November 17th, 2010

Woman in Florida diagnosed with cholera

A woman who recently returned to Florida from Haiti has been diagnosed with cholera, the Florida Department of Health announced Wednesday.

"We are working with our health care partners to ensure appropriate care of this individual and prevent the spread of this disease within the community," said State Surgeon General Ana M. Viamonte Ros in a written statement.

She said Florida authorities will "continue to monitor the state for any future cases."

The news follows an announcement that the cholera outbreak in Haiti has spread across the border to the Dominican Republic.

The cholera outbreak confirmed last month in northwest Haiti has killed 1,110 people, and 18,383 people have been hospitalized with the disease, according to Haiti's health ministry.

Post by:
Filed under: Cholera • Dominican Republic • Florida • Haiti • Health
  1. BlameDraco

And so it begins... I wish they could make diseases affect only the stupid or evil on this planet. That could be fun to watch. I actually thought it would eventually spread here. Anyone ever notice when you look at a map of the US the row of states from Minnesota to Louisiana looks like a guy getting an anvil dropped on his head? Always thought that was funny.

November 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Conrad

Be careful what you wish for Draco. Someone may think that you're evil and/or stupid...

November 17, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Your post reeks of such ignorance you may very well be labeled both evil and stupid.

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • NP

Ha, that anvil thing is funny. I live in Mn and never noticed that.

November 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • taffd

that would be fun to watch? You are an incredible, arrogant ass. I'll bet there are a few people in your family that could be called stupid–maybe you'd have a wonderful time watching them die. But right now, you're the one that appears to stupid, so watch out where the water you drink comes from.

November 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Yeah, you're sounding pretty evil and stupid right now. Hope you live near a hospital.

November 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Floridian

JUST GREAT!!! ANOTHER PROBLEM FROM OTHERS OUTSIDE OF OUR COUNTRY. The Government needs to egt a hold of this now. This woman should have been checked and Quarantined before stepping outside that airport. Let's see how long this will take to get under control

November 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Legion501st

Our country? What exactly have you done for OUR country besides sitting on you fat ass watching Dancing With The Stars.

November 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Considering we pay close to half our income in taxes, I'd say we all do a LOT for this country.

November 17, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

dang Legion.......is that some of the respect and discipline they taught you in OUR military?....

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well...

It should be pretty easy to contain in sanitary conditions. You have to drink contaminated water or get it in your mouth somehow to catch it if I'm not mistaken.

November 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grenadine

the fact that you capitalized your very first sentence makes you look like a heartless, selfish, and ignorant person. Next, you're going to tell us that Haiti deserved this outbreak because they're lazy or something ridiculous.

November 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floridian

Actually Legion501st
      I do plenty for this country and never ask for anything back except for peace and quiet when I can actually get off from working 80+ hours week. TV? Huh I wish I could watch it for at 10 mins a day. What do I do for this country? Hmmm let's see, I pay outrageous taxes, payroll, state and county. I own my own business, so I pay for those taxes. I pay outrageous medical insurance for me and my family, so the rest of the hard workers in this country do not have to support me and my family. Unlike some people in this country that take medicaid and food stamps when they do not deserve it. I pay outrageous car insurance unlike others that drive around with none and get away with it. I am a honest American Citizen that follows the rules. People can come in and effect us with these dangerous diseases and the US Government won't do anything about. So who is sitting on their A*? and watching Dancing with The Stars? Certainly not me.

November 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ndTimmy

@Floridian The US government is doing something they are in Haiti trying to stop it. The UN is slow to respond to this crisis. Cholera is easy to treat if caught early, this isn't an epidemic as much as FOX news wants you think.

November 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shana

I thought the same thing. If they knew she came from Haiti, she should have been quarrantined for 3-5 days. Now I bet she's in a hospital where mofos don't wash their hands...it's finta be a whole lot of sick people in Florida!

November 17, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Dude

Legion501st, something is seriously wrong with you man. I am in exactly the same situation as Floridian... WE do plenty you arrogant BLEEP. WE probably paid for that steel plate in your head.

November 17, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Dude

Why is it that so many in the military think that if you haven't served in the military that somehow your a piece of excrement.

November 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anton

I am very concerned about the level of english used, For instance," Diagnosed with cholera" is improper. One can diagnosed Having Cholera???

December 9, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cody

Here we go again...do you remember Swine Flu?

November 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floridian

Oh yea I sure do!! My son had it. Infected by another kid at his summer camp. That was the most terrifying summer I have ever had.

November 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

People,
    Does this surprise anyone out there?

November 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Reality

Just when I thought that it would be safe to drink out of an open septic drain, this has to happen. Great. Now what am I going to do?

November 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jessie

What about all the people that flew with her on the same plane? Since there was an outbreak, she should have been tested before she stepped on a plane. Anyone should.

November 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ke

Cholera doesn't spread through the air and typically isn't spread from person to person. You get it from eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water.

November 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

Of course every media outlet will make a bigger deal out of this than is necessary. Remember swine flu and avian flu? All we have to do is quarantine every passenger flying in from Haiti and the Dominican Republic (that includes American citizens who choose to travel there) until we are sure they are Cholera-free. Problem solved.

November 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. marcus lucas

Well looks like another pandemic is in the making.

November 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PARROT

THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD FOLKS.....!!!.....2012 IS HERE....!!!!

November 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oklahoma29

Lol it's only 2010! You're a few years off.

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christin

OMG that is funny. About peed my pants!!

November 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • victim of democrat hypocrisy

Congratulations! You've just made the stupidest post of the day!
      Not to mention you don't know how to turn off your Caps Lock key.

November 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Napping

@victim of democrat hypocrisy

DIdn't quite catch the sarcasm in that one, eh?

November 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Not a Doctor

Cholera's not really transmittable from person to person. It's a tough thing to deal with for those infected, but it appears that sanitary measures prevent most outbreaks. Easy for us to contain in the US, but tough for third world countries.

November 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. PARROT

THIS IS A PANDEMIA ....WHERE IS "WHO" WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

November 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • PARROT

GLOBAL CHOLERA PANDEMIC OR PANDEMIA.......!

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. anonymous

was she haitian and corrupted? she was most likely paid by the haitian government to get infected and bring it back to the usa! it's time the state dept ban all travel in to and out of haiti!

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fredy

Oh great let's blame the govt for what they didn't do and then claim the govt is doing too much. Something about cake come to mind.

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. luis

Here we go again!!

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Reality

Unless you plan on splashing around in, and injesting other peoples feces, there isn't a heck of a lot to worry about. Except for those two women that share a cup. (sarcasm)

November 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |