November 8th, 2010

Wade Phillips out as Dallas Cowboys' coach

[Updated at 5:57 p.m. ET] Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that Wade Phillips was out as the team's head coach, and that assistant head coach Jason Garrett will lead the team on an interim basis.

Jones also said he is elevating defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni to defensive coordinator.

"An in-season coaching change is something that I've not done before. It's something that I was reluctant to even consider as late as this this past week. But at this time I believe … what’s in the best interest of the organization and the fans is a coaching change," Jones said.

Jones previously had said that Phillips would finish the season as coach. But Sunday night's 45-7 loss to Green Bay - moving the Cowboys' record this season to 1-7 - helped Jones change his mind.

"I don't like the way [changing my mind] looks stability-wise as far as our organization is concerned – not my own self, but the organization – but I think [the situation] called for it, and I recognized that after the game that we just weren't playing winning football, and our best chance was to make this change," Jones said. "Now with that, I don't apologize to anybody about changing my mind."

Jones said Garrett would have a chance to secure the job long-term - especially if the team has success over the next eight games - and that Garrett has "the temperament [and] the disposition to affect a culture change."

[Original post] Wade Phillips is out as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach following an abysmal performance by the team against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, a CNN affiliate and ESPN are reporting.

Many people were expecting the move (some were demanding it), and the search "wade phillips fired" was trending No. 1 on Google on Monday afternoon.

America's Team is off to a 1-7 start, their worst since 1989, after a preseason full of Super Bowl hype. Fans and observers have placed the blame squarely on the team's coaches.

CNN affiliate KTXA in Dallas said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, an assistant head coach and one-time Cowboys backup quarterback, will take the team's reins.

Phillips, the Cowboy's seventh coach, compiled a 35-24 record in three seasons with Dallas. Only one of those wins came in the playoffs, a 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. Phillips' ouster marks the first time the Cowboys have canned a coach mid-season.

Players told CBS 11 that a team meeting was held at 3 p.m. The Cowboys are scheduled to hold a news conference at 4 p.m.

Owner Jerry Jones has repeatedly said that Phillips would finish the season, but after Sunday's 45-7 shellacking in Green Bay, he said there would be "consequences" for players and coaches.

1. Acaraho

We all knew Jerry Jones was classless and knew nothing about the NFL when he let Tom Landry go. When Jerry Jones dabbled in the drafts then we all knew he had an unmanageable ego. Jerry Jones reminds me of Theo Epstein of the Red Sox, build a team like it's your fantasy team. It doesn't work that way Jerry & Theo. You're putting together people with different habits, skills, and behaviors. The best way to build a team is from within, then weed out the nonproductive players and let the people you hire make the decisions (assuming that you hire the right people).

November 9, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • cleveland

in the NFL. it is ALWAYS the coaches fault

November 9, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. murphysmom

As a native Texan, I think we should secede from the Union. After all, we are the best state hands down. Jerry Jones is a weasel; he fired TOM LANDRY, for goodness sakes! He should go back to Arkansas and take Bill Clinton (and Hillary, too) with him. We are the greatest and the rest of you are just jealous. Oh, BTW, I love W and his dad!

November 9, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. robert

You would think and I use (think) as a way to make people THINK. Here you have a team not doning to well on offense, so you firer the coach and put the person whos running the offense in charge. Sign me up.

August 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Oklahoma29

You must be from Cali.

November 8, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cowboy

Hence, America's team

November 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ChubbyBuddy

jb1960. No we just hate you (and Jeery Jones).

November 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TheMateo

Bush was born in Connecticut. Also, this is an article about sports, lets keep politics out of it.

November 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AustinHobo

Yeah, but we have great tacos.

November 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Texan

How about Texas turns off the gas and light and you freeze in the dark?

November 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. precure

Actually Texas got the shrub when Bush was VP and it was decided that Jeb and GW would go to the states that had the most electoral votes (but not California). They weren't born there, they just went there to take control so one could be president later. Turned out it couldn't be the smart one because he married Hispanic, the handlers went for the dumb one.

November 8, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. romywhite

You are a moron. If you're going to inject your thoughts on here, take the time to sprinkle them with a little bit of logic. Otherwise, people will conclude you were unable to finish the 8th grade.

November 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. stejo

As a Californian, I can say Austin is awesome, and the rest of the state is doing a heckuva lot better fiscally than we are. But we have better surfing, and our tacos ain't bad, neither. And GW was a shrub, but I digress.

November 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joni Espinoza

Yes – Please give Texas back to the Mexicans. I know for a fact we won't go spend our money on any dumb wars overseas.

November 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Richard Boudreau

I agree, Texas sucks. A lot of this country sucks. I've been to every state except 3; South Dakota, Alaska and Hawaii. Texas does have Austin though; and Austin rocks! It's a nice bule oasis in a sea of red. And also there's Marfa. As a matter of fact a lot of west Texas is very beautiful. I also agree that Jerry Jones is a dweeeb.

November 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |