you old fart) smiley face @ Jim

November 1, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. phil

@Jim...you didn't mention the millions of dollars wasted building bomb shelters back then. I'd wager more money was spent on duct-tape after 9/11 though.

November 1, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. merle

@jim and phil. Gentleman I want to thank you bnth fnr schooling me. After writing what I did I realized what a hypcrate I was. I lost a friend on 9-11 who was with FDNY. I want to know the real story.

November 1, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. merle

@jim and phil. Gentleman I want to thank you both for schooling me. After writing what I did I realized what a hypocrate I was. I lost a friend on 9-11 who was with FDNY. I want to know the real story.

November 1, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. T-2000

Rumor has it that Oswald read A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN the day before he wacked Kennedy.

November 1, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. T-2000

This guy I know, knew a guy whose brother's uncle worked in the CIA. That's how I found out about Oswald. Small freakin world aint it?

November 1, 2010 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. T-2000

Here's an interesting fact that only a select few know about me. I'm related to ... wait for it. Oswald....just kidding! But seriously folks I am related to Dustin Diamond. He was Screech on Saved By The Bell. He's my third cousin on my mother's side of the family. Like I said, small freakin world..

November 1, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. T-2000

By the way if you haven't figured it out by now....NONE OF WHAT I SAID IS TRUE!!! I just wanted you "crazy, everything is a CONSPIRACY" idiots to see how stupid you sound to sane people. Do you really think you have information that the goverment doesnt already know about?? Get outta here!! All of you can take your crazy "Back and to the left" theory's and stuff it!

November 1, 2010 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. T-2000

I miss Joe Piscapo.

November 1, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. armrn

Just a small clarification: it's book depository not repository.

November 1, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. Stephen Real

Marcus Tullius Cicero – “Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country.”

November 1, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • French Guy

@T2000 aka Avon Barksdale : Please, do something for your country : leave it!
      OK, sorry, it's just a joke, your comments are kind of funny, but I think you're really wrong. LHO didn't kill JFK. Regards. Guy

November 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |