November 16th, 2010

iReport daily challenge: #BeAHero for the hungry

Editor's Note: Learn about the top 10 CNN Heroes of 2010 and vote for the CNN Hero of the Year at CNNHeroes.com.

U.S. hunger remains at its highest levels in 15 years.

According to a Department of Agriculture report released Monday, 17.4 million families - nearly 15 percent of U.S. households - lacked money to feed one or more of their family members in 2009.

But it’s easy to feed the hungry without spending a lot of money.

We’ve been offering tiny things that you can do to make the world a little better. For the next “Be A Hero” challenge, we’re starting a virtual food drive on iReport.

1. Scour your cabinets for canned goods or other non-perishables you aren’t planning to eat.

2. When you go grocery shopping, drop a few extra pantry staples in your cart. It doesn’t have to cost anything if you pick buy one, get one free items.

Many supermarkets have drop-off points for food bank donations during this season. If you can’t find one, visit Feeding America to find a food bank near you.

Before you drop off your donation, snap a photo and upload it to iReport with your story of how you helped fight hunger this season.

1. Apoo

Let's not forget our taxes are paying for welfare if we like it or not.. stick that in the food bank

November 16, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Sounding Off

It only took one post for our first idiot to show up.

November 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anne

yep, amazing, I don't get people who is against to help others in need.

November 16, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. the great 8

Watch what you say.You never know one day you might need help....

November 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Anne

I went to the bank locator, and the only one in my area is far away. I am in Central Florida, I wonder why Publix is not enrolled in this program.

November 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • dsashin

Hi Anne, do you know about the Second Harvest Food Bank in downtown Orlando? (www.foodbankcentralflorida.org) I checked their Web site, which says "Donations can be dropped off at our Food Rescue Center located at 1918 W. Princeton St. Orlando, FL 32804 typically Monday through Saturdays between the hours of 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m."

There's also the Community Food and Outreach Center: http://www.communityfoodoutreach.org. And I found some others here: http://www.cfec.org/food.htm.

November 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fatso

If we all just ordered regular size fast-food meals every-other tuesday, hunger would end.

November 16, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Drunken Bum, lazy

Just want to thank you folks for all the free food. Now my early SS pays for nearly all my booze and drugs! And I hardly have to viet-nam vet sign at wal-mart very much now. god bless

November 16, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. g

I stopped giving food I paid for with after tax money when I saw folks dressed better and driving more expensive cars than I have show up at the food bank. Fool me once....

November 16, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply