October 31st, 2010

Kentucky teen crowned Miss World

Alexandria Mills waves after her win.

An American teenager is now Miss World 2010. Alexandria Mills, 18, is from Louisville, Kentucky. She won the international pageant Saturday in Sanya, China.

"It's a cliche but this really is a dream come true," she said, crying. "I can't believe it's happening ot me. My time has come. I'm loving it!"

Mills beat out 115 other young women in the 60th annual competition. As the final duty in her reign, Miss World 2009 Kaiane Aldorino of Gibraltar removed the multi-colored crown from her head and gently placed it on Mills. The first runner-up was from Botswana, the second runner-up was from Venezuela.

Post by:
Filed under: Kentucky
  1. RaleighMatrix

Congratulations, Miss Kentucky! Now, Miss World! Yeah, U.S.A. ! ! !

October 31, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
    • papia

Congratulations to this very pretty girl. What about one like that for men? As a woman I value brains way over looks but it is nice to see the display of intelligent pretty looking girls from all over the world instead of seeing women wrapped up in black garbage bags or women trying to compete to reach 500Lbs. Once one girl told me she hid herself under the garbage bag robes because she was told all nice looking precious gems were to be hidden. Unfortunately she doesn't realize that all the precious gems are on display in the museums etc. for the whole world to see and we hide ugly things in garbage bags. It's time for these women to throw out the black trash bags off their face.

October 31, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Mother

Wow! I read such hateful things on here. Just be happy for this young lady and her family. My mother always taught me, "if you don't have something nice to say....don't say anything at all." Best of Luck Miss Kentucky!

October 31, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • mapia

and you're breathing garbage, you must be in that bag.

November 1, 2010 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. SayWhat?

another useless competetion!!

October 31, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • VW

you make another useless post

October 31, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • catatemyhomework

That is YOUR opinion;which is just AN opinion.

It certainly is not THE opinion.

October 31, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • kite005

Yeah it is kind of meaningless in a way but it's a special thing for her and even though I don't know her I'm glad for her. I think one should always enjoy it when another is having fun.

October 31, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • zehydra

I totally agree

October 31, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon KIng

I have to agree, I don't get any of these contests. I can't count how many 45 year old overweight housewives I meet who say they were once Ms. This or Ms. That.

October 31, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

The mothers of these girls are starved for attention long before the day they enter their daughter in her first pageant.

October 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

So, you are telling me a teenager from Kentucky who aspires to be a school teacher is the most important young female in the world? FAIL!! Grow some purpose behind your rich family and soon to be husband and maybe this won't be the 'highlight' of your life 'most un-original person in the universe.'

October 31, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

Odd, she seems to have reached out and touched your life.

October 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • brown

More wag, less bark!

October 31, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

So this young lady get an opportunity to represent her community and become an ambassador to the USA and this is useless? What rock did you grow up under?

October 31, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

Not rocks or dogs here.....just someone who prefers a 'US ambassador" to atleast be a higher educated person. Excuse me for thinking there are more deserving people in the entire universe than a 'cookie cutter' suburbia teenager.

October 31, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • KevyKev

Enjoy life, whatever it brings, whether it brings something to you, or to someone else. Don't get all upset because you've never done anything worthy of CNN.COM. Go out and achieve something and we'll see you on CNN.com next!

October 31, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Bitter women make the world grind round.

October 31, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ROBIN (CW3)

Congratulation Miss World. You made your state and country proud. Good Luck in Life:)

October 31, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • DS

Thanks for a reasonable response to what should be a relatively benign story. Getting seriously upset over a teen girl winning a beauty pageant is sad in so many ways. Good for her.

October 31, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mano

Many will slam this article, the pageant, and the whole concept of "women on parade". However, it is one of the rare times in which the whole world can participate in a celebration of what good there is in humanity. It harms no one, participation is voluntary, and it portrays the beauty that can be found in the human experience.

October 31, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • VW

very well put...........

October 31, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • TOM

Look, there is at least one other rational, sane person on the planet !! Well spoken, could not have said it better myself!

October 31, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • marianna68

MANO...I COMPLETELY agree!

October 31, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • JeffB

Sorry but I don't buy that this contest "brings the world together" nor that it is harmless. It's REALLY sad that in 2010 we are still having contests based on how "pretty" someone is. And don't try to tell me that beauty isn't the main criteria because IT IS (you see any unattractive, overweight or even average weight women in the contest?). Its just part of the brainwashing of little girls as they grow up that beauty is more important than anything else. Why aren't there well know beauty contests for men? Because beauty isn't considered "important" for men while it is considered almost everything for a woman. It just shows that we still haven't evolved as a culture very far from when we were still living in caves. People don't question anything but just follow the herd.

Okay now go ahead and respond to my comment about how I'm taking this too seriously or with some ad hominem attacks. Don't actually try and address any of my arguments...

October 31, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Nimrod

O.K. Jeff B. Nothing ad hominem here. As a terrestrial ecologist, I'll try to address the question from a slightly different direction. First, although we don't have large well publicized male beauty contests, if you have ever listened to women, you will know that physical attributes are important to them also. Women tend to like tall, fit men with clear eyes and good smiles (good teeth) and regular features. All are indications of good genes that lead to good health and an ability to create healthy offspring and provide for the family. Men tend to prefer many of the same characteristics in women probably for the same evolutionary reasons. Female beauty tends to consist of regular facial features, large, bright eyes, good smile, healthy hair, enough curves to indicate childbearing ability, clear, smooth skin, etc. Again all outward indicators of favorable genes and good health. Although weight and amount of curve preference varies culturally and temporally the other factors are pretty constant, just look at ancient greek sculpture or other art forms.

October 31, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • addressing comments

what world are you from?

sad that we are giving value to beauty? we do, that is life, don't think the rest of the world should should follow your PC footsteps, we as humans value beauty, we choose things based off our wants, find our mates etc.

does this effect girls? maybe, maybe they want to anyway? do you have children? if you do then you know some of this comes pre-wired... no I don't buy that nature vs. nuture argument... I think there are REAL differences in how children act (boys v. girls)

what planet are you from... how repressed are you? not trying to attact you, but you seemed very interested in making the world fit into some idea you have... NOW THAT IS SAD

October 31, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Lindsay

Jeff B's daughters must be ugly.

Our family is comprised of people of all shapes, sizes, and nationalities. My 5 boys are drown to skinny, but yet curvy white women with blond hair and blue eyes. None of us in our family are blond/blue. I think a lot of these things are hard wired. I also don't think we should be celebrating unhealthy eating habits and putting overweight or obese people on a pedestal. Maybe us and our children are hardwired to know that fat = unhealthy and that is why a lot of us are drawn to people that are healthy LOOKING.

October 31, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • JeffB

"Addressing comments" and "Lindsey", thanks for proving my point with your ad hominem attacks.

October 31, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • and you proved your own point Jeff

you have said nothing for the arguments we put forth... and they weren't attacks, you are repressed

October 31, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geo

JeffB, it is what it is. That's life my man. I agree that we are saying to girls that being pretty is important, but guess what, throughout history, throughout the world, it is. Should we have contests for it? Maybe not. But why is it that "the most eligible bachelors" are rich? Are we telling boys that you cannot get a good women if you're poor? You bet. Is that right? It may not be right, but it is the way it is..

October 31, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kirsten

Lindsay – "JeffB's daughters must be ugly." You are an ass. And you completely negated any cogent comments you might have made with that statement. Hope you don't have kids.
      Fact is – beauty is valued in women and prosperity in men. It is what it is. It's starting to 'even' out a bit in this culture (for good or bad)- i.e. men are becoming more consumed with being 'beautiful' and women more consumed with achieving material success – but whether you like it or not that's the state we're in. If you raise children with a value system – hopefully you can mitigate some of the cultural norms. Oh – and before you bash me as 'overweight or unattractive' – I'm neither.

October 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kirsten

Oh...just saw that Lindsay does have kids. So sad.

October 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Re: Nimrod

You are WAY outdated and wrong in some areas. How is having a nice smile an indication he has good genes? It means he has money, that's all.

And if we are having contests to see who is most fit to bear our children, maybe they should have a gyno exam live on TV too? Or maybe the women should have to cook and clean.

October 31, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOBBI KINNEY

Mano, thank you for the wonderful comments! We try, as teachers, every day to get this concept across! I have several in my Jr.High and High School classes that do compete! We have taken once shy girls, and offered them an opportunity to be strong women! Their grades are exceeding and their speaking abilities before large audiences is remarkable! Learning to get along with others is another big part of this learning process. They also can use this experience on their resumes for college and jobs in the future! Are they all DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, no they are not! But the effects of the experience, make them so! They know the hard work that it takes to get anything finished in this life! They are not the WHINEY teenagers we so often encounter! It builds character, just like my students in sports and music! I encourage their abilities every day! I expect those who have never been in a pageant, sports or the arts have no concept of how hard this is for our young ones. They are trying to deal with PEER PRESSURE while trying to accomplish something beneficial. So, let's not be so judgemental! Maybe those who are putting the pageants down would prefer that these girls would be in my AFTER SCHOOL DETENTION each and every day like so many of my other students! YOU KNOW, THE ONES WHO BULLY, BEAT UP OTHER STUDENTS AND BRING WEAPONS TO SCHOOL? Thanks again, Mano!

October 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • papia

As a woman I always think brain power is way superior than just looks. However, it is nice to see the display of intelligent pretty looking girls from all over the world instead of seeing women wrapped up in black garbage bags or women trying to compete to reach 500Lbs. It will be nice to see a parade of un-pumped intelligent handsome guys from all over the world.

October 31, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I think instead of having a contest where women are valued on their appearance, we should make them fight wild badgers. Everyone would be happy!

October 31, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • fighting badgers

I think there would be blood involved, certainly would change the M. World into a different contest

October 31, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Debra

Finally–something beautifully positive to read about. Congrats Miss World!! Enjoy your reign...and I hope you spread a little kindness in the world–it really needs it!

October 31, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Chopswell

I don't think she's allowed to 'spread' until after her reign is over....

October 31, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gilbert

She's ok, but Miss World? No, I don't think so.

October 31, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Joy

And how would you know??? Were you there to judge the contest?

October 31, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • BOBBI KINNEY

You are correct, Joy! Gilbert, read my reply to Mano! THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER, EVER HEAR OF THAT?

October 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jared

I love the comment trolls that have nothing better to do than ridicule this article and young lady. Lighten up folks!

October 31, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • DS

The interesting thing is some of these people have been "acting" the bitter troll for so long they've become it and aren't aware. To them I say keep up your outrage, try to undermine everything and everyone even slightly positive. Your premature deaths due to stress will give us something to laugh about.

October 31, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

She is kinda ugly.

October 31, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • MOBADTHANGOOD

Lets see a picture of you, zit face.

October 31, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Joy

You've got to be kidding! How stupid and blind are you?

October 31, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Wrecks

You must be ugly....lol

October 31, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • bonnie

Your right!! anyone who thinks this young lady is NOT attractive wouln't be capable of having beauty in thier life!

October 31, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Harry

My dog won 'Best in Show.' He's also not going to end hunger or bring peace to the world.

October 31, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • AShinyObject

Ooh, I like dogs.

October 31, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • DO'

he may not end world hunger, but he probably adds some light to the world, doesn't he?

October 31, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. althea

Be nice, she all naturale.............

October 31, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Amanda

You people who leave negative comments are pathic!!! If you don't like it simply dont read the article!

October 31, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Chopswell

Would "pathetic" be a better choice of word here?

October 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOBBI KINNEY

THANK YOU, AMANDA!

October 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tetley Redrose

Congratulations! She won despite her dyslexia. "I can't believe it's happening ot me. My time has come. I'm loving it!"

October 31, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Bemused

LOL @ dyslexia being something you overcome to win a beauty pageant.

October 31, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • AShinyObject

The editing on this site is so bad that I've stopped noticing when they make typos.

October 31, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOBBI KINNEY

I am positive that you know our PRIZE WINNING MEDIA wrote this article,right?

October 31, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Olalekan

Well she is good,but miss botswana deserves d crown

October 31, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. joe

What is worldly about this 18 year old american?

Nothing.

October 31, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Seedenbetter

And you know this how? You're just jealous because you're some 48 year old loser still living in the basement of your parent's house and never had a date before.

October 31, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Joy

Ok now I get it. You're not American, are you?

October 31, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • AShinyObject

It's not called the Miss Worldly pageant. It's called Miss World. I think Kentucky is technically in the world. So it seems legit.

October 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • coll

You don't like Americans, do you, "joe"....jealous.....?? Disappointed the smelly girl from your hot, wrecked up little country didn't win? Keep trying! Maybe you should enter!

October 31, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOBBI KINNEY

Joe, I have several first and second year teachers on my staff who have been traveling the world since they were small! I only wish I could have gone to half of the places they have been! The point is that she is representing the world as an ambassador and will learn much! :)

October 31, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |