November 13th, 2010

Contaminated cheese recalled in Colorado

Mauri gorgonzola cheese sold in Costco wholesale stores is being recalled because of possible E. coli contamination.

Colorado health department officials are warning consumers who purchased Mauri gorgonzola cheese with "sell by" dates of January 13, 2011, and January 14, 2011, that the product has been recalled by the distributor, DPI Specialty Foods of Tualatin, Oregon.

The cheese was distributed only to Costco stores in Colorado in one-pound wedges.

Consumers who have any of this cheese should not eat it. They should return it to the place of purchase or dispose of it in a closed plastic bag and place it in a sealed trash can to prevent people or animals from eating it, the health department said.

Colorado and several other state health departments, the Centers for Disease Control and the Food and Drug Administration have been investigating an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 infections among people who sampled or purchased cheeses that were part of a "Cheese Road Show" at Costco stores October 14-17.

E. coli O157:H7 causes diarrhea and abdominal cramps, but some illnesses may last longer and can be more severe.

Post by:
Filed under: Colorado • Health • Nutrition • Recalls • U.S.
  1. cesar

Cheese can be used for turkey left over sandwiches. Once I saw a cartoon of Donald Duck. He told the turkey he was getting too fat, and it was about 1 month from Thanksgiving. So that the humans would not kill him and eat him, Donald Duck helped the turkey exercise. Then right before Thanksgiving, the turkey was too skinny, so the humans didn't want the turkey. Donald said something like, "See pal, you've got nothing to worry about now," but then they started looking at Donald Duck like ummm, you look fat and delicious. Donald Duck said, I'm paraphrasing,"Why are you looking at me like that for?" He got scared and he ran for his life.

November 13, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ANGE

lol second time I saw you post the story. Made me smile twice. Interesting beef jerky story...

November 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michigan girl

Thats one of my favorite donald duck cartoons. i had forgotten it thanks for the retro laugh! on the serious food poison is terrible it is quite debilitating and takes years to fully recover from. not to be underestimated it can be deadly

November 13, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. cesar

I'm amazed at how our internal bodies work. Once I had some old beef jerky, but they say beer kills bacteria. After my beef jerky and beer, within 1 hour my head was dizzy, couldn't fully balance myself and had to regergitate. I felt normal then. I'm glad some people appreciate classic cartoon episodes.

November 13, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. widdlepiggy

I've never eaten duck, but I definitely would.

November 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Floria sigmundi

It may cause Maroteaux-Lamy Syndrome

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJ4bL6O3uw&w=640&h=360]

November 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cesar

I'm so glad you appreciate a good short story, even though it is only a cartoon. If you ever see it, I am so sure you will see so much humor in those characters that is lost in the transition to the. writing and reading of it. Strange, but I always think of that cartoon every Thanksgiving.

November 13, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RUFFNUTT

who cut the cheese?

November 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Colorady

Our womenfolk here is Colorado are corn-fed anyways. We let 'em eat cheese once in a while, but not as a staple. We use corn mostly for our gals. Corn-fed women are better than cheese-fed any day. Right Jim?

November 14, 2010 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. 517blingdongding

They will probably just pass it out at foo banks.

November 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Melissa

Turduckin... A chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey... With stuffing between each. BEST THANKSGIVING EVER!

November 14, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Melissa

Really CNN? Censoring a comment about turduckin???

November 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 517blingdongding

Bless you Melissa, for thou art commanded by the Lord that thoust may not conjoin the beasts together. For all beasts are creation of the Lord, our God and those complicit in perpetuating this abhor ration known as Turdukken are of the kin of Satan.

I hereby cast out your demon dish, you sinning heathen!

No longer blaspheme the creation of wholly God! It is a witch!

November 14, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cesar

@Melissa: I take it after following those steps, one would truly be "stuffed."

November 14, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cesar

Is that right CNN? You're censoring receipes now? Don't feel bad Melissa, I've been censored too.

November 14, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |