November 21st, 2010

AIDS activists praise pope's condom comments

Pope Benedict XVI's possible shift on condom use is a "significant and positive step forward," the head of the United Nations anti-AIDS campaign said, welcoming the potentially historic remark.

"This move recognizes that responsible sexual behavior and the use of condoms have important roles in HIV prevention," UNAIDS executive director Michel Sidibe said in a statement.

"This will help accelerate the HIV prevention revolution," he said Saturday.

The Roman Catholic Church firmly opposes artificial contraception, including condoms.

FULL POST

Filed under: Christian • Religion • World
  1. Basic 101

There were no shift in papacy supporting use of condoms. The pope remarks were taken out of context.

November 21, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. PopeWbenefits

I uh like-uh the pull and pray method. Iss nice yes. My wife loves the pearl necklace I give her for birthday.

November 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CaptainObvious

Unless everyone becomes catholic enforcing your views on condom use is stupid.

November 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. john peergin

What I do in my private life is none of the pope's business.

November 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PopeWbenefits

It ees my-uh beezneece. I uh speak for God. God gave uh yew pp in his image.

November 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PopeWbenefits

I know I'm a Polish, but dis Italy eez rubbing off on uh me.

November 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Laurie

There are only 2 men who have been allowed in my bedroom, my dad when I was little and my husband!
    The church is too controling and should stay OUT of peoples bedrooms!

November 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dad

Laurie, don't you dare breathe a word about those visits!

November 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laurie

Dad....haha very funny! You know what I meant.

November 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Uncle Zeus

I'm glad the Pope sees the value in using condoms. For his sake, I just hope its not too late. It was be really embarrasing if he got AIDs.

November 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Priestess

Good. Now the pedophile priests can contain their demon seed – no more DNA evidence.

November 21, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

The use of condoms does not stop the AIDS virus. Condoms can't even stop the much much larger sperm 100% of the time. The virus is found in blood. There is blood in your mucous, tears, sweat...any bodily fluid. C. Evrett Koop, fmr. Surgeons General, likened wearing a condom to prevent AIDS to taking your family on a long vacation, and upon returning home, making sure everyone's seatbelt was fastened just prior to parking the car in the garage.

November 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 1950sPropaganda

@Phil: Abstinence is truly the only 100% way to prevent stds, but condoms do help. Please read up on more current methods of std prevention. C everett koop was SG 30 years ago. Sheep skin are the only ones that shouldn't be used for the reasons you stated. They make latex with spermicidal lubricant now. They have been tested to work and have a 90%+ effectiveness.

November 22, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. phil

@50's...that's what Dr. Koop was saying. Condom's aren't 100% effective stopping sperm. You say condoms are 90% effective vs. sperm, so that would make them much less effective vs. the tiny aids virus. You failed to comment on the main-thrust of my post: the aids virus hides in blood cells, so even if condoms could stop the virus from transmitting through them, you still have every other bodily fluid besides semen to deal with.

November 22, 2010 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |