November 5th, 2010

Photo of preschool boy dressed as Daphne goes viral

Sarah's 5-year-old wanted to dress as Daphne from "Scooby-Doo" for Halloween this year.

The only problem?

Her preschooler is a boy.

When Sarah's son showed up at a preschool Halloween party dressed in a purple mini dress and red wig, the kids had no problem, but the moms weren't so thrilled.

Sarah, the Missouri mom, took to her blog "Nerdy Apple Bottoms": "My son is gay. Or he's not. I don't care," she posted. It got more than a million hits and 15,000 comments in two days.

Friday on CNN's "American Morning," Sarah tells Kiran Chetry what happened at the Halloween party.  Dr. Jeff Gardere, clinical psychologist, weighs in and addresses whether sexual identity is a factor here.

Filed under: TV-American Morning
  1. kim

These such a thing as never existed not real not flesh or blood ink characters works of the imagination....come on be serious its a cartoon.

November 6, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. River Wolfe

in my opinion, this story misses the entire point. Why is it ok for a girl to dress as batman, superman, cowboy or other male identified characters, but not ok for a boy to dress as a girl character?

November 6, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Karen

Sometimes the honest truth hurts. I also agree with the doctor that the mother could have easily written her blog without including the photo.

November 6, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karen

I also thought that the mother starting off her blog with 'My Son Is Gay' was very uncaring, especially when adding the photo of the child.

November 6, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Paul, Seattle

The mom is phenomenal. She gives her son support, unconditional love and the space to explore all the facets that life offers. That kid will turn out just fine. On the other hand, that so-called "expert doctor" is a maroon.

November 7, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Totoro0101

Ridiculous! I remember my grandfather getting together with his buddies and all dressing as women for Halloween (scary looking women to be sure!). All through school the guys dressed as girls and vice versa. This is a little unusual as he's 5 but I was a cowboy one year around that age and no-one thought anything of a little girl dressing as a guy, they just gave me candy and sent me on my way! People who are having a fit about this are going to give the poor kid a complex, I really do think that society has become too - what is the word I am looking for... polarized? intolerant?? absurd???

November 7, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. jen, Massachusetts

Did Dr. Jeff Gardere really just say learning that your child is gay is "the worst nightmare imagineable" for a parent. Tell that to a parent with a child with cancer, or AIDS, or Autism, or adbducted, or abused... The list of nightmares goes on and on and on, and I assure you, "gay" isn't on it .

November 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Fabium

Wow! When I was in 4th grade me and a bunch of my friends dressed up as women from the cartoon show "GEM". So I guess that makes me gay and my mother guilty of bad judgement as well. By the way I'm grown and married now to a woman and very much straight! The things people blow up about now or days! Let the kid be a kid!

November 8, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sarah

Seriously, this kid's mom just wants attention and, boy, is she getting it.

November 8, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Julia

Hang on a minute! Why haven't you outed the stupid mums who criticised the costume in the first place? That's the issue here, not the fancy dress choice. Ask them to try and justify their outrageous presumption that they know better about this Mum's child. Who the hell do they think they are?

November 9, 2010 at 4:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Censored

Wrote two comments for this article from a Christian perspective. Neither posted. So much for free speech. The only time you can say what you want is when it doesn't offend someone liberal.

November 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. tif

jenkies! :) i think he looks adorable.

November 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Rick M

I was censored as well.

November 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Samuel

I find it exceedingly sad that this is even an issue in the first place...It shows the damage that religion can do to an entire society.

Note that I said "religion" ... Not "a religion"

November 19, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Maggie

I think a lot of you are missing his point. It is "normal" for people to react poorly to the "unconventional". He never said he agreed that their behavior was right. I really don't think that he meant that being gay was the fear, but the fear is what will happen to a child that is gay. People are cruel and being gay, or being thought to be gay, makes a person a target for others. I fear that my children will be bullied or picked on for being different, it is a normal fear. I have never heard anyone say "I really enjoyed being gay in high school. Everyone one so nice." Yes good for mom for being so supportive of her son. But again I agree with the doctor. This picture and headline "My son is gay" is now in the public FOREVER regardless of what this innocent boy grows up to be. We have all read articles where quotes have been taken out of context and now there is a direct quote from his mother on the world wide web. I would be curious in 10 years how he feels about his mother making national news with his innocent choices. I am glad she was able to pull all this attention to herself if that is what she needed, though I would guess that the son may not be as happy if some school bully gets a hold of this in a few years.

April 14, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Loner

Several times I've gone as a boy for Halloween, and I'm a girl. Not one person cared.

Now a boy wants to go as his favorite character and he gets on the news for being gay or whatever. I sense gender discrimination.

April 14, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply